Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

The "he knows more football than you and me" argument is very overplayed and silly. Of course he does. So do college coaches. Doesn't mean they should be running our team. I'm sure the OC @ Appalachian St. knows more football than we do also. It doesn't make him good enough to coach a SB caliber team.

Also, my criticism of Schotty isn't from a bad play or two. I'm not liek the guys who just started hating him simply because of the 3 running plays against Pittsburgh. I've been calling him out for a while. We started off the season not being able to move the ball from the 1st ame. A DECENT outing on offense would have won us that game vs Baltimore. Same was the case against Green Bay. We also got bailed out by our special teams in a lot of games. With the new kickoff rule (stupid as fuck btw), we may not have that luxury anymore. (not to mention losing Brad Smith)

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I have specifically stated that nobody on this team (including Rex) gets the benefit of the doubt from me until this team wins a championship (not that consecutive bronze medals aren't nice.)

3. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

yeah i wasn't trying to pigeon hole anyone with my posts....
    having said that. i've been on him from some time too... fact is, the staff keeps him on board. so they see something, or know something we don't.

and as pointed out a few posts earlier. his ineffectiveness lies on rex. that's it. i'm sure he's asked to gamplan, and he and rex go over it.
    if the plan is weak, not working, what have you, that also goes to rex. moreso as he's the head coach. sure, he's defensive so its easy to say he defers to schotty on that. but rex himself said, last season i believe, that its on him to be more involved with the offense. so its on rex.

you don't like schotty, that's fine. hell maybe you do but you're frustrated ... whatever. i'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but you're clearly annoyed with him. i'm not going to, nor is anyone else, be able to convice you or sway your opinions in any way... but really the hate is directed at the wrong coach. its just no one wants to criticize rex. that's just not something that goes over well as a jet fan.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The only thing that I ever have a problem w/ Brian about is his love of trick plays. That's the only thing that drives me nuts every once in a while, other than that I think he calls a really good game. I am very happy w/ our OC.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't disagree with any of this.

Exactly.

I agree with you. I am furious whenever we pull all that stupid pre-snap motion, or pull out the Wildcat for the fourth time that day. Just run the damned plays.

Otherwise, I like our game plans. The other thing no one around here ever wants to acknowledge is that, quite often, our wonderboy QB misses his target on a throw.

But no good Jets fan would ever say a word about Rex or Sanchez. Just pile on the Schottenheimer. The name is synonymous with failure, after all.

6. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

the only thing worse that all the presnap bullshit, is when some rookie gets flagged bc he fucks it up.

about wonderboy, its also on schotty when mark misses the wide open receiver down field for a first when he checks down. not that it happens all the time, but it happens. refresh the game thread and its all "shotty calling a 3yd pass on 3rd and 5"

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The whole reason I hate it is because it throws off the timing of our own guys. It doesn't particularly fool the opposing defense, and even if it did, it doesn't present enough of an advantage to justify the risk of false starts and delays of game.

If it were once or twice a game, it would likely be more effective, and have a higher risk tolerance. When you do it half a dozen times a game, every game though, the defense just holds its ground and waits for you to run your play.

8. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

agreed. like i get its to help sanchez see the coverage and other tells the D is giving him, but at some point he's gonna have to read it without all that shit... so. tone it down. pickin' up what you're puttin' down. completely.

edit:
    lets hope that this being the much talked about 3rd year, we won't have to rely on that crap as much.
    sadly that is kinda what shotty uses in his schemes though, so i'm not holding my breath.

this is one of my gripes with schotty. its a "grrr" kinda annoyance, not a "holy fucking shit firemanedjr was right this whole time" kinda juvenile rage though

#2448 theBidet, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  9. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

Schotty has trouble accepting the fact that some of his plays will never work. If the play didn't work in last 5 attempts why try it again? If it was 8 downs instead of 4 then I can see it tried. I'm sure defenses love when he calls one of his unworkable plays.

Rex needs to bring a magic marker and start crossing out those plays after they fail in a game.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

so, you give him a pass on the failure to grasp the obvious?

Like when he bends the offense over for Dallas front 7 this week, like he did for Baltimore last year?

11. BleednGreen247

LOL AT BRAINLESS

Only thing Brainless is Schittenheimers game plan

*Sanchez getting on a streak, throwing well...Inserts the Wildcat followed by a double reverse, punt*

12. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I wish all the injuries that happened to the Giants this preseason happened to Shottenheimer in one afternoon.

13. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

If I recall, neither Brees nor Rivers started playing like they do now until after BS was gone from the Chargers.

14. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'm pretty sure I have criticized Rex for this in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and look it up. If not here, I know I have on other Jets' sites. No HC or coordinator is perfect. They all have flaws and weaknesses. The bottom line, however, is that Rex is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the Jets' offense and of the team. If the offense consistently struggles and that prevents the Jets from getting to and winning a SB, then that goes on Rex. Does that mean he should be fired? No. It means we have to hope he wakes up and either learns more about offense or starts demanding greater accountability from BS and the offense, and if improvement doesn't happen than changes need to be made, whether it's firing the QB coach, firing BS, trading for another QB or drafting another QB to challenge Sanchez. The ultimate goal is to win the Lombardi Trophy. In one sense, anything less than that is failure. As long as the Jets stay in the hunt every year, Rex's job is safe and it should be, but the same should not be true for BS or offensive position coaches.

I think Rex hasn't gotten too involved with the offense, because he doesn't really like offense, and doesn't want to get that involved with it. I think it's also quite possible that in the area of play calling, Rex lacks confidence because he doesn't really understand that aspect of offense. As you say, regardless of what his reasons are, he is accountable for the offense's success or failure.

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I don't think Rex Ryan has the final say when it comes to firing Brian Schottenheimer.

Let me modify that- I do think Rex could can him if he wanted to, but if he didn't get a clear and obvious upgrade, there would be trouble.

16. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Why? This is Rex's team. I think Woody is solidly behind him, don't you? Do you think either Woody or Tanny would stop Rex from firing BS? If so, why?

When something isn't working as it should, you have to make a change. You can't keep just changing the players and hope that things will magically somehow improve. Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and at least try to improve things.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I've been a notorious Schott-basher over the years, but I thought last year was his best to date. I think his gameplans will only get better as his QB does. He did a great job in 09 with a rookie QB, and solid work in '10.

It's really easy to criticize the play call when the play doesn't work.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I've always felt the biggest issue with Brian is that sometimes he is too smart. This weekend because Dallas will be missing a few key players in the defensive backfield he won't go after the backups. Instead he'll use the "well that's what they're expecting so I will do this instead" approach. Let's just hope we don't have a lethargic first half or this place will be fun.

I think he has a good mind for the game and he understands what it takes to be successful and win but that doesn't always translate to great coach. Execution is part of being a good coach but part of execution comes from making sure your guys are in the right place to make plays. Sometimes we miss that concept.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He wanted Hue Jackson as his OC when Rex was hired in 09, but Hue stayed in Baltimore.

Two years later he's now the HC of the Raiders.

Schotty was his next choice, and he's a good coach. Its just his playcalling is baffling at times, and the red zone issue is a glaring problem that has yet to be fixed.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Amen, Brian can't adjust during games. Rex has got to get Moore and Callahan to take over the playcalling.