Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Coach K, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

[YOUTUBE]OA_-mhoksL8[/YOUTUBE]

always heard great things about this series and the original on PC back in 2000 is supposed to be one of the best PC games ever.

they were the first to mix the rpg/fps genres at a high level. (at least i cant think of a game before it of its kind or that got the kind of reception it did)

never played any of the first two though.

pretty interested in this if anyone has played it drop some feedback.

2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I have it. The first 20 min were incredible, about to keep playin it. Will let you know more

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

did you buy it?

if so you feel its worth the purchase?

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

This better not be like that ridiculous airport story

5. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i haven't played it much but from what i've played its good. i never played the first one, so i don't have any expectations.

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Rock its time to turn in your book report

jk

lol

did u buy or rent?

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Sorry forgot about this thread.

I bought it for $60 for XBOX360

I'm still only about 30 minutes into the game. I can tell this game is the shit though. It plays like a movie almost, but it integrates being a good first person shooter with stealth objectives and role-playing. I guess it's like Metal Gear Solid meets Mass Effect.

You can play however you want and you have a leveling system through physical augmentations. If you choose to sneak around the entire level like a ninja you can do that. If you want to go in spraying everyone with an automatic rifle you can do that too. There is no punishment either way as the end-game is the same so that's cool and gives freedom. The augmentations are like power ups where you can upgrade your brain for hacking and shit, or upgrade your legs for sprinting speed, or health.. etc.

You really just have to play the game though as it's tough to describe. It's pretty unique but it's definitely worth putting time into. As to whether you should buy or rent.. I don't know. I need to put more time into it after work. I've been busy the past couple days

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thanks

basically everything ive read describe it as a game that flirts with perfection and falls JUST short due to questionable enemy AI and so-so boss battles.

the more i read the more im sure the game is so impressive that you expect perfection and things you would usually overlook in a game get augmented due to the high quality of everything else across the board

9. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i'm only minutes into it, honestly... but the AI is actually impressive to me. they run out of bullets, they provide covering fire for other AIs. Like this game becomes more and more impressive to me the more i play it. the only gripe i have is actually character acting. sometimes its downright laughable. but that is a joke of a gripe anyway.

as far as rock's evaluation, spot on. the game doesn't punish you for going any direction you choose. it lets you play the way you want. one thing i liked is how the choices you make are reflected in game by the characters. you'll get shit from some people based on choices you didn't even know you made. kinda neat.

#9 theBidet, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

is this a game you see yourself playing through more than once?

i read first playthrough should take 25-40 hrs

11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Deus Ex, Human?

12. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i'm still early on, so my initial thought is yes. just bc i'd like to see how playing other ways goes.

in all honesty though, the game has got to be fantastic for me to want to invest the time again if its closer to the 40 in that number.
    like Metal Gear was good, but i didn't play it again until months after bc it was a big time sink for me. uncharted 2, i jumped right back into, bc i played that game in a very short time.

so short story long, i'd like to say due to the number of configurations and playable options, yeah its looking like a no brainer to want to play again. from everything i've read, i think its going to be long (i'm not some super awesome avid gamer or anything) and good.

13. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Will buy. Always been a MGS fan and recently got into Mass Effect and couldn't put it down.

I was debating buying this to tide me over during Irene. Didn't end up doing so, looks like I'm going to regret that if its as good as you say.

14. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

having played this for long enough, and seeing the ending(s) and how they relate to the overall story, i feel i can accurately judge it.

i can say this game is very deep. parts of the game in the early goings are annoying (hacking) but get easier as the game progresses. parts of hte game are amazing in its depth.... but i felt it drag on towards the end.

last week i was saying to a coworker that this game is in the top 3 for me of the ps3 (MGS4/Uncharted2/Deus Ex HR).... having played it longer i don't know if its the top 3 anymore. RPG fans and fans of the first deus ex might still consider it a great game.. but the end of it... i just thought it was a really good game with a fuck ton of options. the game plays different based on actions/decisions and that really is the best part of the game. voice acting is hilariously bad at times (whatever not a big deal). bosses are somewhat forgettable (honestly the first one is the toughest, bc once you figure out how to beat him... you've figured out how to beat all of them).

i would say there's replay value, but only bc i was playing a game alongside my brother in law, and his game was vastly different (character interactions/cutscenes/etc). If i didn't know the game would change based on things he or i did. i don't know if i would consider a replay.

15. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Well I finished the game last night. Probably took me 35+ hours in gametime but I like to venture around and find secret vents and rooms and shit. I can honestly say this is one of the greatest games I've ever played. The campaign is phenomenal and shit gets real crazy at the end.

I originally said this is Metal Gear Solid meets Mass Effect and that still kind of holds true, but I'd say there is a lot of 'Fallout' thrown in. Replay value is there if you're into spending lots of hours beating games in different ways or replaying to get a different result which is possible in this game. I'm not one of those people but I know a bunch of people are into that stuff.

Bottomline: For $60 this game is absofuckinglutely worth it. Maybe you don't get 200 hours worth of multiplayer but the campaign is worth it.

16. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i would agree its worth it..
    i too like to find all the hidden shit... and its that part of it that makes the game awesome (bc in doing that i saw cutscenes and options that my brother in law didn't).
    i wouldn't say its one of the greatest just bc of the thinkgs that annoyed me with hacking and collision detection.. bodies getting stuck in the wall and shit.
    but those are little gripes.
    don't get me wrong. its a phenomenal game... i just think i was more impressed with it midgame than endgame.

17. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Nice. I bought it on Steam the day it came out, mostly because that extended trailer is baller, but haven't actually fired it up yet, due to both lac of time, and my greater interest in killing real people on multiplayer. (I'm about a 1.75 ratio on Black Ops, creeping higher)

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I can't play Black Ops anymore. I'm just completely uninterested in COD anymore.

19. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

I started late, plus it helps having a server I really like, being able to bash rivals on Ventrilo after I shoot them.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

360 or PS3??