week 3 - Jets @ Oakland Raiders - 9/25/11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Sep 18, 2011.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't know why I'm reading Jets blowout in this thread.

The Jets seldom travel to the west coast well. The Raiders are vastly improved since the last time we saw them.

McFadden looks like a lightning bolt out there.

Oakland's defensive front is decent too. This is not going to be a "gimme".

2. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

Thanks for this post--cracked me up this morning. I've never seen a game broken down so colorfully.

3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Maybe the quote of the week from this forum.

4. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

No game is a gimme. If you watch the 2nd half of last week's Oakland game they did do their best to hand the game over to the Bills. I don't think we can count on them being so kind to us, but their defense can't seem to play a whole game.

And in other news, Jets are a 3.5 point favorite in Vegas odds. I don't think it will be a blowout, but I can easily see us beating the spread here.

#124 James Calvin, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Hilarious post.

I was pretty impressed with the Oak Offense in the buffalo game. I didn't think they could put up that many on any D.

The more I look into this game, the closer i think its going to be. I was originally thinking a 2 TD gap, but I am starting to think otherwise. 38-0 was a long time ago. I certainly don't expect that again.

6. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

If there is a something like 10+ point gap it'll come at the end of the game. I think the Raiders will hang well enough but characteristically the defense will fail to make the crucial stop when it needs to be made.

My opinion on this isn't based on last week's game against Buffalo. Second half meltdowns have been a hallmark of our defense for some 20+ years now. It's because the scheme is utterly outdated. Man to man certainly has its place but when it constitutes 90% of your defensive scheme it becomes easy to exploit unless you have Probowl caliber players at every position in the defensive backfield.

Blitz packages are limited because in pure man to man you know right away if that corner's coming in off the edge or if the safety's coming up the middle. And because it's man a quarterback knows where his most likely open target is going to be almost immediately. IOW, the qb already knows each defender's coverage assignment before the ball is snapped.

And one more thing about this. No matter who the opposing team's best wide receiver is all you have to do is put him on the opposite side of the field of our best corner. That way your best will always be matched up against our second best. That's the Al Davis way of doing things on defense. Our best cornerback is Stanford Routt, and he's pretty good. But he's made to stay strictly on his side of the field. So opposing teams can simply put their best receiver on the other side. It's pathetic.

That's why I say that if Sanchez plays it safe, then there should be more than enough opportunities for him to make plays. And like I said before, our LB's just can't seem to figure out their assignments. They're undisciplined and poor tacklers which makes us prone to giving up big gains on the ground.

If we had a middle of the pack defense, I'd say that we win this one. But the Jets are one of the top caliber teams in the league and they know how to win games. Until Al Davis let's go control of the defense--and it is his baby, the Raiders will continue to be mediocre at best.

#126 Ingersoll, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You could easily argue the JETS are a way better team than the team who won 38-0 also. Not counting the potential loss of Mangold not playing.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

9. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

We should go immediately to the board of every team that the Jets face this season and start a "Revis is overrated" thread. You know it's coming anyway.

10. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

We don't need to, they do it by themselves.

It's more interesting to see the other boards after they lose. Very few threads about the Jets or players being overrated then.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Jags board is full of Sanchez is overrated and their defense out played us.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Oakland is a solid team. They have a really good front 7 on defense and speed everywhere you look on offense.

McFadden is the key. He is a superb athlete who runs the ball with power and speed and is also deadly as a receiver. The Raiders will run a ton of screens with the majority going to DMC.

Louis Murphy and Kevin Boss may play. That gives Campbell a couple more options in the passing game.

The Raiders don't often blitz on defense until the opposing team is nearing the redzone. Their secondary outside of Routt is belorw average -- Huff is good but he's banged up right now.

The Jets have more talent on bothe sides of the ball, but this will be a battle from opening kick to final whistle.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This matchup is terrible for us on defense if you ask me. They have a talented RB (top 3 in my opinion) who can take contact and catch passes out of the backfield. Through the preseason and first two games, we've had serious problems stopping outside runs, screens or RB's catching the ball in the flat. I can easily see McFadden dominating us.

14. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

We should win this, but no west coast game is a gimme with the JETS. Especially with Mangold out and the o-line looking like hot garbage. Really hoping they don't overlook this one because they have ravens in two weeks.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Oakland's DBs looked pretty fast chasing the bills RB 50 yards down the field. But not quite fast enough. The raiders have gholstonesque linebackers.

I don't see the bills OL as that much better than ours- even with our injuries. They had a lot of success running off tackle, maybe this can be the week where our run game scores a win.

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Raiders used to have some of the fastest LBs around, but with guys like Howard and Morrison moving on, times have changed.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The part in bold is just flat-out false, this has not been the case in the first two games. Jones did have one for 19, but the other 2 were stuffed at the LOS. MJD had one for 11 and I think 3 more for about 8 yards. So yeah, that issue you may think we have is a non-issue.

Dallas overall YPC 2.5, Jones was 2.6 and Choice 1.3 .
    Jags overall YPC 4.1, yes we did give up a few 11 yard runs to MJD but we stopped them when it counted.

Raiders are obviously better than the Jags. Broncos are almost the worst rush D in the league and Buffalo isn't too far behind so this will be a good test for McFadden.

McFadden is a great player, lucky for us we can concentrate just about everything on him. We'll have a very easy time with their receivers so McFadden will get our full attention.

19. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

You'll have an easy time with our receivers only if our starting corps from week 1 plays. We've got a rookie named Denarius Moore who looked great in the preseason. There's always preseason HoF'ers but this kid is the real deal. He made some eye popping catches against Buffalo.

Derek Hagain is another guy who should be in the starting lineup. He isn't great but he's solid.

Jacoby Ford... If he isn't still hurt he's scary fast in the slot and he can catch. On reverses the guy is a nightmare for defenses. But he hurt a hamstring against Denver so I don't know if he'll play or not.

DHB... An Al Davis draft pick if there ever was one. Tall, strong, and fast as hell but still doesn't know that you catch the ball with your hands and not your chest. I've seen spastic 4 year olds show more skill at catching water balloons; and after two years still hasn't figured out how to run a double move route. But if he's not hurt he'll play. He's on the Al Davis scholarship program and that's that.

Schilens and Murphy are capable but the former gets injured making microwave popcorn and Murphy disappears for long stretches during games.

The smart thing for Hue Jackson to do is put the same guys on the field as last week. Whether or not Al lets him is a different story.

I don't know if Boss will play. He injured his knee in the second preseason game and has been MIA ever since. But Brandon Meyers is a capable TE.

We have some good firepower in the receiving category, I just don't know if Al will allow them to be used properly.

20. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Hmm. Just looked. Maybe there are some posts, but mostly it's threads fighting over how much the Jags suck, and who they should fire.

1 thread about Sanchez drawing roughing calls.