Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Cromartie said that was his plan all along so it is a bit confusing. Maybe they're not going 100% quite yet because they're scared of injury.

Which would be understandable under the circumstances. Would explain why the offenses are kicking the shit out of defenses. Offense has the advantage of knowing what they're doing, defenders have to be reactive and could pull muscles.

Just taking a blind stab in a dimly lit room but it doesn't matter because it's a blind stab.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think Rex fits his system to each guy, Cro does not jam much because that is not his strength so Rex does not ask it of him that often. Revis is great at it so he does it alot. Wilson seems to be pretty good at it as well so they ask him to do it as well. It is different for each guy.

3. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

good job Abyzmul.

4. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I don't agree. Austin and Cromartie are of almost the exact same physical dimensions. All Austin had to do was achieve simultaneous possession. It's only logical to see that two guys of the same height, weight, and build clasped their hands on the ball the same way. To say that Cromartie "could've ripped Austin's arms out of their sockets" is a little over the top. Austin is 215 pounds of pure muscle. Cromartie would've had to do it while falling in the fraction of a second before the two of them hit the ground.

I think you can fault Cromartie for having his hands too low prior to the catch, but not for failing to counter Austin's effort on the ball.

You're editorializing here and adding a lot of extra words to make the situation sound a lot worse than it actually was. Cromartie would've needed perfect coverage and a perfectly timed jump to have a chance at beating a perfectly thrown fade. He came up short. These things tend to happen against top-flight receivers.

If Cromartie didn't fit the scheme, I doubt he gets re-signed. If he's that bad at being physical, the Jets could've taken their chances on Wilson or some other free agent corner this year. Rex is clearly very fond of him, and he has to know full well that Cromartie doesn't jam. Rex is very good at designing his schemes to fit his players, and I think he does a good job putting Cromartie in a position where he can succeed.

Again, this is editorializing. Bryant isn't just any second-year player. Yes, Cromartie's technique and coverage on this particular play were far from perfect. But you're focusing on this one play to the exclusion of the rest of the game, which saw good coverage from him and a 50/50 play where he was in the correct position.

This is one of the known things that comes with the Cromartie package, though. He hasn't been good at bumping/jamming since he came into the League. But as I said above, I think Rex's scheme accommodates him by not really asking him to do that when possible. If he's forced to do it, he'll have middling success at best. We know this. But Cromartie does so many other things a lot better than other corners-- in particular, his one-on-one coverage against receivers with elite speed on all kinds of routes is really good. Over the course of 2010, Cromartie showed that what he brings to the table can make the Jets' defense really tough to pass on, even when the pass rush is downright anemic-- and even when Revis is injured. That's really valuable no matter how you slice it.

I think you're right that Rob Ryan's scheme is better for this guy, but Phillips has constructed some really, really good defenses, and he's done it again in Houston. So it's not like Phillips is some schmuck. His players just quit on him.

While I do respect Jenkins and think he's good, I'd personally still rather have Cromartie, though we're now getting into the realm of pure personal opinion.

I think the Asomugha courtship was simply an opportunity for a substantial upgrade at what is (in Rex's opinion) the most important defensive position. When you can put two epic cornerbacks together for a guy like Rex Ryan, it's a no-brainer. Of course the Jets should've kicked the tires on Asomugha. I'd rather have Asomugha than Cromartie as well. However, I don't think Cromartie's a fallback option if the Jets are ponying up $8 million a year for 4 years, and I don't think the Jets will attempt to upgrade if another well-known corner hits the open market. Cromartie is a guy who can be part of an elite defense, and I'm personally very happy with what he brings to the table.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You're not giving Miles Austin any credit at all for a hell of a play on his part.

It's not about heart. It was about strength and physicality on that play - Austin won that battle.

Ignorance? ...because I disagree with you, I'm ignorant? Okay.

Calling a player heartless when you have no idea what goes on inside that guy's head and heart is a fucking joke.

Let's use your logic:

Joe Haden is heartless for not getting out of the huddle fast enough...which allowed AJ Green to score.

Ben Roethlisberger is heartless because Terrell Suggs fucked his world up and he fumbled the ball and got intercepted a few times.

Tony Romo is heartless because he misread our defense at the end of the game and threw a pick.

This game's a chess match and Cromartie was beat by some great plays. It has nothing to do with effort or heart. The Cowboys' wideouts just beat him. It happens.

A perfectly thrown pass and a great route that close to the goalline usually create a touchdown.

Once again, you don't know what Cromartie is looking at.

It's all about giving different looks. I don't care if he's not good at jamming receivers.

You act like he gets beat constantly. He was beat two times.

Apparently, this argument is all about what you want.

I'm sure his recovery speed and length frustrates wideouts and quarterbacks on plenty of plays.

I did watch the play: perfectly thrown ball, great route, overpowering receiver...enough said.

It shouldn't matter how many years Dez Bryant's been in the league. It's pretty obvious that the kid has the ability to be a superstar at the position.

Sadly, most people around here take it way too serious.

Why should apologize to a bunch of idiots on the internet?

I didn't even see that gay ass "call out", so there's that.

To me, you've become little known. A few years ago, I'd think differently. ...but lately, you've brought nothing to the board.

