Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It doesn't contridict it, I'm simply saying that the Jets D is compensating him for the extra exposure with either more pass rush or more help. The Jets D is compensating for his margin of error by having a shut down corner on the other side. He is effectively more expossed in terms of thrown at but more protected in terms of help.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Holy shit, I ran out of popcorns!

3. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

NY Post: Cromartie nearly left Jets for Raiders

Cromartie nearly left Jets for Raiders

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets..._raiders_xpCHeDicFbqfMBVlkX9m1M#ixzz1YV5zkZuE

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie could have easily been on the opposite sideline this week.

During the free agency period in July, it came down to the Jets and the Raiders for Cromartie's services. Oakland had just lost Nnamdi Asomugha, and the Jets had just lost out on Asomugha, who signed with the Eagles. Both teams turned to Cromartie.

According to a source, the Raiders offered substantially more than the Jets' four-year, $32 million bid. But Cromartie enjoyed his first year with the Jets, and felt he had a better chance to win with them.

A source said Raiders owner Al Davis personally made a plea to Cromartie, but in the early morning hours of Aug. 1, with training camp about to begin, Cromartie agreed to a deal with the Jets.

The move worked out for the Jets on Sunday. Cromartie had a huge game against the Jaguars with two interceptions, two long kickoff returns and even a rush on offense.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think the argument is that with Revis guarding the other team's number one receiver in man coverage, Cro guards the other team's number two in man. Normally teams use their top corner to cover the other team's number two when in man coverage (assuming they are playing man at all), while the number two corner covers the number one receiver, but with assigned safety help.

So, is it harder to cover the number two in man, or hte number one with safety help? On average, depending on the quality of hte opponent's number two receiver, I would say the former is more difficult. If it were not, more teams would do what the Jets do, for obvous reasons, i think, most of which have to do with increasing options elsewhere with the D.

Now you do make the fair point that this coverge scheme makes the Jet D more powerful elsewhere, but how that helps Cro cover his man is indirect at best. Many times the safeties will be playing run more, or covering a TE or RB, since the Jet LB's are not particularly adept at that.

I get your point, but if you drill down to what it means in terms of the way the Jets use Revis and Cro, it is more difficult for Cro than if he were in a standard defense.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...but, but, but he's not worth it!

Can't wait for the Al Davis excuses.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

8 million per year for a CB that doesn't tackle is a little steep, imo. But we had little choice in the matter. Losing out on Aso forced Tanny's hand. Cromartie still brings value to this team....it just came at a steeper price because we gambled on trying to sign Aso.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It sucks that we have two great corners locked up for the next 4 years. They might get used to playing together and get even better, and cause us to win more games.

That would give us less to bitch about.

I wish we had a shitty CB like McCourty.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I know I've been rambling a lot already in this thread, but here's how I see it:

This game has evolved into a spread, pass-happy league. We've seen some ridiculous passing yardage over the firs two weeks of the season.

The value of the cornerback has gone up tremendously over the past couple seasons.

Rex Ryan puts a lot of pressure on his cornerbacks with all of his elaborate blitzes and smokescreens. Cromartie's recovery speed mixed with his length/height allows him to cover a lot more ground than most corners in the league.

In a system that leaves its corners on their own with no over the top help on most plays, he's a good fit.

There's certain posters complaining about his lack of jam coverage or in-your-face coverage - that's not necessarily a good thing to be up close on a receiver when a safety doesn't have your back. A cushion is necessary in certain situations. If he gets beat the LOS, he's toast...

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We have a CB who can cover ever no.1 WR in the league man up. That means we have help everywhere else. That's not indirect that's unique in the NFL and very direct.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

McCourty is better than Revis because he gets more picks.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The bolded part of your post is false.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

thats what guy #4 (5 if you count Plax) who is playing for the jets this year for less money than they could have received elsewhere?

Holmes
    Cro
    Mason
    Smith
    Burress (less total $ but we offered more guaranteed)

The Rex factor is alive and well boys

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

What i would mean by "direct" is that the safety help is helping Cro cover his man. It is not. Indirect is if the safety who otherwise would be helping guard the opponent's number 1 with Cro is instead rushing the passer on a blitz, or covering a TE and allowing an LB to rush the passer. But even in those situations Cro is still left alone (usually) to guard the opponent's number 2 receiver all by himself.

In short I do not define "help everywhere else" as direct help for Cro guarding his man. You might as well say that is helping Revis guard his man. It does, but indirectly, not directly.

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, that explains why Cro decided to stay with the Jets.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The point is, fair market value can't be determined in a market where there's pressure imposed. The Jets and Raiders were certainly hamstrung by losing Nnamdi, but the time window probably added as much pressure as anything. Between the end of the lockout and the beginning of training camp, the Jets had only a few days to sign a corner. Where you might usually have the opportunity to romance a free agent over a period of weeks, the Jets didn't have that luxury.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This is very true. Also, people don't realize that market value FLUCTUATES, meaning Cromartie's performance will definitely cause his value to depreciate. Not a whole lot we can do about it since we're locked into a rate, but to just because you pay for something at one price does not necessarily mean it's worth it.

17. 624

624 Banned

It was a necessary overpay.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There is somebody else with a 2nd account in this thread.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the Jets organization advanced Cromartie some dough to take care of his child support issues.

If he would have skipped to the Raiders...well, that would have been fucked up.
    Even for Cro.

20. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I think Cromartie will lead the league in INTs or be in the vicinity. He may also lead in missed tackles and blown coverages though.