Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, first of all I never said that. For someone who claims to have been paying attention, I'd say you're not doing a very good job of it.

But I do think it tends to undercut their argument. No?

What I DID say, and believe, is that this is a bad week for the Cro Haters.

Well it is.

"you act like the Cro detractors should all be hiding in caves sulking with their heads between their knees."

Caves? Heads between their knees? I like the imagery!

Maybe I'll use that next time.

2. gopats88

gopats88 Member

So now we take turns putting words into each other's mouths?

I never said that you said he was the "greatest player ever".

Maybe I used the word "great" without justification, but to NOT be overpaid at $8 million a year, he has to be pretty fucking good.

3. Big Blocker

LMAO!!!

Gee, I don't know what you won. What do you think would be appropriate?

4. Big Blocker

Let's try it this way.

See if you can make the argument that the fact that he is AFC Defensive Player of the FUCKING WEEK shows he IS overpaid.

"Maybe I used the word "great" without justification"

Oh that's quite alright. A fan of my posts like you are deserves a break now and then in my book.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

A vote in the Fixed Your Poster of the Year award......we all know how those nominations really validate our presence around here.......hahahahaha

or a beer at the next tailgate.

6. Big Blocker

Uh, not to quibble with such a wonderful poster as yourself. But shouldn't it be Fixed Your Post Poster of the Year?

But, you got it. Remind me if I forget.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

No one has made that argument. People are only arguing that this one week doesn't prove anything. Just like last week didn't, by itself, prove anything. Just like AFC DPOFW doesn't prove anything.

His detractors mostly believe that he doesn't use good technique and that his athleticism makes him look great at some times, but doesn't stop him from looking terrible at other times.

I don't even care to make THAT argument. I just think it is kind of ridiculous how people (from both sides of the argument) are going to keep on coming into this thread after every week, saying "look at how right I am". And I think that your recent posts have probably leaned towards this behavior even more than any other poster that I have noticed.

Do I really seem like a kid wandering into the middle of a movie? What gives you that impression, besides the fact that I slightly exaggerated the intent of your posts by using the word "great" and placed the word "fucking" into the wrong place another time that I quoted you?

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Wonderful poster as myself................You should do well in the next forum BS bowl.

9. Big Blocker

Ftr I may well think that Cro gets dumped on by too many here, and earlier in this thread part of that had to do in my estimation with a misunderstanding how to assess the contract amounts, and the valuations they represent, as between a player under a "normal" long term contract and one who signs through free agency. So that is part of the overall context.

But putting that one aside, which nonetheless remains quite relevant to the overall question we are considering in this thread, LAST week the Cro Haters were saying his performance in that game, actually on two plays, established that he was overpaid. Now I won't quote anyone as saying it PROVED he was/is, but the argument was implied.

Given his performance against Jville, well I could say I was genuinely surprised to see the Haters still at it here, but of course it would be better to say I SHOULD have been surprised, but I wasn't really. Arguments continued, and of course one of them was that the performance more or less should be discounted since McCown sucked so bad.

Then the DPOW award came out, and I would think the point of that in the context of the overall discussion was that THIS WEEK the available evidence is all in support of Cro.

Ftr I do not think the OP's question can and should be answered on the basis of one game's performance. Obviously. It's a four year deal. Even if it were a one year deal, two games is too little.

But this week? If I were a Cro Hater, I'd lay low. Yeah, that would just be smart. Why? Not only because he's DPOW, but because on balance the evidence does not support the claim.

In other words, I would wait, if I were a Cro Hater, for the better evidence of his suckiness I would be sure is coming if not this next week, then soon thereafter.

And of course if that doesn't happen, then we'll all move on to something else, no doubt.

Even though I am a Cro supporter here, doesn't mean I think he's incapable, by whatever means, of showing he in fact does not deserve his contract. It's happened before with other players I thought would do better than they ended up doing. So "PROVE" is a false metric, imo, in this kind of short term analysis. Hope that clears it up.

Finally the movie thing you apparently don't recognize is from The Big Lebowski.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're right...I didn't try. On any Sunday and all that.

Anyway, my problem with Cromartie isn't about how much he's paid or how good he is. I know he's good. It's about his consistency...or rather lack of it.

Revis isn't great because he has a few good games during a season, it's because he's good every play. Can you say that about Cromartie?

And McCown DOES flat out suck. That's why he lost his starting job to a rookie.

#450 Acad23, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

McCown had a passer rating of over 90 in their firs game against TN and they put up 30 points. Against the Jets his rating was less than 2. Now he's benched.

Cro's 2 INT's and the Jets D had something to do with his employment status this week.

12. Big Blocker

Yes, that point should be obvious, and is to all but the Cro Haters.

This is really a kind of Bizarro World. Normally when the Jets win, and Jet players do well, we talk about how great it is that they won, and how well the Jets played.

But on this thread, it's ONLY because the other team sucks, and McCown shouldn't even be in the NFL.

Again, somehow none of that prevented Cro from getting DPOW. I guess those responsible don't see it the same as the Cro Haters here.

Bizarre.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If McCown is so damn good let's get him to back up Sanchez.

The Browns and the Bucs didn't keep him, so he's perfect for us.:rofl:

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Shit...we dropped more ints. than we caught.:grin:

15. 624

624 Banned

Agreed...one of the things that annoys me most in sports debate is the "Team X beat Team y, and Team Y beat Team z, etc..." argument.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No I'm saying that in this scheme Smith is good. In another he'd be a special teamer.

17. lamont_jordan_rules

... cro got paid market value for this offseason for one of the best cb's available ...

... he is one of the best #2 cb's in the league ...

... his special teams performances are a bonus ...

... k-dub has performed better this year but def wasn't ready to jump into a #2 cb role with no off-season work ...

... yes cro was certainly worth it for a team with superbowl hopes & ?'s already at DE & RT ...

l_j_r

18. 624

624 Banned

holy shit dude, no one wants to read these fucking posts, type like a human.

19. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

624, If you didnt want to read it, then why did you?

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

lamont_jordan_fucking_sucked.