Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So do you see him getting a contract extension or where you unaware that his deal is up with the Jets after this year?

2. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I do see him getting a 2 year extension ultimately.

I think the mindset with the organization will be that they don't want to disrupt the "chemistry" that Schotty has with Sanchez.

Again hope I'm wrong.

3. CatoTheElder

I really don't see where you're coming from on this one.

The offense hasn't improved in the past three seasons under Schottenheimer, Sanchez hasn't really improved in the past three seasons under Schottenheimer, and Rex had three consecutive weeks where he had to make a "this will be the return to the ground-and-pound offense" statement because he thinks the team is throwing too much.

I think all of the signs are pointing towards the Jets needing to go in another direction, including most of what Rex has been saying.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hard to say at this point. Woody Johnson has not been a stand pat owner at all.

On the other hand the Jets haven't actually cleaned house since he has owned the team. Tannenbaum survived the Parcells departure and the Bradway demotion. Bradway survived his own demotion and the Mangini departure. Schotty survived the Mangini departure.

It's not clear what Woody's overall philosophy is at this point and he has created a continuity in the Jet's organization that has occasionally turned morbid to the tune of 4-12.

5. CatoTheElder

I don't think this decision is going to come from Woody so much as it will come from Tannenbaum and Rex.

The owner making hiring/firing decisions regarding the head coach is well within his right and responsibility to the team, but the owner meddling with the coordinators is crossing into Al Davis' realm of bad ideas.

I don't feel like getting into anything regarding Tannenbaum or Bradway but Schottenheimer was brought back on Rex's request and according to all reports, Rex had to convince him to do it. I think it's pretty plain to see that Sanchez's skill set doesn't really fit into Schottenheimer's system.

I don't think it's enough to get him fired mid-season, especially since Rex doesn't strike me as a coach who would be willing to can a guy only five weeks into the regular season but then again I'm not Rex and I'm not going to pretend to know/reliably guess what's going on in his head right now for the offense.

6. Br4d

I'm fairly sure that his line of thought on the offense is along the lines of "those fuckers are costing me a shot at the Super Bowl." He'd never say that but it has to be frustrating for him to realize that as long as that side of the ball is weak he can't spend the necessary resources to plug the holes on defense that are sprouting open now.

It has to be a bit scary for him to realize that the Jet's defense right now is older than the defense he left behind in Baltimore after 2008 and nowhere near as good overall.

7. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

Maybe then I'm reading too much into the following:

Rex said he is fortunate to have Schotty

Mark on 1050 ESPN said he has a good realtionship with Schotty

Those two things could definitely just be fodder for the media.

I think the two things that make me a bit nervous are:

The Jets denying the report by The Daily News and the Derrick Mason trade.

Those were two things I really don't remember the Jets ever doing. The Jets have denied reports, but not one that quickly. That tells me that maybe they will defend Schotty no matter what. The Mason trade just happened so fast. Again it seems like the jets want to get rid of any thing negative associated with Schotty.

8. Br4d

The Mason trade was a necessary move. The Jets have clearly established a "do not go to the media with crap" policy by trading the last person who did this. Nobody is going to shoot his mouth off right now without thinking very carefully about what he is saying and what the possible ramifications for him are.

If the Jets just let the comment flow continue without acting they'd have risked a major meltdown at some point this season, maybe as early as next Monday if the Jets can't beat the Fins for whatever reason but particularly if the offense seems to be the problem.

9. sky1597vw

sky1597vw Banned

New York Jets Jerseys

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Injuries derailed the 07 season more than lack of talent.

Yep that's exactly what I meant. Sanchez is a limited qb=Brett Favre is a limited qb.

The play calling in 08 was more loose the playcalling became conservative once Sanchez came to town.

11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Ummm what? Both the offense and Sanchez have improved over the last three seasons.

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You can't expect even at the worst of times for these guys to hatchet each other in the press. Whatever their issues or feelings toward one another, they will deal with it in house and we won't really know much until the dust settles.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Which may or may not be true. I know others used to complain that the plays were taking forever to come in, but I have complained about Sanchez taking too long to get the snap since day 1.

I used to think it was partly because of all of the pre-snap musical chairs garbage (which I rightly blamed Schotty for) but given that it's still occurring even after we stopped that crap, I have to believe it's Sanchez.

I never want to see Hackett again. Never.

You are right regarding Sanchez though. He often looks lost (though I'm starting to believe it's fear, not cluelessness). He wastes a lot of time, and that has to stop. All of that time spent with the formation already set also gives the D a chance to make their reads. (Again, this is key to why the hurry-up offense works for Sanchez, it gives the D less time to read the formation.) Also, when the QB yells "KILL" loud enough that the color commentator remarks on how he just changed the play from pass to run, obviously it's going to make the D piss their pants with laughter.

I actually think we need to shorten the passing attack, as a sort of pseudo-run game. While keeping the rushing attack in ground and pound mode, use short passes to set up the D. Then once Holmes and Burress get separation downfield, go to play-action and let Sanchez strike.

Exactly! This is exactly what I was saying! :beer:

And I wouldn't say that's unfair.

Totally agree with you on all of this.

