Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 624

624 Banned

Asante Samuel lol'd at the bolded part.

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

and what happens when that extra pass rush gets picked up with max protect? or a well designed roll-out away from the pressure? lets not act like our pass rush gets there every time we bring extra men

and that "more help" youre speaking of usually goes to help our LBs who dont cover really well, be it RBs or TEs ... we usually have on safety in the box and one in dead center field. we really dont roll the safety away from revis because we need help over the middle ... cro is left with just as little help as revis most of the time. albeit, against lesser comp

and people need to stop complaining about his tackling ... he has tackled very well since hes been a jet. hes not going to cause anyone to fumble, but hes getting the job done

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We usually get burned for a first down which is why in the playoffs we stopped blitzing and used more guys in coverage.

Fun facts in 09 pre-Cro. No. 1 D No. 1 in passing D yards and TD's

10 with Cro 6th in points, 3rd in yards, 6th in passing yards 19th in passing TD's.

#383 Biggs, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

This statement works both ways. Max protect would mean 5 linemen, TE, and an RB blocking our blitz, leaving just 2-3 WRs (if FB is also there or a 2nd TE). Max protect can give our secondary a couple of nice double teaming.

One of easiest way to counter attack blitz would be the Patriots style of spread offense. Quick and short passes with several passing options. But the risk of quick passes can be greater too, since the corners would be aware of the blitz. Its going to be a good chess matchup against the Patriots.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Its just a coincidence. Nobody in their right mind would take Lito over Cromartie.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Of course not. The reality is Revis was hurt parts of last years and our blitz was handled last year. The blitz not getting to the QB expossed our entire backfield. In the playoffs we put more guys in coverage to help and blitzed less.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Our run D took over last year. Teams couldn't run on us so they chose to attack us through the air a little bit more. Losing a starting safety didn't help the cause either, so its all bits and pieces that added up.

9. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Correlation, of course, is always causation.

There are no other possible factors that could've led to that change.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

11. Big Blocker

Does anyone remember when was the last time a Jet player was AFC player of the mofo'ing week?

Of course the Cro Haters here are still Jet fans, so I understand how they might feel ambivalent today. Still, it's not hard to relate to how it must feel, thinking back to just last week, pontificating on the outcome of really two plays against Dallas's corps of very good receivers. before this little honor came along to undermine their point of view.

We all get in love with our own arguments. Then when something comes along to blow what we were saying out of hte water, it can be hard.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I'd be surprised if Revis didn't win it couple years back with his two ints against Fake Delhomme, returning one for TD, but Im sure we've had other instances in between...no?

13. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Gotta be the loss of Kerry Rhodes! :wink:

14. Big Blocker

Don't recall Revis or anyone else recently. But I just can't recall.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm glad it happened, Cromartie feeds off glory if his pro bowl season is anything to go by. If he does at some point end up justifying his contract, it'll mean a Pro Bowl berth, and also 12 babies conceived this year. Performance like that might put us over the top for a championship, marshmallow play or no marshmallow play.

#395 abyzmul, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It also proves what most have said all along...that he's got the physical talent to be among the best at his position, and once he starts to play smarter good things will happen.

If only he could face Luke McClown every week...

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I remember Sanchez being the rookie of the week 3 or 4 times in 09.

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

My avatar laughs at this thread.

19. Big Blocker

McCown may well have had his confidence shattered by the Jets, but the fact is he played well in week one, while Jville beat a team that beat Baltimore last week.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, there's so many differently sponsored 'awards' that it's hard to keep track, but I'm not sure if those rookie of the week awards are something recognized by the NFL. It's like an advertising thing for Pepsi or whoever sponsors it.

The '2009 NFL Season' wiki tracks the NFL's player of the week awards (includes Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams), Players of the Month, Players of the Year and Rookies Of the Month. Sanchez won that last one for September 2009. The 2010 version only tracks the Player Of the Week awards and

Last year Tomlinson was the only Jets Player Of The Week in any category and I don't think any Jets players won Player of the Month because while I can't find a historic record at the moment, I think I would have remembered that.

In 2009, Revis (wk 12), Harris (wk 1), Brad Smith (wk 16) and Jason Trusnik (wk 3) were all Players of the Week, and Revis was Defensive Player Of The Month for September. And in a parallel universe where justice exists, Revis also won the Defensive Player of the Year award.

If Cromartie plays well enough to make the second team All-Pro, I'll admit that he's worth what he got. And if he plays to that level, for real, against playoff-level competition and still doesn't make 2nd team All-Pro, I'll also admit that he's worth it.

That's the level of performance we need out of him and that's what he's getting paid for. Market Value is a convenient disguise for the real reason he made that money. Like I said before, Tanny is a gambler and he doesn't always win.