Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I don't know why the people who are anti-Maybin just can't be happy with what they saw last night and hope for the best going forward. This isn't against any individual poster, just the general vibe in this thread.. There is no harm in being cautiously optimisitic. If he is good, it is for the betterment of the team and that's the ultimate goal here.. if he is bad, it's bad for the team even though you get to say your "I told you so". So far he's 1 for 1 in having a solid game, which is already pretty much a win as a dirt cheap signing.

All our rushers were going up against the same linemen last night. Maybin pulled out 2 pretty big plays.. the near sack early, and the strip sack late. Other than Pace he's the only one who did anything from the edge. I can't imagine anybody would rather see Westerman rushing the passer?

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

when Maybin did good in the preseason it was "oh well he wont be able to play well against a starter because a starter will blow him away."

When Maybin does good against a starter last night its "well, the guy was stiff and Maybin can easily get around someone who doesnt move around. He still anit sh!t"

Bottomline, theres no pleasing Jets fans.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I bet he could beat Wayne Hunter.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^You betcha!

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's going to get a lot more time now that Thomas is out.

Thomas will not return next year, his contract is up.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He won't be replacing Thomas..two totally different roles. I don't know that we have anybody to replace Thomas...That is going to be a major problem.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He'll see more snaps because westerman is now playing all the time. When he needs a break, Maybin is it.

Did you really forget about Westerman?

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He did good against a starter?

I remember him getting blown up, and then tripping.

He did hustle back after getting blown up and got a strip sack. That I tip my cap. But no one should think this kid can play at a high level.

He's a fucking backup with one move and no balance.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont think he forgot westerman.... Westerman is just not the type of player Bt is and cant fit that role- stopping the run. All night when Bt was out, all i heard was "if i were the ravens, i would run right out westerman"- and yes i know commentators can be retarded, but thats a true statement. Westerman cant fill that role

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

He also nearly got a sack early in the game but was unable to pull down Flacco.

He absolutely has earned a place on this roster.. unlike guys like Westerman, he has some potential if he can put it together. Westerman is what he is.. which is basically useless, except on special teams.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree completely, despite all the Maybin haters, he HAS earned a spot on the roster. Westerman played what? Myabe 20 more snaps in that game? And Maybin played damn well in those ten snaps he did play. I hope Rex plays him on all 3rd down passing situations and just let him go. If he develops an inside move, and learn how to play the run average he could be a very good player

12. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

:drunk: The two thing I like about the kid is:

#1. His speed. He can fly. Not that he has any control but, as for pure speed, he can be disruptive if used properly. Also, he can run people down from behind if they do get past the line of scrimmage. In pre-season, against the Giants, he ran down their running back about 10 yards down-field coming from the opposite side. If he didn't make that play, it would have been a good 20+ yards before we could even get to him.

#2. He doesn't quit on a play. Sure he falls down, gets ridden outside the pocket etc but he never gives up. That is why he got the strip. He doesn't stop. Ya gotta love that in a player.

Hopefully, with the right coaching, he can live up to his potential. As for now, he is just a situational player who, at times can be disruptive to a passing game. If he can force the QB to throw the ball 1 second sooner than he wants to, with our secondary...

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I like him too. If used as a designated pass rusher he can be effective. Maybin actually has some ability unlike that turd Gladys Gholston.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I didn't. I actually thought they re-signed Maybin because they are disappointed with what Westerman has shown as the DPR.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I don't think Maybin's gotten a fair shot on this team. He impressed in the preseason and I was impressed yesterday. He's an unorthodox pass rusher with one move. And he's been able to effectively cause some trouble with that one move. He's fast as hell, and without a real move, he's still plenty for a tackle to handle because of that speed off the edge. He doesn't get to the quarterback in a straight route, but he forces a quarterback to change what he wants to do, which is to sit back in the pocket and throw. I think he deserves a shot to try to be the Jets' version of Elvis Dumervil.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's amazing that he never quits on a play given how often he has to pull himself back up to keep going. The guy gets tossed to the ground at least twice on every play he sees.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He really has no ability to beat a block.

The hustle was great and I appreciate it but he is not anything more than a third down pass rusher.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yep. That's why I won't laud this kid when he's so one dimensional. If he's going to annoy a QB because they know they have to take one step to their right, then he's doing something.

I will be positive about this - because this kid realizes this is his last chance to play in the NFL, he might get a lot of coverage sacks. He'll always get back up and get after the QB from behind.

So no matter how many times he initially gets embarrassed at the point of attack, he might become a cult hero due to his ability to sack the QB after he hold the ball for 5 seconds. Go Maybin.

19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

His speed is amazing. He is as fast as John Abraham. Sure, me may not initially beat a LT on the snap, but there will sometimes be TEs blocking him as well from the edge. A lot of the great pass rushers got some of their sacks from TEs blocking as well. Not always the left or right tackle. Bottom line, we should all be thankful we got him. You cant teach speed and if he can somehow develop an inside spin move like Clay Matthews, he could be a force. He has shown more burst so far than anyone else on this entire team so why not give him a shot.

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Maybin is still raw around the edges. If he can develop a couple of pass rush moves this will end up becoming a steal of a move.