Jerk. :smile:

As much as I defend not firing him, I do agree that he has to go after this season. Unless of course Brees doesn't re-sign with the Saints and wants to come here. Brees is one of the few QBs with both the QB IQ and the talent to run Schottenheimer's system.

Sanchez isn't, and he's the eggs in the basket. So barring a miraculous turnaround, the guy to go has to be Schotty. After the season.

Mentally? Yes. He vocally refused to learn the system because it was too complicated for him. Favre is the world's greatest backyard QB. It wouldn't shock me if at his Canton induction Donald Driver says "Brett used to draw our routes on his hand in the huddle, and he'd still just chuck it up!"

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Kris Jenkins said something great in the Post yesterday. He said how he wasn't sure what the problem was, but the last Jets drive you saw Sanchez look like Aaron Rodgers, hit receivers and go right down the field when they opened it up and threw the ball past 5 yards.

That leads him (and me) to believe the problem is with the system and offensive design. He thinks a change needs to be made, which puts him in the company of just about every Jets fan. We'll never know what Sanchez truly can do while he is handcuffed by this assclown offensive coordinator and his bullshit system.

For all the people who defend Shittenheimer, I'm still yet to hear anybody actually say anything that he does GOOD. Is there anything?

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

So basically what you're saying is Schottenheimer would be a great offensive coordinator, so long as he has a hall of fame quarterback in the prime of his career playing for him.

How many QB's can actually succeed under Shotty's bullshit system.. 2, 3 tops? Guys that can run any system and succeed pretty much? That's clearly more of an indictment on Shittenheimer's garbage offense than it is on Mark Sanchez or any of the players running it.

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Anybody can look like Aaron Rogers throwing into a prevent defense against the 32nd ranked defense in the league who basically let them use 8 minutes on the clock to get down the field. Our savior had 70 yards for the part of the game that mattered. Maybe there is a reason Rex and Schotty don't take the reigns off.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

"Our problematic Qb looked great at the point of the game where the Jets were down by two scores in the fourth quarter! Against a crappy pass D!"

"The reason he only got 70 yards in the first three quarters was all on the OC! He called his own plays in the fourth quarter! He must have!"

Too funny.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That's the thing.

The list now includes everyone on this side of the argument here, and Brian Billick, Chris Collinsworth, Phil Simms, and Kris Jenkins.

But we're wrong.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yep, we're wrong.

The play caller that doesn't call screens, loves fake reverses 1 out of ever 3 plays, that uses tons of bullshit motion that accomplishes nothing for no reason, that has 3 receivers run the same routes right near each other, that doesn't take chances down the field, that shows no creativity, that has players on his own team complain about him, that has former players of the team bash him, that has media analysts and former coaches bash him, etc, etc, etc is just fine.

Nevermind that 4 different qb's have failed to have great success in his system now in his time with the Jets. Nevermind that 2 of them (Chad and Favre) went on to have tremendous seasons 1 year after leaving this garbage system, and Sanchez was a top 5 pick who is handcuffed. Kellen Clemens probably just sucked.

Nevermind that he can't gameplan at all and it shows by the team's shitty starts every single game. Nevermind that he can't adjust in the middle of games to what defenses are doing, specifically in the Raiders game. Nevermind any of that. We are wrong. Shittenheimer rules. The problem is, was, and will continue to be EVEYRTHING and EVERYBODY else.

20. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

Don't forget Jim Mora, who said on the Coaches Show? or one of the shows, on NFL Network that we're handling the play calling wrong for our young QB, and not only that, we're not utilizing the strengths of the talent he has around him.

He said if we give Mark more freedom, and given how good Mark is on the move, we may need to even consider something more similar to the style of play Pittsburgh goes with... Where the QB/WRs/RBs/TEs have "play break down keys" and nobody quits moving. Not the WRs, not the QB, nobody, when a play breaks down. And what the skill position players read in the defense, dictates how they "scramble" when a play breaks down.

Mora noted how good Holmes was in that system, and how good Holmes is at reading defenses, and finding the soft spots in defenses, too, when he's not "shackled" in to a "rigid" system. He said given Mark's strengths, and Holmes' he's surprised the Jets don't move towards that, especially with the o-line struggles.

He also said another option, he thought maybe they could give Mark a more condensed, more streamlined, playbook. He said when your QB starts holding the ball too long, your o-line isn't playing well, there are signs they may be getting rattled... Simplify some things, max protect, chip, roll him out of the pocket, and other things that keep him upright and allow him time to make his reads/decisions...

I don't know, Jim Mora seemed to think the issue was on the scheme/play calling/lack of adjustment. He's an offensive coach, right? So, he's knowledgeable on offenses, or am I making up that offense is his background?

Or Michael Irvin, who said on the NFLN this weekend point blank, that, "their OC is a problem. I know he is..." Or when Michael Irvin said the Ravens loss has to be in large part attributed to the "awful playcalling of their OC" who, as Michael put it, had us trying to pass in situations we shouldn't have been trying to pass, thus putting Mark in bad situations. He cited a few instances, like the first turnover/TD of the game.

Or Marshall Faulk...

I don't know, but there really seem to be a lot of people thinking Schotty is driving us in to a ditch. And potentially harming Mark, while at it, at least, Billick and Mora said the Jets had to be careful, of harming Mark.