Epstein going to the Cubs most likely

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Don, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What a shame it isn't Cashman intead.

"Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is ready to leave Boston to run the Chicago Cubs, according to the Boston Herald. The report says that an announcement is expected to be made within the next "24-48 hours," but that it's pending a few possible roadblocks. First of all, the Red Sox still have Epstein under contract through next season and are reportedly hoping to retain him. Second, if the Red Sox do allow Epstein to take the job, they reportedly will want something back for Epstein (like a player, possibly). "

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/32667539

2. IATA

IATA Trolls

Ya, leave after you left the team in a fucking mess. Good riddance, enjoy Chicago.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Haha, fuck the Red Sox. Typical Boston behaivor. As soon as things go a little sour they bail on the GM that brought them 2 WS titles and one of the best managers in the game. They had a bad fucking month not 2 or 3 shitty seasons in a row. Typical Masshole overreaction.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

hahahhahahahhahahahhahaha G.R.S.C.

5. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Wait til the spin machine gets geared up. "Epstein was never that great. It was really Lucchino making all those moves. We called him 'Boy Genius' mockingly."

6. IATA

IATA Trolls

that was more an observation in general. tell me he didnt leave a mess he created? he'll never win in chicago.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

uhhh, they want to keep him. he wants to leave. try again?

8. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Theo's just the guy to offer Pujols 30+million dollars a year.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

G.R.S.C. :beer:

Can't believe that potentially both of the douchebags will be gone. The Red Sox aren't really a mess, though. They will contend next year like always.

Pooholes to the Cubs wouldn't surprise me at all with shitsnap at the controls.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Lemme get you some cheese to go with that whine. You honestly believe he wants to leave? He is from Boston, this was his dream job. There is no way he wants to leave. He's gonna say all the right things but that organization is looking for scapegoats. It's typical Boston attitude.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Buster Olney is reporting that the Red Sox top management are currently meeting to figure out how to spin this. Epstein is on the verge of signing a $15-20MM deal with the Cubs.

I'm shocked but overjoyed that Boston is in the process of losing their two best pieces.

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

He's stated several times he'd like to work for the Cubs. The Sox couldn't have said no to his request to talk to Chicago, not after the debacle with Beane.

this is a typical stupid attitude. blame the people you dont like, and paint the ones who are actually making the moves as the good guys.

13. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

I'll have my own private celebration when he's gone. I've been consistent in my view that he's incredibly overrated. The farm system improved but that's mostly scouting, and he's been good with trades. But his failures in free agency, both with bringing guys in and letting them walk are inexcusable.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I just don't get that.

AGonz was a great signing. Sure, Crawford was a stinker of a deal, but it's one I'd have made were I in charge of the Yankees. I was hugely in favor of getting Crawford. I never would have signed Lackey myself, but as a back end to Lester, Beckett, Buckholz, Dice-k coming into this year, it's hard to argue against. That made Wakefield depth in the rotation. He brought in Aceves who I thought (rightly so) was a mistake for the Yankees to give up on.

Now I'm admittedly not intimately acquainted with the day-to-day of the Red Sox, but as an outsider, it looks like a terrible move letting him go. Just as bad as Francona, which I think is ridiculous.

I get on Brian Cashman's case a lot, and I always wind up admitting that he's great for the Yankees organization in the end. It's always easy to believe someone else can do things better when you don't win a title, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

15. devilonthetownhallroof

He was a trade. And his production was great, but I'm far less excited to have him after his whole "god didn't want us in the playoffs, oh well" attitude.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Crawford, I think he will be back to his normal form next year. However, in typical Epstein fashion he outbid himself and paid far too much for a player they didn't really NEED. He's a very good (not great) player who doesn't really have a spot in this lineup, and it may end up costing them a superior player in Ellsbury. The move was a mistake, but not because Crawford is going to be terrible. Even at his career peak he has no shot at living up to that contract.

Again, he overpaid. John Lackey is the highest paid pitcher in Boston. He wasn't brought in as the 4th or 5th starter, and if he was then Epstein overpaid by more that I thought. This was yet another move that he bid against himself for a guy that didn't really fit. He should have gone after some second tier type guys to fill in the back of the rotation/provide depth. For example, Randy Wolf, Jon Garland... those are the kind of guys who were available that you go after for short deals to fill out your rotation, not $82 million for a guy who openly admits he hates pitching at your home park.

These are the only types of free agent signings that he does well. Aceves, Bill Mueller, David Ortiz, etc. Relatively minor moves that can pay off big. But with the big ticket guys, he's fucking atrocious.

I'm a huge Francona fan. That move sucked, but after the article today it seems like it needed to be made.

16. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Embrace the Ben Cherington Era.

Although, any guy stupid enough to divorce Wendi Nix can't have all his sprockets spinning in the right direction.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jesus red sox fans are a bunch of miserable assholes. What part of the past two championships since Jesus walked the earth did you find fault with?

18. devilonthetownhallroof

Nothing. But the 2004 team was more Duquette than Epstein by a mile, and in 2007 they were led by guys they got in a trade made while he was in a gorilla suit. I'm not saying he's the worst GM ever, but he gets WAY too much credit and his numerous mistakes seem to get glossed over.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The savaging of Tito in that article was the goddamn icing on the cake. That has Lucchino's fingerprints all over it, and someone in the organization needs to hang for it.

20. devilonthetownhallroof

I agree. Just to clarify, I think it was a necessary move because of how the clubhouse was, not because of the smear campaign sent out by ownership.