Will Revis go down as the best Jet of all time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Nobody has mentioned Maybin yet.

Seriously, CB's don't get the glory- when they do their jobs well, their names never get mentioned, and the ball doesn't come their way. Deion Sanders became a name for his returns, not his blanket coverage.

Namath is in the HOF, and SB III is regarded as one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

#21 James Calvin, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It's too soon, but if he keeps up this pace, he absolutely can and will be the best. In terms of biggest cultural impact, that's Namath. But if we're talking best Jets player, that will probably end up being Revis.

3. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Indeed. I have heard people float Pouncey out there (which to me is tough since he's only done it one year) and others (Kalil, Saturday) so thats the only reason I say "arguable"....but I think it is overall consensus that Mangold is the best.

Did anyone see Lombardi rank Brick as the #1 LT a few weeks back? Thought it was kinf of crazy but it was interesting, none the less...

4. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Obviously it all depends on how he finishes up his career, but at this pace his odds are very good.

By the way, right now I'd say that the best Jet of all time is Curtis Martin (who is probably one of the 5-10 most underrated players in football history.)

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

At this point I would still give Klecko the edge, and I think the comparison with Mangold is far closer than most people are saying - unlike Revis, Mangold has been at or near the top of the league for pretty much every game he's ever played.

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

In order for Revis to be considered the best ever Jet, I believe he will have to sustain his current high level of play for at least another 5 years or so. He may very well do that and more but before he can be crowned with such a lofty accolade, he has to get there first and he has a considerable ways to go.

As for those inclined to label him the best Jet ever, if he retired tomorrow, would he be a Hall of Famer?

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who else have the Jets had that was playing at a level Revis has played in recent years? So his 2+ years are more than pretty much any player in Jetes history- I think only Mangold would even be close but it is so hard to rate OL. Revis is playing at a level where he will soon be in the conversation for best ever(he may already be there), no other player in Jets history is invovled in a best ever discussion(other than Ronnie Lott who only played here 2 years at the end of his career).

8. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

For a few years the Jets had both the greatest and worst Jets players in history on the field at the same time.

9. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

At the end of his career, Revis may be considered to be the best CB of all time. Sorry Deion.

10. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Need another 5 years to discuss.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's early. Klecko missed the hall of fame because he got hurt twice in what should have been the prime of his career. If Revis stays healthy and on the Jets for the next 5 seasons he probably will be the greatest Jet player of all time. Both of those are only possibilities at this point.

12. 624

624 Banned

If Revis ends up with 2+ titles, Sanchez could be higher.

13. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Far too early to say - IF he stays here for the next 5+ years and continues to play at his current level he will obviously be up there with the best, but in my opinion, at this moment in time, his total career stats do not justify Best Jet of All Time.

14. ........

........ Trolls

You're not jumping the gun. Although I'm predicating my answer on continued success from Revis for at least a few more years, he's the best to wear the green.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He might go down as the best CB of all time, because in this new game of Arena Football, he holds WR to almost no catches every week with perfect technique.

Football is unkind to CBs in todays game. It doesn't affect him at all.

Namth might always be the best Jet, but Revis could easily be the best at his position when its all said and done.

16. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

If anything, Sanchez will be remembered as an average to above-average QB who was carried by great coaching and defensive play. He might play good enough to carry the Jets to a SB but I don't know if he's THE guy like Revis is.

As for the main topic, I think Revis is already there from a pure talent standpoint. As Junc and many others have mentioned, we've never had a guy who clearly dominates his position like he does.

17. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Honestly, I think the argument by the general public is stronger against Revis being #1 at the CB position than it is against Mangold as the top C.

While I firmly believe Revis is the best CB over Scrabble, i think the distance between Revis/Nnamdi is a lot less than Mangold/next guy on the list. Hell I think the argument at the C position isn't who's best, but who is second to #74.

#37 nyjetsrule, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I said it in the offseason following his crazy 2009, it was the best season ever by a corner, from a coverage standpoint. I also said if he ever came within sniffing distance of repeating 2009 again, and put together some "average" elite seasons (an average season that elite CB normally produces) he would go down as the greatest to ever play his position.

Revis is just downright amazing

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Depends. Everybody thought that about Brady after 2001. He was an above average starter whose team carried him. Then the light came on for brady and he made an unbelievable jump in skill level.

Same thing with Rodgers last year. He walked into the playoffs a great QB, and during the run he became a man possessed. Now if he doesn't play like an elite QB every game, something will look very wrong.

If we win a ring, we may see a transformation in Mark that sees his game improve quite a bit. But then again, maybe not. It's not like it always happen, Eli Manning is the perfect example.

I just hope we win a ring, somehow, someway.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If the Jets had the best punter in the history of the NFL would any really give a shit?