He was inactive - The Official Kenrick Ellis Excuses Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 10, 2011.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So, we activated every cornerback known to man this weekend, and Kenrick Ellis is a project player. What other excuses are there for why this guy hasn't taken a live snap in the NFL at this point?

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He got deported

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's apparently not practicing well against the likes of Colin Baxter and Matt Slauson.

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I read that Rex's decision has been based upon the opponent, and especially this week we needed the d-backs. Rex went on to praise the kid, so I am not concerned though I would like to see him on the field. Rex said he would be, soon. My bet is the Dolphin game.

5. abyzmul

I remember when Rex Ryan's praise of a player's progress gave me hope for that player. That kind of went away after 2009. Rex gives praise to every players he talks about in his pressers.

6. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It could have something to do with having two good players ahead of him on the depth chart at that position, and the need to fill the roster to add depth at positions where we are weaker. Not sure.

Before the previous pat's game, Rex also loaded up on every db we could activate, and it worked that time.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Eh, kid came from Hampton, and our DL hasn't suffered a single injury yet, so there's been no reason to thrust him into action.

That said, the way our DL is getting pushed around, I wouldn't mind seeing what the kid would do. I trust Rex with the defense, and since I haven't seen Ellis play, it's hard to judge what he is, but we all know Rex loves playing with extra DBs.

8. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

That's like his rule for interviews, talk up 2 players and 1 coach.

Good for team building, bad for getting actual info...

9. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I think Devito was awful. No reason we can't have this kid in the rotation.

10. abyzmul

I like that stance, although I think it's becoming pretty apparent that without Bryan Thomas holding the edge on rushing downs, it doesn't matter how many defensive backs we have on the field. The Pats just provided a gameplan for every one of our upcoming games. Motion Cromartie's man to the weak side and rush that side mercilessly.

If we can't improve the physical play outside then we have to load up in the middle of the line to blow plays up more often. Our run blitzes suck ass because as much as I love me some lunchpail guys like Pouha and Devito, they're never going to be more than lunchpail. We need more help up the middle to mask the deficient LB run coverage.

11. abyzmul

Small school excuse? Is that one still working for Ducasse?

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Ducasse is a year further along in his development, and we actually have had big holes on the line he could contribute to.

Either way, I think Ducasse gets next year's training camp and coaching before we totally write him off. He's still big and strong, but he's raw as hell. He can't be the guy we count on off the bench though.

So now guys are busts if they aren't active 5 games into their careers?

I have no idea how good Ellis is, I've never seen him outside of preseason. None of our DL have been hurt this year, so he's never gotten a real chance. If week 10 comes, and Ellis still hasn't been active, and the run D is still floundering, fine, but right now, it's too early to say anything.

13. 624

624 Banned

It worked his rookie year.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think Ellis will be ready to roll this week coming up.. With more 4 man lines in the absence of Thomas, and holes springing in the run D, we can use a 350 pound man in the middle to help things.

15. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Did you miss when Devito rag-dolled Mankins a few times .. He's a tough player ..

16. abyzmul

Certainly not. I actually have a lot more hope for Ellis than this thread would suggest, but the fact that this guy is a non-entity up until now isn't concerning you at all?

How will you feel if he's inactive for the Dolphins?

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Looking back thru the game thread, I saw you posted that yesterday but don't remember it. Granted, I was completely wasted, but I thought DeVito played shitty myself and was thinking it's time to activate Ellis.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I hope he is active vs Miami since they'll probably run the ball more, but if he's not active, I won't have a big issue or think he's a bust or anything. If it's week 12 and he hasn't played yet, then I might start to worry.

19. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

-- oops, deleted.

20. abyzmul

He's great at penetrating and beating O-linemen for leverage, that's a strength. Did you miss when he arm-tackled Law Firm like 4 times yesterday? Devito is lunchpail. We need better than that is our LB run defense is going to be as thin as it is.