Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Is this going to be your thing now? Run around the site trolling me? I mean, I get it, you have nothing better to do, and that's fine. Just let me know.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ugh. Don't even remind me of that bullshit...

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Now... this is both unwarranted AND stupid.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Very well. My brother had something to chip in there too in that tune:

"Matt Ryan, while he sucked at it, tried to read the coverage and adjust his offense to that while under the center last night. Do I see that from Sanchez? HAHAHAHA"

I was of opinion that the aforementioned situation occurred more or less because Schottenheimer had this stupid tendency to sit on his ass while the clock was ticking - but that was till last year. (I remember watching the horror show that is Jets offense last year some time, when Sanchez went into the huddle - meaning he got the play from the sideline - at 15 second mark all game long. Or if you forgot, during the playoff game against the Colts, Sanchez was frequently seen yelling and barking at the sideline, demanding plays. Because of these things, I assumed that bigger part of the problem lay with Schottenheimer.)

That tendency did die out this season (Thank god) but Sanchez is not particularly doing a good job of reading the coverage and directing the personnel against the coverage. That much I agree. On top of that, Sanchez seems to spend good 7-8 seconds in the huddle while doing nothing. (That's your observation first and foremost, but I did witness a few of these instances throughout this season as well.) He does look around the defense, but more often than not he looks lost. That falls on the QB first and foremost, but I'd say the QB coach is doing piss-poor job right there too. Frankly, I am seriously liking the idea of bringing Paul Hackett back to the organization, to teach Sanchez how to be an effective QB. (Hackett is currently not employed by any NFL franchise, last time I checked.) So, on that tune, I agree that Schottenheimer is not entirely to blame.

That's where you and I have difference in opinions I guess.

I have iterated times and again, what a catastrophic combination it is to have short passing attack compliment the conventional rushing attack. I agree that it is not a play calling issue. I would say it is a play design - and offensive philosophy to an extent - issue.

If Sanchez is at fault, that is because he doesn't make the defense respect the snap count. Defenses expect the snap count, then BOOM! they tee off on snap. He must use his tools at disposal like hard counts on 3rd down and short for instance - Sanchez never does this. That is squarely his fault.

Other than that, I am of an opinion that Schottenheimer is responsible for such an ineffective offensive scheme that have festered the team for the past 5 years.

We don't know how much Rex is involved in the conducting of the offense, so I will bite my tongue on this issue. I do agree with you that Rex must have his team focused and disciplined - for that one Rex has to share the blame.

And Edwards - that's on Tannenbaum, not Schottenheimer. (For umpteenth time now.)

Playing smart falls squarely on the coaching staff, not just Schottenheimer. He gets blame for that horrible designs and even worse play calls, but other than that, other mistakes fall on the position coaches and ultimately the HC as well. In that regard, you and I are in agreement there too.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

the thing that everyone is missing is that the playcalling is the way it is because of who we have as the qb. we have a limited qb so they are making calls to play to his strengths. yes we've all seen sanchez throw the ball deep but he isn't very consistent. we all hoped that sanchez would have improved but he is still making rookie mistakes.

but in all my years watching the jets the fans were never happy with any of our offensive cordinators.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:wink: :beer: ........................

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Pennington couldn't do Schotty's bidding.
    Neither could Favre.
    Now Sanchez fails.

But somehow this time it's on Sanchez, right?

*Good job being a retard there.*

8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

9. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

The running game is suffering because they have not been focused on it. You have to practice it and be committed to it. That means in practice. You then build PA off of that. We either line up under center and run the ball or line up in shotgun and throw. When we throw off PA, it is usually successful. The offense has become soft and that affects the D also because of practIce.

Indy, finesse D
    NE finesse D
    Steelers hard noses D
    Ravens hard nose D

It is a mentality as much as anything.

10. The 1985er

and what exactly was "schotty's bidding" in 2006 pennington had a very good season, in 08 favre was having success until he got hurt.

but of course blame the oc. why dont you look at the qb and think maybe its him thats sucking out there.

11. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

:rofl:

fillah

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

PA CMP % Yards TD INT
    Chad Pennington 2006: 313 485 64.5 3,352 17 16

Mark Sanchez 2010: 278 507 54.8 3,291 17 13

So in 2006 Pennington put up roughly the same yardage, the same TDs and more INTs than a second year QB with accuracy issues and streaky decision-making. Find another argument.

For all of the Schottenheimer support, please show me where the evidence is that he should keep this job. Where has he improved as a coach? I don't expect anyone to believe that the offensive struggles under this still young Ryan/Sanchez era is all his fault because they're not. At best, he and his system have hit their ceiling here.

Schottenheimer wants to run a timing-based offense of quick throws. Sanchez isn't that QB. Schottenheimer's contract is up at the end of the season. Sanchez is going to be around for longer than that. His time is done. Fuck culpability at this point. He's off the team next year and both sides will be all the better for it.

#3532 CatoTheElder, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  13. The 1985er

very good was a reach but he ran the offense better

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He put up the same regular season record and bowed out to a team that Sanchez helped beat while putting up a worse completion percentage, fewer TDs and more INTs.

What else you got?

15. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

You're still reaching. Defending Schotty at this point is closing in on becoming impossible.

16. The 1985er

with a worse team in 06, he had two rookie offensive linemen. worse receivers and a worse defense. we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs that year.

17. The 1985er

i'm saying that the playcalling is the way it is because sanchez is limited. dont get me wrong schotty has made some dumb calls (running the ball on 3rd and 9, throwing on 3rd and 2 etc) but some of it has to do with the qb.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He had a 4-12 schedule that he was playing against. Sanchez is playing against an 11-5 schedule. Huge difference in strength of opposition. This is one of the things that lead to the collapse again in 2007: the Jets weren't that good in 2006 but they had a 2nd place schedule anyway in 2007.

19. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Doesn't get much dumber than that comment, I guess Brett Farve is pretty limitted too huh

20. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

The conversation now needs to change from

SHOULD Schotty be the OC? TO

WILL Schotty be the OC for the remainder of this and beyond?

Right now there isn't much support at all for Schotty in the fan base and that's obvious.

Problem is fans don't make decisions though voicing displeasure does help.

I have a bad feeling that Schotty isn't going anywhere even after this season.

Hope I'm wrong, but I could still see this team doing just enough on offense to convince Tannenbaum and Woody to keep him around. Rex and Sanchez don't seem like they want to voice any displeasure even when its warranted.

Thoughts?