Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

He played like shit and got punked in this game. Is he worth his contract? I don't know, it is only game one. Relax.

Sent from my EVO 3D

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This is my biggest knock on Cro, he is soft and lazy a lot of times. When he gives 100% he plays so solid but he seems to give 80% constantly with bursts of 100% from time to time. It's like he has a little Randy Moss in him.

I still think if he would have gave that 100% and went up for the ball with Dez he makes that play and bats it down.

If you watch the highlight from the back of the endzone angle, Cro has his head around just as long as Dez does and doesn't even go up for the ball. He thinks he can just get by with holding his jersey and trying to keep Dez planted while he uses his long arm to bat the ball, lazy, soft, not leaving it on the field, however you want to look at it.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The only time Cromartie doesn't play soft is when he's conceiving another bastard child.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's not lazy. He plays. But he refuses to use his hands because he loves his speed so much he wants to outrun the WR.

You can't be lazy as a CB. You'll get burned constantly. Cro isn't lazy.

What he got was out muscled.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Of course not. He never was. If you saw him play last year and were familiar with his off-field history, then you knew it was overpaying for sure.

That said, we ran out of options at cb, and he does know the system. He's a good player. But when you sign free agents, you almost always overpay. Look at Scott and Pace. Are they worth that much? No, but they're solid players to have. Same with Cro

6. IATA

IATA Trolls

thethreadstarter,mildlyretarded?

7. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

cro is worth it, it just seems he is a ridiculously slow starter. come january he will be at the top of his game.

8. Massena

Massena New Member

Well, he's probably not worth that contract but he is the guy on the field, so worth or not this is what we have. Deal with it and hope for the best. He's not really that bad but he is on the same team with Revis and his performance is being compared with Revis' performance. Probably not fair really.

9. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

he sucked the first game last year (aside from that one pick). and then he played awesome in the 2nd game, and much better throughout the season.

don't blow shit out of proportion based on 1 game.

we hold corners to such a high standard because of revis. Cro is one of the top 10-15 corners in the league. He's inconsistent but that's what happens when you go against great receivers and good QBs.

10. 624

624 Banned

Then why is your username a question if you know the answer?

Also, why is the thread title a question if you answer it in your OP?

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Considering the circumstances and what Rex's defense calls for, the options were Cro or Kyle Wilson. I'll take Cro at this point. Cro did get shit on last night, but realistically he was right there for some int attempts and things could have easily went the other way. Also it's not like Cro was getting lit up by some random WR's, Austin and Bryant are one of the best duos in the league.

12. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

This post wins.

Whoever said he played like shit... no idea what game you were watching. Not only did he have perfect or near-perfect positioning on those two TDs against top-flight WRs and a QB who masquerades as elite in the first three quarters of a football game, but people seem to forget that it was his coverage that neutralized the Cowboys' WRs after the first drive, except for one TD where Cromartie would've had a game-changing INT if his hand positioning was slightly different.

I wonder if people think the Johnathan Josephs and Devin McCourtys and Antoine Winfields could've achieved that kind of positioning against Austin and Bryant last night with no safety help. They're just not physically gifted enough to do it. After the top tier of cover CBs-- which IMO is Revis, Asomugha, Champ Bailey, Vontae Davis, Charles Woodson, and maybe Corey Webster and Dunta Robinson-- I don't know who you can put above Cromartie. Nobody else other than those guys gets put on an island against elite receivers like him. And people seem to forget that when Revis was out last year, Cromartie was money.

The League has better ball-hawks, that's for sure-- McCourty, Asante Samuel, Tramon Williams, guys like that-- but those players very often get safety help in man coverage. Ball-hawking is a much more easily replaceable skill than matching Miles Austin stride-for-stride with no safety help on a 30-yard fly route. Plus I thought his tackling was a lot better last night, so he's made an effort to improve in that area.

IMHO the guy is well worth the contract he was given. I say this time and time again, but Revis has spoiled Jets fans, and he shouldn't be the minimum standard for cornerback excellence. Besides him and Asomugha, every other player at the position has appreciable flaws. That doesn't mean they suck. Cromartie is a player who has some issues, but he's improving in his areas of weakness and brings unmatched physical talent to the table. This deal also has him signed for all the prime years of his career.

And if you're gonna judge things on this one game, then if Cromartie's performance is enough to keep a very explosive Cowboys offense in check when their OL does a pretty respectable job stifling the Jets' pass rush, then sign me the fuck up. I'll take wins like this over quality teams eight days a week.

13. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I actually thought Cro played decent last night, it just looked like he got crapped on due to the two TD. Other than those passes, I believe he let up 1 to 2 other receptions that didn't go for much. He was straight outmuscled on that catch with Austin.

What doesn't make sense to me is the stupid 50/50 rule. If thats the case, why were the Jets not awarded the ball in those 2 picks last year against GB? Pretty sure both times our receivers had 50/50 possession against the Packers CB.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Be careful there you are using logic and that will almost assure you of losing the clowns on here that can't follow a logical argument. To all you non-believers you know where you can go.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That raises the question whether to say overpaid, does that mean compared to other free agents? Or compared to drafted players signed to long term contracts, who luckily happened to work out, compared to the ones who didn't and have been cut?

On the FA market he got what he could, and the Jets needed him. So by that measure, I think the Jets did not overpay him.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Cro is a good corner but he's no that good. he always starts out slow, he did the same the first game of the year against the ravens last year. I think he will be better but he does seem to get raped more then you would like. 4/32... Idk. I Think he's worth it. IDK, Fuck my life.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Is he as good as Revis? No

Is he expensive? Yes

Should he have wrestled the ball away from Austin? Yes

Can we get back to the AFC championship without him? No way in hell

Argue all day about whether he is worth, $5 mil, $ 8 mil, or $ 10 mil but the fact is we need Cro in a big way.

Also, the Cowboys receivers are no joke. Very few teams have two guys that good at WR, much less Whitten running routes underneath.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i thought cro played well last night...

you can blame him for the bryant catch, but he was in good position... there was a similar play for a first down were revis was in similar position and bryant pulled it down over him as well.

the miles touchdown, again cro in great position, miles took it away. bryant/miles are 2 of the most gifted playmakers in the league. thats going to happen.

im MUCH more concerned with our S/LB inability to cover then cro.

19. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

How quickly people forget Lito sheppard, Lowery (on the outside) and countless others that when lined up on the other side of Revis look terrible. Did Cro get beat on a couple scoring play? Yes. But he played very well for most of the game. Even then he was in pretty good position on both big plays (Im sure he would like to have those back). And lastly, give the Cowboys offense some credit. Dez and Miles austin are no slouches. They can flat out play and are probably on of the best WR tandems in the league right now. Also while Romo is known for choking late, he makes plenty of great plays leading up to the choke.

WE ARE SPOILED BY REVIS!!! PEOPLE WOULD BE CRYING FOR CRO TO COME BACK IF HE WASNT HERE AND WE HAD SOMEONE ELSE LINED UP WITH REVIS.

20. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

not at all

that said the jets had to sign him because they waited on aso forever and when he pussied out the jets had no left but cromartie to sign