Latest Namath Rant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hate that he is saying it but I see absolutely nothing wrong or inaccurate with what he is saying.

"FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- This time, Joe Namath spared Rex Ryan. Instead of blaming the New York Jets' coach for the latest loss, as he did last week, he went after Santonio Holmes, Vladimir Ducasse, offensive-line coach Bill Callahan and the team's personnel department.

The Jets' legendary quarterback was critical of Holmes, who called out the offensive line and Mark Sanchez after the team's 34-17 loss Sunday night to the Baltimore Ravens. Namath said Holmes' comments could rip apart the locker room.

"That was a mistake, it surely was," Namath said Monday afternoon on ESPN New York 1050's "The Michael Kay Show." "For Holmes, as a captain, to go outside, to the media, and start pointing fingers. ... I mean, he's right about the ball getting out late to him (on the interception), and he's right about the offensive line, but that can create a problem in the locker room. ... That divisiveness can bury a team. They've got to correct that right away."

Kay: Joe Namath - 10/3 Listen

Jets legend Joe Namath joins "The Michael Kay Show" with some poignant statements about the Jets' offensive line, draft selections and about postgame comments made by Santonio Holmes.

More Podcasts ยป

After the game, Holmes said the problem "starts up front with the big guys," adding that Sanchez "has to do a better job of making reads and getting the ball where he needs to, so his playmakers can make plays." He said Sanchez made a late throw on Lardarius Webb's interception, which was returned 73 yards for a touchdown.

Namath took issue with the decision to bench rookie center Colin Baxter for three series in the second quarter, putting the seldom-used Ducasse at left guard and moving left guard Matt Slauson to center. Broadway Joe said the Jets "panicked a little bit," saying that Baxter shouldn't have been blamed for the two fumbled snaps.

Without naming names, Namath ripped the personnel department for using a second-round pick on Ducasse, who has been a disappointment. He said the front office has failed to provide quality depth on the offensive line, which took a hit with the loss of All-Pro center Nick Mangold (sprained ankle).

"Right now, it's scary," Namath said of the line. "There's no depth, no quality depth. Putting Ducasse in the game, and moving Slauson over in the game, was a real reach, man. You get to look at these players every day in practice. I know coach Bill Callahan ... is a heck of a coach, but come on, who are we trying to convince that these players are quality?"

"I'm not sure what's going on there," said Namath, continuing his rant. "We picked some poor players and we're not owning up to it. That's what it amounts to. You've got guys on the roster who have been picked and you keep trying to say, 'OK, they're going to work out.' Well, guess what? We tried that with (Vernon) Gholston and it didn't work out.

"You have to (say), 'Hey, I made a bad pick, a bad selection,' and move on. The Jets didn't do that and it's a little late for the season to get it righted."

Namath refused to write off the season, claiming the Jets still are in the hunt at 2-2. But he didn't sound optimistic about the upcoming game, saying, "It looks like things are going to be very difficult going into New England next week."

The Hall-of-Fame quarterback defended Sanchez, saying Sunday night wasn't his fault.

"There isn't a quarterback playing this game who is going to be big time if he doesn't have help on that line of scrimmage," Namath said. "It starts up front and there's a major problem for the Jets right now going into next week."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...pares-rex-ryan-rips-others-new-york-jets-loss

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

For once I agree with him.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

This should get a solid reaction.

4. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

I have to agree with everything

5. Tenn_JetsFanatic

Some valid points, but the offensive line struggling means you have to call certain plays that don't require much time to happen.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I didn't really disagree with him last week, though I didn't think that Rex inflating his players to think they're better than they are really was necessarily a bad thing.

He's largely on point with this. I still want to see more from Sanchez, but yesterday was more on the OL.

7. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

I COMPLETELY agree with Namath here. He is so right on! Go get 'em, Joe!!! Actually, I shouldn't say anything positive about Broadway Joe, or MB GREEN may just move THIS solid "Jets related thread" to the "Ultimate Trash Talking Forum" too. :)

#7 Al Dorow, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Why is Namath all of sudden commenting publicly about this team when they lose? This is gonna be just great if we have to hear from him after every loss about how much the Jets suck....

9. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

No one gives a shit.

10. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I agree, but he needs to shut his mouth. He's neither a coach nor a spokesperson for the team.

11. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

No one gives a "rats ass" has a bit more impact, Vomit. Try that next time. :)

12. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Read my last post, then kill yourself.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It might be a rant by Joe but it is pretty balls on accurate:up:

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

WTF are you talking about? Do you actually believe that the only people allowed to discuss the team are coaches or spokespeople for the team? Newsflash - former players and coaches are allowed to discuss nfl football and many of them get paid to do so.

BTW: Namath is correct again in his analysis.

15. magic77

magic77 New Member

This is the same reason half the players in Dallas hate playing there. Every old timer, HOF or not, has an opinion on what they aren't doing right. And then it goes straight to the front page of ESPN, draws more negative attention to the team which doesn't need any more then it will already get. Joe, you won us a superbowl and I applaud that. But your time has come and gone. Even if you are right, which this time you are... Get yourself out of the media all you do is hurt the team

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hurt the team? What are you nuts? The team is hurting itself by playing lousy football, it has nothing to do with Joe Namath or anybody else in the media - if these guys can't handle media attention they are on the wrong team and in the wrong place.

17. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Great point, Mr. Salam! I completely agree with you. BTW, you were better than that Rudolph guy who replaced you on the "sack exchange" defensive line after you retired.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

How are Namath's words hurting the team? Are Namath's vowels causing Sanchez to get sacked by unblocked players? Are his adjectives and pronouns causing the running game to stagnate? Are his prepositions leading to all the giveaways?

19. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

He's on the fucking money.

This loss has made me so mad, I've been walking around pissed off all day. The fact of the matter is that line is total garbage and we should have been doing something to diagnose the problem when we lost Turner to IR. Instead we're rolling with that dumb-ass Ducasse and Wayne fucking Hunter.

We need to find a way to shore up the line, and if Ducasse and Hunter aren't capable then we need to make a move.

20. magic77

magic77 New Member

What purpose does his rant serve? Do you think our coaches don't realize our offensive line sucks? Do you think they didn't watch the game? I didn't know it took captain obvious Joe to point that out, thank god now Rex knows and he will be able to do something about it. I don't see what purpose his comments serve.