week 3 - Jets @ Oakland Raiders - 9/25/11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

If Oakland can play within itself, the Jets are going to struggle.

• Flying coast-to-coast always seems to hamper the teams making the trip, and the Black Hole has never been a friendly place to play. Isn't it a grass field? That can sometimes hamper teams used to playing on artificial surfaces.
    • I was impressed with the Raiders when they played the Bills. In the first half, they played smart and disciplined (as in no penalties). In the second half, they got "buffaloed" by the Bills surprising offensive explosion. They gave up a long TD run to Freddy Jackson, then they fumbled, and then it seemed that they started to lose their composure. When the Bills took the lead, they came apart. They had a bunch of penalties in the second half, some for big yardage, but even the 5 yarders seemed to be just enough to extend drives.
    • The Raiders have three good RBs: McFadden, Bush, and the kid, Tokyo Somebody. The Raiders had 80 yards running in the first half, but the Bills onslaught kind of took them out of their running game.
    • Their rookie WR Moore can really catch the ball, guys. Don't count him out.
    • Campbell really impressed me for the first time in his career. Maybe his natural habitat is more deep passer than game manager. His downfield throws against the Bills were on the money just about every time, and his INT came on the Hail Mary play to the EZ.
    • Don't discount the Raiders DL just because they failed to get to Fitzpatrick. The Bills OL has been Twilight Zone good in the first two games, giving up just 2 sacks and a handful of knockdowns in 2 games. I don't know how they're doing that at all ... but give Fitz some time and WRs who can hold on to the ball, and he'll carved up a defense. They also have figured out how to run block after looking very crappy all preseason. I think that the Raiders weren't prepared for their excellent play.
    • I think that Chan outcoached Hue. Because his team sucked in the first half, Gailey made changes at half time. Up 21-3, what could Hue say except keep up the good work?
    • Finally, I think that the Raiders were unlucky and the Bills had a horseshoe up their collective rump. On the Bills final TD drive, the Raiders DB had an INT in the EZ in his hands, and the Bills WR managed to knock it away. Two plays later, the Bills scored the winning TD -- on fourth down, the second fourth down play pass they made on that drive. Then, on the Hail Mary, the Bills DB Sheppard intercepts, but one of the Oakland players tried to wrestle it away as they fell to the ground. Safety George Wilson jumps in and pushes Sheppard away from the Raider, and Sheppard comes away with the ball. Bills INT! Game over! :eek:hmy:

Beware the Raiders.

2. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Which he was. I can be homer with the best of them, but his bitching and whining about Drew Coleman pushing him out of bounds was pathetic.

3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Just a thought:
    No matter where you look, whether it be on boards or television, almost everybody refers to Sanchez as overrated. How can you be considered overrated if the majority thinks he isn't very good? Hmmm?? I'd rather the whole league say that he sucks so he can keep playing his best under pressure, go deep into the playoffs, and make everyone look stupid. He may not be elite, but he's pretty damn good.

Anyway, I think the Jets will have problems with their O-line against the Raiders D. The line was struggling somewhat with Mangold playing. Can't see it suddenly being a well oiled machine. That being said, we have more talent than Oakland in most areas. I think (hope) we pull out a tight game. Maybe 21-17.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hey last time we went to Oakland Sanchez was eating hot dogs on the bench by the 4th!

5. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Yeah- but it's part of gamesmanship. On the field the players and coaches are always working the refs. You won't get them to reverse a call, but they may look at the next similar play a little closer. Which they did in this case.

6. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I think it's a reaction to the media love for Sanchez because he was a high first round pick and he plays in NY (well, actually, NJ). I think if he had been drafted lower or by another team, the media would be more critical of him. He seems to get praise for Jets wins, even when the Jets win inspite of his less than stellar play. On a less talented team, he would be exposed.

IMO, he seriously needs to step up his game this season, especially his medium/long game and his decision making. He's started more than 30 games in the last two years, so he should be able to read defenses and be accustomed to the speed of the game. I'm sorry, but "game managers" are NOT "franchise QBs".

