Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread because, quite frankly, I'm sure my opinion is irrelevant. However, 17a brings up a really good general point. I fucking HATE Patriots and Giants fans (who I tend to deal with the most) telling me that all I have to bring up or rely on is the 1 superbowl from before I was born and an ancient QB. I get it. We haven't won in a long fucking time. But the Jets have a fucking AWESOME history and we have had some incredible players and exciting seasons. Shit, I became a Jets fan because I thought Freeman McNeil and Al Toon were gods. I'm sure everyone on this site can name awesome Jet players NOT named Joe Namath. And it seems like since Hard Knocks, Namath has become the face of the franchise again, and I'd prefer that not be the case. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I wish they would feature Klecko too!! I use his name on Jets boards out of respect for accomplishments. I think he tarnished himself a bit by going to jail, however, and that may be why the Jets don't feature him more. It probably is also what has kept him out of the HOF. I wasn't much of a CuMar fan, but he is another that is respected and liked by most, so should be another who is a face of the Jets. In spite of their horrific record and history as a franchise, they have had some good players over the years. I think that the Jets as a franchise have been so ashamed of their history that they've tended to try to sweep it all under the carpet, including former players. Maybe this will change one day.

3. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

LOL!!! Gotta love ACC basketball fans. Very creative and funny!

4. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I guess times are different, because when I was growing up and then in my early adult years, I read everything I could get my hands on about the teams and players I admired and rooted for. We didn't have the access to the internet with all its video clips, the NFL channel didn't exist, and didn't have the ability to see actual past games as exist today. We had to rely on books, newspaper and magazine articles and maybe a few pictures. I don't understand how/why you would root for a team with such a sorry history, and ignore its one moment of glory and one of its best players. I would think you'd want to go back and see Namath, Maynard, Sauer, Boozer and other great Jets in action.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You don't have to literally see someone play in orde to know what they did. Your position sounds rather self involved.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Of course it's self-involved. It's the way I feel about teams I root for.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

"I don't want to hear about the Jets before I started rooting for them! It's my rooting for them that counts!"

Alrighty then.

8. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

cant use this card. you actually went to a tgg.com night out u fuckin poser.

9. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

Curtis Martin

10. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Until someone else leads this team to the promised land Joe Namath will be the face of the franchise's history. He brought the Jets to the forefront, he was brash yes, and still is. But the fact is he, and the Jets 1968 team are the face of this franchise...for now.

In alot of ways, personality wise, Namath and Ryan are cut from the same mold, although with different styles. Both are brash, both speak their minds, both make bold predictions and are outspoken and both are somewhat controversial.....Namath was famous off the field for his stockings, womanizing and drunken behavior, Ryan for his foot fetish and flipping off cameras etc.

But until this team wins another superbowl, there remains only one face of the franchise....because only one has made the Guarentee and only one has brought the trophy home.
    That's just the way it is.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I am a HUGE fan of tons of Jets not named Joe Namath. I'd like to hear from Winston Hill and Matt Snell and Rich Castor, Klecko and of course Carl Barzilauskas amongst many others.

BUT - None of those guys are getting on Dave Letterman and none of them attract National recognition in anyway that is even the least bit comparable to #12. So that is the media dynamic and celebrity system that we have in the NFL. If you don't like it - blame Sonny Werblin because he is the marketing genius who helped make Namath a HUGE STAR and together they were integral to transforming the NFL into the massive modern ATM machine that it became.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Even my Dad, whose 72 years old and had season tix at the Pologrounds when the Jets were the Titans thinks Joe needs to gracefully fade away.

Joe and Mickey Mantle were, are, and always will be his idols from an athletic perspective. He's still bummed that The Mick wasn't the greatest guy off the field. Now, he really wants Joe to keep his trap shut.

My poor Dad (who is internet savvy) called as soon as he heard about Joe and the wet cheerleaders comment. His words, "Joe...thanks for what you did, but stop talking."

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's as if the only former player any of these reporters or witers have in their rolodex is Namath. While he's the most recognizable he's arguably not the best player we've ever had. There are plenty of others I'd love to hear from and what they have to say about the team. Guys like Toon, O'Brien, Gastineau, McNeil, Mo Lewis, Snell and Boozer all probably have opinions on the team and probably wouldn't be shy about giving them.Quite honestly I'd love to hear what Gastineau thinks of our team and Rex.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

"I'm out of money."

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Touche (filler)

16. my85olds442

my85olds442 New Member

you have got to be kidding! Joe is STILL the man!!!

17. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

He is an old, tired man.

Ok, so I lied. An old, Tired, Perverted, Drunk, Man.

18. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Bahahaha.

All Joking aside, I agree. I would love to hear what Gastineau thinks of Rex Ryan, the Jets D, and Mark Sanchez.

19. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

until another JET wins a SB, namath can say and do whatever he wants!

he has, and always will be the face of this franchise.

I wasn't alive when we won the SB, but I know, and respect the history of namath, and that entire 68 team.

I heard a respective person in the nfl the other day say, namath is the most instrumental person in the history of football, that's saying something.

20. Trifco

Trifco New Member

That's not very optimistic at all.