Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It wasn't insane to think the Jets should bring in competition for Folk or replace him. 77% isn't great. Novak was pretty solid competition given what's out there. Folk beat him out. No problem with that.

As for McKnight, his problems are mostly out of his control: people don't like that they traded Leon Washington for him, or people don't like that they cut Danny Woodhead because they didn't want to cut bait with McKnight. The vomiting last year didn't help, but he can't control the other things.

Glad he did something in a meaningful game to help us win. I'm a little down on Shonn Greene right now, and there's a decent chance that either McKnight or Powell will have to play a big role down the stretch. I like McKnight's skill-set. I view him more as a third-down back, which LT already dominates, but there's always room for a 5-11, 205 lb guy who can catch the ball and is as athletic as he is.

Now, his defenders have tangible evidence to latch onto that he helped us win a game that matters. Besides that Buffalo game, which shouldn't be completely dismissed at all, either.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well said Mack.

It just proves it takes 3 years to judge a prospect.

McKnight is showing the potential he had coming out of college. We have to tip our cap to this kid getting a culture shock once he became a pro, and wants to do nothing but become a great player to prove everyone wrong.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

why are you down on Greene? The offensive line didn't open up any running lanes.

i don't think it was a coincidence we threw the ball so much

4. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Good McNight, Scotty

5. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Agreed. I wasn't impressed with our o-line last night. Maybe it's cause I'm spoiled, but I didn't see any of the huge holes we are used to seeing.

6. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

McKnight made a great play! Good for him and I think we will continue see more flashes from him going forward. This is the way to get more oportunities!

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Seriously?
    Ask yourselves this question, Are the Dallas D crap? (apart from their secondary), this is also a Rob Ryan D.
    Our Oline is far from perfect, but is still loads better than most NFL teams.
    Ware was on fire last night, as was Lee.
    I'll be very very surprised if Dallas are not in the POs. As the season goes on, I'm sure this win will seem all the more impressive.

8. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna throw Greene under the bus yet. We hardly ran the ball at all, and when we did there was nowhere to go

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm down on Greene myself. I've actually held my tongue for a while with him, but I'm going to say it now. He's a 1 down per 4 running back. He's Thomas Jones reincarnated.

LT gets more yardage simply because he doesn't run north-south on a straight line. Greene is "put my head down and run" and it's not going to penetrate to the second level, just like TJ. I have problems with the way the line played last night but Greene doesn't, and hasn't, looked good since his playoff explosion that sent Jones packing.

I want McKnight to get opportunities. He's got explosiveness. If you want to run the ball, you need a guy who can command respect by more than the front 4. Greene doesn't command any respect outside of the line and maybe one LB.

The kid has done everything within his own ability to warrant a shot. It's time to give it to him.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If Greene doesn't get on that roll like he did late in the season his first two years, I'd think McKnight is the next guy who will get a chance. Later in the year LT but for most of the season if it's not Greene it should be McKnight. Both of them need to hold onto the ball or it will be someone else.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

He made a play on special teams unblocked. It still doesnt compensate for his lack of skils as a running back.I dont think Greene played that poorly to begin with but if he's not the running back we hope he'll be...then we better go get another runnng back. McKnight isn't the answer.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

McKnight has all the skills to be a weapon in the run and the passing game.

He isn't going to be a feature back, but he has the skills to play in this offense.

LT is going to be used way more than McKnight and Greene when the Jets are behind because he can do everything, not just one specific role that tips the defense to what is going to happen.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you actually thought LT would take a backseat to Greene, then I don't know what to tell you.

Even at his age, LT is the far more versatile, more dangerous player.

Greene's not making much money. He's done well for this team in a lot of games, but he's an easily replaceable back - fact is, most RBs are replaceable.

You can't replace LT's leadership and knowledge in this game. Sanchez relied heavily on him, especially on third down. I fucking love what Tomlinson's done for Mark Sanchez and this offense.

Bilal Powell will most likely replace Greene if he doesn't start playing more consistent football. Joe McKnight will hopefully replace LT when he calls it quits.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I hope the Jets get up big on Jacksonville so LT can get a break.

Hopefully Powell is active. He and McKnight will take some wear and tear off of Greene and LT.

We're going to need LT against good teams. Let's just hope the Hall of Famer holds up.

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I would expect more Greene between the tackles the next few games. When the jets are in passing mode it would be foolish not to have LT out there. He is a more seasoned blocker and receiver. The fact of the matter is that when he is on the field the whole playbook is available to the offense. Can't say the same about any of the other backs.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

When the Jets have a lead and Greene can wear down defenses, then faith will be restored in him.

Last night was not Greene's kind of game, because the Jets were down and it was pass time.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's what I'm thinking as well.

The Jets need to take advantage of using LT against playoff teams, allow his dynamic plays to keep the offense rolling.

But JAX and OAK, he needs 4 touches in those games, and the Jets need to have the lead the entire game. There is no excuse for the Jets to not kick the shit out of both of them.

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Greene get at least 18-20 carries against Jax. Wouldn't mind McKnight having 3-5 as well if the game dictates it. Hopefully, to utilize him effectively and save his legs, LT only gets touches on a few passes out of the backfield.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

The key to LT is not lining him up and ramming him up the middle into the teeth of the defense 15 times a game like they did last year. When he gets out in space and catches the ball he doesn't take those big shots because he gets into the secondary and goes up against much smaller players.

You are totally right we need to conserve him for the big games and the stretch run into the playoffs. He in his 3rd down role that we saw last night is actually a far more important part of the offense than Shonn Greene is getting 200+ carries this year. If anything were to happen to Greene, we would have to go to Powell and McKnight and not be tempted to throw LT back into the feature role. He's too important doing what he's doing now.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jacksonville's bad.

I'll be paying close attention to Oakland tonight, because I feel like they're on the verge of getting out of that mediocrity stage. They have a lot of talent on their roster.

The Jets are definitely much better than the Raiders, but it may not be an easy game.