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Direct correlation to being #5 overall.

Is Stafford a better passer? It sure seems like it right now.

But Stafford has the charisma of a dead deer.

Sanchez brings the intangibles with his athletic ability something the other QBs in that draft didn't have...the others probably couldn't play in NY.

8. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

The game plan Im guessing will be similar to the Jax game, stack the box and see if Campbell and company can beat us. Granted Campbell is better than Mccown so i dont seeing this becoming a blowout. It will be closer for sure but if i was a betting man i'd take the jets to cover

9. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

If we open up the playbook, I can see Sanchez sitting around eating hotdogs.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Even though he's a rookie, Denarius Moore is the Raiders best receiver. That's who I want to see Revis on.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And you predicate that on Baxter holding his own on the OL.

This isn't a game to open it up. This is a game to keep Sanchez protected.

The defense plays better on the road, and they'll know they have to stop the run and get after Campbell if they want to win this one.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

• It hasn't bothered the Jets under Rex Ryan. They went into the Black Hole and won 38-0 in 09. So I don't see it being an issue with the Jets on the road considering they play better on the road than they do at home.

If they can't stop the Bills from coming back, then how are they going to stop the Jets who have lived off of 2nd half comebacks? A Raiders poster on here stated that they haven't been able to hold leads for a long time. The Jets aren't the team you want to face if you can't hold a lead. They thrive on that.
      The Jets can stop the run, but struggle on screen passes. If they can shut down McFadden, they can stop everyone else. And then its time to hunt Campbell, who isn't bad, but he'll fold.
      Between Revis and Cro, it won't matter.
      I like Campbell, but he's not facing the Bills. He's going to face a great defense that plays the deep ball well (when Cro isn't being soft on a jump ball). If he's going to let it fly, it better not be in Revis' direction.
      With Mangold out, the Raiders respectable front 4 can do damage. If they can pressure Sanchez, which is something that has been easy to do this season, the Raiders can cause a turnover and stay in the game. This game will come down to the Jets OL vs the Raiders DL. Whoever wins that battle will win the game.
      Are you serious? "Keep up the good work?" If that's the case, expect Rex (who thrives on 2nd half adjustments) to dismantle the Raiders offense for the last 30 minutes of gametime.
    So the "luck" is the opponent outworking the Raider player. In that case, expect the Jets to outwork the Raiders all game.

From this list, if everything is true, then the Jets should win 21-10.

13. 624

624 Banned

Every single week the opposing team's message board is filled with "I know other receivers haven't done shit against him, but Revis can't cover our receiver!"

When will they learn?...

14. JETFIGHTERS

NDmick:

2 TE's Keller,Cumberland
    2WR's Holmes,(slot) Kerley(wildcat anyone)

or
    2WR go tall with Plex and Cambell(if either can get open, I prefer Holmes,Kerley
    & LT catching passes or running

Screen/bootleg worked before with Sanchez

No our line is not going to hold up for running or deep passes, thats why I suggest my thoughts above. Sanchez will not have time,so rollouts and screens are his best options.

#154 JETFIGHTERS, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

How about throwing Cromartie into the mix in the redzone? Cumberland, Keller, Cro, and Holmes :smile:

16. 624

624 Banned

I just hope no one shuts your XBox off during the play.

17. JETFIGHTERS

Nice

I was thinking Plex and Cambell in redzone, I also like your options with Cro.

18. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Ha. But now that I really think about it, it would be interesting to see Cro and Plax together in the Redzone. Both guys are tall and could jump up and grab a ball down.

I have a feeling Cro will be used a lot on offense come the Patriots game.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You need to stop thinking that, because what experience does Cro have fighting for jump balls and winning the battle as a WR?

If the Jets are up by 50pts, then of course it doesn't matter. But any football mind will tell you its ridiculous to put a CB in the redzone for fade routes in a divisional game. Use your head, and stop playing madden.

20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Of course its silly but anything can happen. No one expected to see Cro play in 2 offensive plays at all this season, one of which where he actually got the ball and ran with it. So im sticking with him being used more on offense until Rex saids otherwise.