Most surprising cuts?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by MikeDevito, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Just curious which cuts you guys think are the most surprising

For me its

Meriweather
    Tate
    Donald Lee
    Oshlanky

and of course

The Gronkowski brothers...I mean we should sign these beasts immediately lol

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I wasn't surprised about Meriweather. I was stunned when James Sanders was from the Patriots.

3. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Some people around here (NE) have been predicting that for a while. Sanders missed most of camp with a "non-football related injury", which reportedly didn't go over well with the coaching staff. He was also getting paid more than he was worth this year, and honestly I thought last year was one of his worst so far. He looked better to me in 2007-2009.

I would have chosen to keep him around, but I'm not sure he was worth much more to us than say Sergio Brown at this point.

I am not surprised that we wanted to get rid of either one of them, but the fact that we cut both with no apparent replacements is unexpected.

4. felker

felker Active Member

Tate's head was on the block as soon as Ochocinco was traded for. Since he didn't improve, gone.

Going into camp I would have said that Meriweather was a lock for the roster. He really must have pissed off the coaches, every game his position with the team went downhill, and he seemed to be in denial about it too. By the last preseason game it was obvious he was doomed.

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

What are you guys thinking about Maneri? Will someone pick him up? will he make the practice squad?

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Are you his cousin?

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No.

hazmat is Steve Maneri.

8. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

David Garrard was released today

9. walnuts24

walnuts24 New Member

And Josh McCown is going to start. Sucks for Jacksonville.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Unless there's something injury-related, that's fucking stupid, especially waiting this late to do it. Garrard is a solid QB. He'll get signed pretty quick by some team.

11. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Pats just cut Darius Butler. Tried to trade him but nobody bit.

12. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Hopefully people start paying attention to the Pats cuts and come to realize how irrelevant Belichick's "genius draft strategy" is. For the most part, it's amounted to the Patriots getting a bunch of backup quality/league average players. Every once in a while, you have to move up or stand pat and take a chance on an exceptional talent.

Belichick's strategy seems to be- quantity, when forced to compete and under my tutelage, can become quality. When this fails, acquire exceptional, character flawed vets with something to prove who will buy into Tom Brady and the Patriot way.

-X-

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Should be noted- when the Pats cut Meriweather, they officially cut every member of their 2007 draft. If Brace gets cut, it will be 3 out of the top 5 guys in that draft. Just awesome.

-X-

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

yeah, well, it seems to be working well enough, I mean the guy's team is always a lock for 12 or so wins at least

15. felker

felker Active Member

Oh snap! Now wide receivers playing NE will actually have to catch the ball instead of being awarded the reception by the refs.

16. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

As long as we beat the Cowboys, we have no excuse but to start the season 3-0.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Oh, sure. He's still the best coach with the best player in the league. That counts for a lot, but it's come to mean less and less come playoff time, because they have very mediocre running backs, linebackers, and defensive backs, and they get exposed.

-X-