David Garrard to be released

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetsons, Sep 6, 2011.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

If Del Rio doesn't take a team that's 35 million under the cap to the playoffs, he's out? What a joke. Del Rio should quit now. No one deserves this crap. Weaver's operating this team like a slumlord. He has absolutely zero credibility.

-X-

2. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

They'll be in LA soon enough.

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

That's the thing. You just made a big investment in Gabbert, and you're not giving him the tools to succeed. They let Mike Sims-Walker go, and didn't replace him with anyone appreciably better. They're hoping that a few healthy guys and veteran additions will boost an offensive line that gave up 38 sacks last year. It is awful all around.

Why would anyone pay to see that? Very obviously, they wouldn't. I think Weaver is going to use this as his opportunity to move the team to Los Angeles.

-X-

4. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I guess they wanted to move on from Garrard and figured, why waste another year? I don't agree personally. They haven't given Garrard a decent WR core in a while, if ever. The defense sucked ass.

I doubt any new QB will fare any different. Del Rio won't make the playoffs, so his only hope is to get sympathy due to having a new QB. Probably won't happen. Poor Gabbert.

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Wow, Garrard was scheduled to make 8 million this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/tag/_/name/garrard-cut

"The Jaguars didn’t have to come out and say it was a money decision. But failing to acknowledge that Garrard’s scheduled base of over $8 million was a mistake. Why not say he wasn’t playing like an $8 million quarterback, but that even if he was due $800,000 this would have been the football decision?"

Did the owners invest in some bad real estate or something?

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Yes.

As sad as that sounds, he has upside...

This bum has none. He is just a middle of the road QB.

7. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call him a bum. 64.5% completion rating 28 TDs (23 passing, 5 rushing) to 15 ints in 14 games played. He's above average, at least statistically.

I'd still start Henne too if I were the Dolphins, might as well give him another year before giving up.

But for teams with below average QB's (Seattle) they should think about picking up Garrard.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They didn't want Garrard landing in Indy.

Plus they didn't want to pay $9M for a guy they were going to bench halfway through the season.

9. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

If the Jaguars had ever surrounded Garrard with reasonable talent at skill positions, he would be much more highly regarded. On a percentage and per attempt basis, his career numbers are better than those of Eli Manning.

Sadly, the Jags franchise is among one of the worst drafting franchises in the NFL. 2005, 2007, and 2008 failed to yield any impact players whatsoever. That's not Garrard's fault.

-X-

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We better light McCown up next week or I'll be pissed. They have a rookie at LG and an injured RT and no real threats at receiver, plus MJD is coming off of knee surgery. If this game is anywhere close in the 4th quarter I'm going to lose it.

11. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much. Nothing against the McCowns, but their presence on a roster is typically indicative of a franchise that's in full crisis mode.

-X-

12. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

To be honest, I don't think that mattered at all to them.

TBH, i see- Del Rio attempting to save his job by going along with a rebuild, saving his owner 8-9 million and hoping that's enough

Weaver trying to get a number 1 draft pick and put his team in a great position financially to move to Los Angeles.

-X-

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

so much for the 5 offers his agent said he was deciding among yesterday.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
    Looks like no quick decision for free-agent QB David Garrard. His agent, Al Irby, said today, "Hope to know our direction next week."

14. bojanglesman

Either way he wasn't going to start week 1, so he might as well choose carefully and take his time.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

i think its more of a, nobody wants to sign him and guarantee his salary for the year right now. But that said, he should have a job early next week, and possibly by the end of the weekend.

16. bojanglesman

Probably true. If this would have happened earlier in the preseason of before it, this guy would be a great pickup for a team in need of a QB. He's a big, mobile QB. I think he could really do well if he actually had WRs anyone's heard of. The shitty talent (minus Jones-Drew) around him on the Jags has really brought his stock down.

He'll probably end up on another shitty team because he wants to start sooner, but I think he'd really do well on a good team if they lose their starting QB (Ravens?).

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As long as he isn't on any payroll the first day of the season then nothing is guaranteed. You are right and that is why people are waiting.

18. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Agreed, I always thought that Garrard became a little underrated because he got overpaid. You can win 10 games with Garrard under center; that's more than you can say for a lot of starters in this league (Tavaris Jackson, Alex Smith, Chad Henne, Andy Dalton, Rex Grossman, and of course Luke McCown just to name a few.)

I also think that Del Rio is a solid coach. People forget that he was considered one of the best defensive coaches in football before the Jags hired him; he'll certainly land on his feet once they finally can him (either as a D-Coordinator or a studio analyst.)

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

20. Joker78

Joker78 Banned

Gotta feel bad for the guy