vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No he isn't worthy of the 2nd rounder right now, but that's where he was taken. Sometimes you take a guy early because your scouting dept. sees that this prospect is going to be good later in his career due to his size and strength.

I don't see what making millions has to do with not getting better at football at the NFL level, when he wasn't able to have contact with his coaches until late July. That's not an excuse, because there are other 2nd year players that have the same disadvantage and are going through the same issue. Vlad wasn't the only player taken in the 2010 draft.

The news articles said he worked out with his teammates during the lockout in NJ with Bart Scott and a handful of other Jets. I don't see what being with Revis will do. Revis is in AZ and he was taking care of Kyle Wilson, who has shown he can play at this level, the same way he did at the end of the season.

I know I'm seen as the biggest Vlad supporter on the board, but I just enjoy pointing out how he's not this utter piece of shit that is worthless of being on this team, or how we have to dismiss the circumstances that are in front of us fans when it comes to a player like him - a 2nd rounder who was known as a project coming out of college that was in fact going to take a while for him to get anywhere near ready to play in the NFL. He has gotten hurt by the lockout, as has all 2nd year players, but has shown strides in his development. He's getting there.

With all of that said, write him off until next season. Because it was pretty obvious from last year this is how he was going to be. His rookie season was basically a redshirt year.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Vlad's base salary is 410k.

The way current draft picks have been handled is not always the norm. People think he just has to go in and block. Well, there's so much more to it then that. Vlad was the 61st pick, so nearly the 3rd round. We all knew he'd be a project and the musical chairs of positions hasn't helped. He's had his ups and downs, I'm nowhere near the point of giving up on him.

There's examples all over the NFL of players needing time to get adjusted. I hate that fans are now accustomed to draft picks needing to be lights out right off the bat, and now that extends to players in nearly the 3rd round. Makes no fuckin sense at all.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Blame Tannenbaum, Clinkscales, JoJo Wooden, etc for picking players that excel right away. They've ruined it for the picks that take the usual time to progress into NFL players.

Damn that awesome FO!!

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been said already, but I'd just point out that the guy has the physical stature and ability to be a road grader. He may never pan out, technique-wise, but I have no problem taking a shot at him becoming a complete monster.

5. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Well, I just got around to watching Thursday's game against Philly... His worst performance yet. I have never seen anyone commit so many penalties in such a short amount of time. He's still letting up a ton of pressure. As much as many of you rave about his run blocking, I still see him get beat, make mental mistakes, and stand around after plays more than anyone else on the field. He's a liability against backups in his second season. This is not good.

As I've been saying all along, Vlad is not showing progression.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You must not watch much football then...

Stop overreacting all the fucking time.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

obviously the CS and GM disagree with you.

8. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Man, I see what you are saying- we've been fortunate. But Vlad is not on a typical learning curve right now. He's WELL behind that for a second year player, regardless of draft status. To say fans are just impatient because of previous success is incorrect.

It's still pretty early but on a team with real Superbowl hopes, you can't risk having players who can't get the job done- especially at OL. Backup OL that is. He's not a capable backup right now. He gets trashed by other teams backup DL. He commits penalties. If he was a 4th rounder he would have been cut by now- gauranteed. He is by far the worst player on this team right now. Eventually the "upside" has to show more than the downside, and that has not happened.

Pisses me off that good players are getting cut while this bum is a Jet.

9. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

The guy has like 7 penalties and a handfull of sacks in about 2.5 full games through this pre-season. It's not an overreaction- that's horrendous football from a guy this team needs. Weather he's going to be an all pro 5 years from now or not, the guy needs to be a solid backup NOW. I really don't want to say I told you so if someone goes down on the OL.

You know if Vlad had to be the starter he would get mauled.

10. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

That's not necessarily true. They let the Ghost stay on this team for 3 years- does that mean they were happy with him? No, the guy got cut. You think Rex is happy with Vlad's progress right now? You think he's comfortable with Vlad coming in if someone goes down? Fuck no- that's why they just traded for another lineman after Vlads terrible performance Thursday.

Just because the FO/CS doesn't cut a high draft choice doesn't mean they aren't concerned with the guys lack of development.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

being concerned about development by a number of players on this team including Vlad is one thing. Making post after post shitting on a 2d yr backup OL is overreacting. He will either continue to improve or not. If not they will dump him. Not really something that is worth getting worked up about. OL frequently need time to develop but they either do or they don't, in Vlad's case its still too soon to tell, if it wasn't then he would be gone.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What good player has gotten cut in favor of him?

I honestly don't know who you are referring to.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

They traded for Schlauderaff because of Turner. That's what was reported.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Bill Callahan and the scouting department gave him high grades too.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Robby Felix!

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The coaching staff and GM keep adding interior linemen; it tells you EXACTLY what they think about Ducasse's ability to play right now.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'll admit I was rooting for Robby to make the team, but he can only play center.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So they keep adding interior lineman, which is telling to what they're doing to a Right Tackle?

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yup, even though he played guard as rookie they don't trust him to be a backup guard.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Because they don't want him to play guard. Because its been reported that he's a RT only, but played guard due to injuries in the preseason.