Will Revis go down as the best Jet of all time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Say the day he retires...At that point do you feel Revis will be considered the greatest NY Jet player of all time?

The way he is playing being at the centerfold of the NFL as a cornerback..."Primetime" status will need Revis to win a ring or two with the similar stats he is playing with

So far, lets just say as a Jet...Will he be the best?

2. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Depends on the titles when he retires:

0 = Namath

1 = Still Namath, but close

2+ = Revis

3. TedWW

TedWW New Member

Too early for that. I need a Super Bowl win in order to start that convo.

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

He has to accept the fact that the Jets can't be an SB contender and pay him more than any other CB, and still bring in enough FA's/resign current players.

I see another hold out in the future but I am hoping Mevi$ is happy with his current pay and Revis will keep his alter ego Mevi$ in check.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He is the best player we have ever had already- not the most important. Obviously that was Joe but no player has consistently played at this level for us and I expect it will continue for many years. Have we ever had a player considered the best at his postion in the entire league? We have had some great players but no one like Revis.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Namath may be the most notable Jet of all time, but Revis is hands down the best player to put on a Jets uniform.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He has to sustain this level of excellence for several more years to go down as an all-time great. A Super Bowl would help his case.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

No love for Klecko?

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Deliver a Super Bowl then yea. He'll be the signature player kinda like Ray Lewis for Baltimore and Troy for the Steelers.

10. nyjunc

I think revis has passed Klecko, as great as Joe was he was never THE best and revis has been now for a few years. maybe I am jumping the gun just a bit but I have never seen a player as great as Revisin a Jets uniform.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well, Troy is one of many stars the Steelers have had.

The Ray Lewis comparison in terms of best & notable can be a good one he takes that leadership role to the next level too.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

For Klecko:
    Hurts his case that fans who didn't see him @ his prime now see him sitting outside the HOF. Revis needs to dominate for a couple more years before I'd put him above Klecko. Klecko was really good for a long time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/sports/football/08anderson.html
    DeLamielleure, a Hall of Fame guard for the Bills and the Cleveland Browns, said in a telephone interview. “I had to block Joe Greene and Merlin Olsen when I was playing and, believe me, Joe Klecko was equal to those two guys.”

Haynesworth wouldn't stop crying when he was moved to NT. Klecko was a difference maker from End, Tackle & NT.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Too soon. This is only his 5th year. I think he is the best CB in the NFL and 2009 was the best I have ever seen a CB play. Still longevity has to factor in as well. The scary thing is that he is still only 26.

Anyway, as great as I think he is, it is a little too soon, to anoint him the best Jet ever. Although the fact he is already in that discussion is a bit of an indictment on the dearth of stars in the Jets history.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say Gastineau as a joke, but then I thought of Klecko and figured what the hell. Revis is definitely the most well regarded Jet player probably ever.

Is he the best Jet ever? I can't think of another that made his coach get down on his knees and plead with him to come back.

15. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

What about Freak-man McNeil? Curtis Martin?

16. nyjunc

Neither was ever considered the best at their position. Both great players but Revis is on another level.

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Junc makes a great point. I can't remember since I have been a Jets fan (mid 80's) the Jets ever having the best player at their position, and we arguably have 2 (Mangold)

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not until he can cover Don Maynard.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Actually, I don't think that is arguable. Mangold the last 3 years has been the highest rated interior lineman by a large margin. (That is football outsiders metrics, if you don't mind using them)

20. nyjunc

Mawae is another but outside of the 2 C's and Revis I'm not sure we have had any. We have had plenty considered one of the best but not considered THE best.