Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. 624

624 Banned

Special Teams

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Wallace Wright was a wide receiver who couldn't receive. If McIntyre is useful on special teams and he's a comparable pass rusher and player to Maybin, then he has more value than a one-dimensional special teamer like Wright had. Does Maybin have more long-term upside? Probably. But in Tanny and Rex I trust. If they would rather have McIntyre than Maybin, then I believe that they made the right move.

The "he was cut by Buffalo" argument is a big one. He's done nothing in the NFL to prove he can be a legitimate pass rusher. He was good in college, but that doesn't matter much anymore.

I would have liked to keep Maybin around. But I can't call it a mistake to keep McIntyre over him. This is for the last OLB spot on the team. As Manish reported earlier, Maybin was a luxury. They decided they would rather have Mardy Gilyard, Claude Schadenfreude, Sendejo, and Baxter. I'm not going to criticize that.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That may all be right but then why did Ryan/Tannenbaum think he could enough to sign him two weeks ago to begin with? The cut makes less sense than the signing did. All he did was more than anybody expected he would do, scrubs or not.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

They signed him to get a first hand look at him for two weeks. I would have to think that if Rex thought some time in the weight room and a bit of coaching would have turned him into a beast after watching him this long he would have made sure to keep him. It seems that this wasn't the case now they move on without having lost anything by bringing him in.

5. GeorgeV

GeorgeV New Member

I think they signed him to get a first hand look at him. They watched him in practice against Brick and Hunter to determine if they thought they could use him. Having said that, they may just well bring him back. I don't know. But, it's clear that they don't think he's a game changer right now.

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I guess my issue is we don't have a pass rusher, we don't even have a guy with much potential to be a pass rusher, I'm tired of waiting for Westerman, part of the reason that we have fallen short the last 2 years is that we eventually have games against great QBs that has 25 secs to throw the ball. That hasn't been addressed yet in Tanny's entire time here and just when we see a guy that shows clear potential against the people in front of him we cut the guy.

I know that Maybin is a one trick pony but he has sadly been the closest I've seen of a guy that has something that could on rare occasion beat a guy one on one to pressure the QB. Our pass rush situation has been neglected too long.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Dead wood. Move along.
    Our defensive backfield puts more pressure on QBs than most LB/DLs do in the league anyway. We might not get a lot of glamorous, official sacks in the stats but our defense forces enough INTs/3andouts/low scores to keep us feared regardless.

Plus, isn't Woody Johnson bigger than this guy? Did anyone ever see this guy taking a Big Ben down? Not in a million years.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Rushing the passer isn't all about getting sacks

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Give me a break, our pass rush has been weak, our defense has been great in spite of our pass rush, our secondary and run D is elite, our pass rush has been shown on ample situations when given 25 secs or more and still not get close to the QB. Please don't minimize how important it is in this league to be able to pressure the QB.

10. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

are there any other pass rushing LB's out there?

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Would have liked to have him on the final 53 but I'm not disappointed. I guess the FO felt he wouldn't make an impact against other teams #1s

12. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Exactly. But when the play is designed primarily around DL/LB pressure on the QB, the play is designed for sacks with that DL/LB in the backfield. DB pressure usually leads to a ton of mistakes/incompletions from QBs more than it leads to a sack.

People (including Rex) were hoping this guy was going to find his potential and be some sack machine out of nowhere, and he's not. We've been to 2 back to back AFC championships without a sack machine (actually, a below average pass rush altogether) and we're just going to have to keep kicking ass the way we've been doing it.

13. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

While I'm disappointed that Maybin wasn't given more time to develop, I'm not about to jump off a ledge. What I really don't understand is why some of you fans keep saying that Pace is 100% healthy this year as if that should make some difference. He's never been more than an average, or below average pass rusher. He frequently gets nicked up as well. I don't think he will be any better this year than in previous years. I think that is just some of you guys' wet dream.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The guy had 3 sacks in the preseason, and missed the tackle for the fourth. Yeah it was against backups but that's when they put him in.

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Sorry, this is not only wrong, but laughable. How many interceptions did the Jets get last year? The year before? How many times do they send 6-7 players after the QB (including those beloved DBs of Rex's) and they still fail to get any serious pressure at all? This is the area where Rex IS wrong imo, and until he wakes up and corrects this shortcoming in his lineup, I don't think the Jets will ever have a serious shot at winning a SB.

16. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I would have liked to see him make the 53, perhaps they'll bring him back IDK but I trust Ryan especially with D decisions....

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I was hoping he'd stick. I thought his upside was far better than a lot of the guys he was in competition with, and thought it would be worth it to keep him around and hope they hit a home run instead of taking a guy who will probably never contribute much. That's not to say Maybin would definitely contribute, but if he didn't I don't think it would be any different than keeping some of these other guys.

In the end, no big deal. In Rex we Trust.

18. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

He's trying. This will definitely be a top priority next year. They might find a better option in the next few days.

19. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

He had a nice first step off the line when he didn't jump offsides. Wasn't too good at much else. That being said, I would have kept him, mostly because he has that one skill that no one on this team has.

#479 Johnny4, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  20. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Cool story broski.