Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

So anyone over , say 50 is too "outdated" to discuss football intelligently. This from the man with the ball sack for an avatar. By the way, I'm sure Namath at 65, still knows more, and can provide more intelligent insight then Jenkins, Woody, Farve. Let me guess, you have trouble with authority figures.

2. Skicats

What about listerning to him is embarrassing? He speaks the truth.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I much more tired of Joe Walton.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Listen to him speak. It is embarrassing that for some reason he is still seen as some type of mascot for the jets.

Whether you agree with the points he is attempting to make is pretty much irrelevant to why I wish he would just fade away like a legend is supposed to.

5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you had to experience the unbridled joy and happiness winning SB III
    brought to a little kid to give Joe a pass on being old. Just the memory of hollering
    and whooping around the living room with dad and my brothers still makes me smile.
    My sis being a Dolphins fan is just icing on the cake.Bwahahahaha

6. Skicats

I'm sure he is not asking to be a guest on all the shows that ask him on. What does listen to him speak, mean? He knows the game of football inside and out. What about "the way he speaks" bothers you? One day you will hopefully get to his age, and you will want to be heard from.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Namath sounds like he's always drunk or hungover.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's not like he was a dynamic speaker when he was younger. He goes on these shows b/c he is getting PAID by sponsors to do so. The sponsor pays Joe, they contact various media outlets and they get to interview Joe and he gives the company a plug.

9. Skicats

Brilliant.

10. Skicats

Sometimes. Sometimes they just have him on for his "expertise".

11. ukilledkenny

He sounds unintelligent.

I can appreciate that when you were both young Joe was the man but the truth that you seem to love so much is that Joe usually comes off sounding like an idiot. I really don't care what his opinion on anything is, good or bad, because of it.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but we seem to have a very disproportionate percentage of posters here who will never grow old.

Who knew there was some maximum age for talking about football?

Btw, what is it?

13. Skicats

14. Skicats

Is it that he doesn't use enough big words for you? What "sounds unintelligent" when he discusses football. You don't want to listen to Joe Namath, don't listen. Ignorance is bliss.

15. nyjunc

I don't think that is the case, he was awful as a color commentator in games. No one is asking for his expertise, they want to talk SB III and the current Jets.

16. Skicats

Why would they want to talk to Joe Namath about the current Jets? He is obviously old and outdated, unintelligent, ignorant and ....

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Joe Namath walks on fucking water. A little personal story I've told a few too many times around here:

I graduated college and volunteered for Army OCS and in 1967, and by 1968 I was a new 2LT and jumping with the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg. That fall, I received my orders to report to "the Republic of Vietnam" and the Army gave me a Christmas leave before I was to ship out.

So I'm home on leave in early January and been following the Jets and especially Namath's prediction just prior to the SB. I thought this guy had a pretty good set of balls. He predicted the Jets would win the SB outright, even though the Vegas oddsmakers had us as heavy underdogs. The articles in the Newark Star Ledger were no better... the Jets were laughing stocks of the sports writers and had no chance. And the "Broadway" image was just unacceptable to the older sports jocks and media who saw Namath as a foppish, mink-coat wearing, outlandishly flamboyant, heavily drinking womanizer who didn't even belong in pro sports, period.

So my dad and I are sitting in the family room watching the pregame show and I had like 3 days before I had to go to Newark Airport enroute to Travis AFB for my Pan Am flight to Saigon.

My Uncle Jim calls up (he was an attorney in Baltimore... my mom's brother), and he's giving my dad some heat on the phone about our Jets. Of course, he's a huge Colts fan. And he asks my dad if he'd like to make a little wager on the game. So my dad says, "Sure," and Uncle Jim says, "And how many points do I have to give you?"

So my dad says, "None, I'll take them even up. Namath says we're going to kick your ass." Well, of course, Jim is laughing hysterically at the mere thought of it and you all know the outcome. And needless to say, my dad was back on the phone to Baltimore after the game to give Uncle Jim the "royal treatment."

3 days later I'm on the plane to Vietnam and I spent the next 12 months as a Combat Advisor to the South Vietnamese... accompanying them on daytime operations, night ambushes, etc. It was an infantry slot and I was in the field with them for the entire one year tour... Bronze Star, CIB among other Vietnamese citations, etc. 1969 was the 2nd-highest casualty rate in Vietnam and not a very good place to be if one had an insecurity complex, let's put it that way.

But throughout the entire year, sometimes I found myself thinking about that last weekend at home and that Jets Superbowl and how much fun it would be to make it home again and be able to go to some Jets games with my dad and maybe see Namath in person when I got home. It all seemed so far away, but it was definitely one of the things that kind of kept me going over there... getting back to what we called "the real world."

After I made it home, when Namath's knees got bad and he wound up in Los Angeles with the Rams, it was heartbreaking. In fact, seeing him on TV in that hideous blue and gold uniform with #12 on it looked downright ridiculous to me.

But my dad and (and especially me) never forgot about that SB and especially the bet with Uncle Jim. And after I got home I started going to some games and eventually was able to get season tickets for my family. My dad is still alive, BTW. He's 91 years old and still rooting...

Joe walks on fucking water.

18. nyjunc

He's associated w/ the Jets and the current Jets are a hot topic so on these promo tours they'll ask the same old SB III questions then get his thoughts on the current, relevant Jets.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

In the 1970's, Joe's football opinion was still relevant.

In 2011, he should be color commentating the local drinking games down at O'Malleys.

20. ukilledkenny

I don't, if you don't wanna hear my opinion of him currently stop reading.

I'll never say anything bad about him as a player but as the old guy who sits on the side and yells random stuff I will call him an old fool who sounds unintelligent.