This is a bullshit complaint against a very good player. To me, it seemed like you made an over the top, over exaggerated post to get a rise out of posters. Want attention?

Again, he may be trying to sell the jam to give the quarterback a different look.

Like you, I am speculating.

The second best corner in Dallas' shitty secondary.

I do have to watch it again on Saturday.

He was beat by both Burress and Holmes multiple times. You know how they got open? Fakes. ...and Jenkins bit on those fakes. Sound familiar?

Are you fucking kidding me?

He was blocking simply blocking for Holmes.

...jesus christ.

Saying you'd trade Antonio Cromartie for a player of lesser talent is ignorant.

Dallas had one of the worst pass defenses in the game last season. They allowed the most passing TDs and a ton of yardage.

You're basing all of this off of one damn game. I can't believe you actually think it's credible to do that.

Recovery speed? He spent most of the game guarding a 34 year old, 230 pound possession wideout that hasn't played in a meaningful game in two years. Burress is a talented guy, but he's not a burner.

Rob Ryan is their coordinator, but he specializes in linebackers.

Dave Campo is their secondary coach.

What?

Mike Jenkins has never known a defensive playcaller other than Wade fucking Phillips his entire pro career. He's just a better fit this type of coverage.

Bashing Wade Phillips as a defensive playcaller is "ignorant". He's one of the best defensive coaches in the game.

He was a bad head coach.

I dont know if you realize this, but like Rex Ryan, Wade Phillips specializes in coaching defensive linemen.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Waaaaaait for it...

Dave Campo is STILL Dallas' secondary coach. ...so obviously, Mike Jenkins is a highly coachable guy...am I right? Am I right?

Same reason every damn team in the league was going after him:

...because he was the best free agent available?

You do not know what Rex Ryan wants in his scheme. You don't have any inside information, so stop bullshitting.

Nnamdi Asomugha is a huge upgrade over Antonio Cromartie. That's why Ryan wanted him. He's the second best corner in the game behind a guy that's already on our roster.

We won't be serving crow.

#105 Mr Electric, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...you still upset that we drafted John Conner?

#106 Mr Electric, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Good job Prince of Thieves!!!!!!111!!

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Cromartie gave up two TDs and thats rather unacceptable. I know he didn't give up much more than those two TDs, but u can't give up TDs every game. If he can limit the big plays and give up say 5 catches for 60 yards, no TDs, Im fine with that.

And I think Cromartie is not worth $32 mil. Preferred to pay $3-4 extra mil a yr for Nnamdi and assured ourselves to shutting down two best opposing WRs on most occasions. I bet Nnamdi wouldn't give up the TDs to Dez and Miles, not both at least.

It is what it is and Cromartie will be here for at least 3 more years. I hope he corrects his errors. That TD to Austin was a bad technique and anyone disagrees, see the tape and see what Thurman was trying to tell Cromartie. I agree with Abyzmal. Cromartie looked terrible on the TD pass to Dez. Dez owned him. Maybe Dez becomes a top 5 WR in the game, but Cromartie wasn't supposed to be a piece of cake either. Dez was chewing him until he got hurt/switched with Revis.

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

^^^^

Both were great coverage though, like I said if Cro doesn't catch the ball first Miles doesn't even get a shot at it. That was a INT.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The more I think about it and speaking with other people the Jets messed up not going after J. Joseph. He is younger than Aso and Cro and has a similar salary level as Cro and he is in between in skill.

Meaning Aso>JJ>Cro.......

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Who did you root for on Sunday night?

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

lol!

13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The Dez Bryant TD wasn't great coverage. It was a good pass, but to say the coverage was great is an overstatement. Cro held him to keep him from scoring, yet allowed the catch.

I agree the Miles Austin TD was an excellent coverage, but he still allowed the big play. Im fine with Cro, just want him to keep the big plays to a minimum. Revis has given up big plays and will give up big plays in the future too. Nobody is perfect. I just hope Cromartie doesn't let those plays get out of his hands (pun intended).

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Having a hard time reading?

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I've bashed Cro since he got here.

I've seen him play live. The guy's a freak...he'd give Usain Bolt a good race while backpedaling.

Before the Cowboy game, I saw Cromartie making 2 ints. He came close.
    I do think he's positioning himself better on man coverage...which is nice.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I read your username.

Maybe you root for the Jets and like boys? Did I misread that too?

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The last time Oakland and Dallas played, Miles Austin had 7 catches for 145 yards and a TD.

I'm sure Aso didn't allow a lot of it, but still it just goes to show that Miles Austin putting up good numbers isn't a fluke.

18. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

The Cromartie-Asomugha debate is a moot point, though. Asomugha was never coming here. The Jets made him a competitive offer, and I firmly believe he kept dillydallying because he didn't wanna play in Revis's shadow. When push came to shove, the guy didn't wanna be #2.

Everyone would've loved to have Asomugha. But I think Cromartie's a fine player regardless, and he did very well here last year.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I read somewhere that the Jets offered 3 years 30 million for Aso

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

How do u know it was a competitive offer? From what I heard, Jets never changed their offer. A competitive offer would be 5 years $60 mil. Did Jets offer that? He said it all along he wanted to play for Rex and with Revis.

It is a moot point, but I was simply giving an opinion on whom I preferred.