Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Rex Ryan now has no idea how to evaluate defensive talent I see.

2. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

You should be a coach.

3. 624

624 Banned

Maybe because Gholston was on a massive contract and not 3 years into the NFL at that time? Oh, and Gholston had a couple preseason sacks too, just like Maybin.

How many "speed pass rushers" did we have on our elite defenses the last two years?

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Mr and Mrs Maybin, I don't think your boy is going to starve.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Gholston was guaranteed a lot more money...that's the only reason he stuck. Maybe was camp fodder and if you go back and watch all the pre-season games he played in all he did was beat scrubs. Not sure where the pass rush will come from but it wasn't going to come from Maybin.

I really don't question Rex when it comes to defense...he's been doing it far too long and too well.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

U all need chill out, alot of our money is invested in the CB's. We cant spend it all on pass rushers. Our CBs essentialy are our "pass rushers" because they buy the Dline time to sack the QB.

And unlike last year, we are entering this season alot more healthier. Pace should be at 100 percent this seasonn, and Revis will be ontop of his game. Cromartie will improve because hes more used to the system. Jamal Westerman is improving apparently and ready to play on the defense.

7. 624

624 Banned

The fuck does any of that have to do with this thread?

8. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

Maybin would be making next to nothing, and we have more than 10 mil in free cap space. Your post is completely irrelevant.

9. GeorgeV

GeorgeV New Member

From what little I saw of Maybin in the pre-season, he seemed to have the speed to get upfield but lack the power to turn the corner and close in on the QB. He just seemed kinda weak to me for a guy who will have to make his living pressuring the QB. On another note, I'm kinda excited about Mardy Gilyard. He certainly brings some additional speed to the slot WR position and can, it appears, replace Kerley in the return game if necessary.

10. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I don't understand why Garrett McIntyre has a place on this team, but Aaron Maybin doesn't. There are 5 guys who will never suit up for the Jets on the 53-man roster. Why not take a shot on a guy who actually impressed? I do like that we picked up Gilyard, but I don't get why Maybin was on the chopping block.

11. BleednGreen247

LOL at keeping shitty ass McIntyre over Maybin

Bad move by Rex

12. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I feel u hit it right on the head here, McIntyre is a smaller clone of Devito, Maybin should be & could be brought back. Maybin could be a missile...Maybin & Pace on passing downs ....:metal::metal::metal:

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Clearly, the staff felt McIntyre is better. While I would have liked to see Maybin on the final roster, it's not like it's a big blow. There's a reason he was cut, and cut so early, by Buffalo.

Plus, if you're the last OLB on the team, you better be good on special teams. Not sure how Maybin does there.

And if McIntyre has the same skin color as DeVito. The similarities end there.

14. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why didn't Westerman abuse those same scrubs then? I don't like to question Rex but we haven't had a pass rusher since Abraham, but I am curious who we bring back for the CB once we drain him for all his info on Dallas

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To be fair though it is Buffalo, there is a reason why they suck. I can't take any stock from their decision making processes.

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I'm not saying Maybin will be a superstar, I'm not saying Westerman--or even McIntyre--won't be. I'm not suggesting that this move will come back to hurt the Jets, in any way, because if there was any coach who could get something out of Maybin, it's Rex. But in the interest of transparency, Maybin did impress when he saw the field, moreso than any other linebacker on the bubble. I can't see why there's not a place for a pure pass rusher on this team, because we've been saying that's our biggest weakness for years. If Westerman is the "DPR," and HIS role is to rush the passer, then the question needs to be asked: is he better at it than Maybin? Plenty of guys can handle special teams--and we cut Wallace Wright two years back, despite him being a boss at it. So I really don't want to hear that being an excuse. I'd just love a reasoning, other than that, and other than the "well, he was cut by Buffalo" argument.

17. felker

felker Active Member

I wonder what finally caused the penny drop regarding Maybin. I'd think decisions like this are made because there is somebody else in the wings the Jets want to sign.

#457 felker, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  18. GeorgeV

GeorgeV New Member

I think the quick answer to your question is probably that they didn't think he could get to the QB against starting tackles and the evidence was there (first two years in Buff and whatever they saw with us) to back that up.

19. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

This is really the only point that needs to be made. Rex is always preaching about how important it is to play hard in these preseason games and then goes on to cut Maybin who played his ass off over Westerman who did nothing.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

They claimed Mardy Gilyard off waivers today