Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was thinking I was too old to understand so the saying must be from somewhere between my age and JC's age.

2. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Westerman looks the quickest this season, than he has in the past. Jets need SPEED, SPEED, & more SPEEEED>>>>>> on DEFENSE.

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

That's the first time I've heard that referred to as "springs" as well. Hell, it's not even in urban dictionary.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think Maybin is going to be a huge addition for us. He looked unblockable on the edge this preseason as his first step is remarkably fast. Rex has never had a speed rusher here and one would think that he can use Maybin situationally to give opposing OLines another thing to worry about. A speed rusher on the outside could also lead to gaps on the inside. Seems like a great way to attack that 8 man wall the Pats put in front of Brady. Maybin certainly needs coaching (often took too wide of an angle, loses contain, pass coverage, etc.), but he seems to fill the bill for what our defense has lacked.

5. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

To be fair, he looked unblockable against second and third stringers in Buffalo as well.

Until he actually does it in an NFL game against Jake Long or Joe Thomas, it's all potential. And after a couple years, there is no potential, it is what it is. I wanted us to sign him though, and wanted him to make the 53.

6. Rhodes Scholar

Actually, to me, he looked extremely blockable.

He seemed to go down if anybody got a hand on him.

His sacks came from when the QB held the ball long enough for him to loop all the way around the tackle to come up from behind.

His speed is definitely a factor though, and I'm glad we kept him on the team, but he needs a lot of work to become a consistent force.

7. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Unlikely I'm afraid, he has been waived.

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

so long. good thing the experiment ended before it would have gotten ugly.

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

nevermind - deleted!

#429 Mehl-56, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Weird move to waive him this late on and after rex said he played his way into the 53 man squad

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I thought he was safe. Oh well I guess.

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

This is surprising. I thought he had shown enough to make the roster.

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The false hope can be put to bed now.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

well it must be his attitude then rather then his play

15. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

Yeah, I felt the same way. Bummer, thought he could have been a fairly productive situational guy.

16. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

This move makes ZERO sense. Say what you want about who he performed against, it was the only opportunity he was given and showed flashes of being a nice pass rusher. He is still only 23 years old and younger than some rookies from this years draft class!!

Why the hell we decided to keep Payne AND Gilyard on our roster is an absolute joke to me, we do not need 6 wr's and Payne should be IR'd if we liked Gilyard enough to claim him. With Turner due back at some point this season, and two Olineman on our PS, why do we need Caleb AND Colin, two guys who have not been in our camp for one day?

Maybin has definately shown more than Mcintyre IMO and feels our biggest need. There is nothing this team needs more than a speed rusher, and Maybin CLEARLY has the ability to be that in a good defense with talent around him, when that is all he asked to due.

I am hoping that Gilyard after a workout or two is either on the roster and Payne IR'd, Gilyard does not impress and is released, and Maybin will be back, even though this seems unlikely.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Does anyone know if you can cancel an order for a custom jersey from the Jets Shop before it's shipped?

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

^^ bit of an over reaction to the cutting of a guy not likely to be active early on this year...

Also seems to me, the CB we claimed from Dallas, is just brought in as a spy. He will likely not be around after Sept. 11. His spot will open up and we can probably bring back Maybin then, or we can use that as our designated "spy" slot and rotate in a guy cut from each team every week.

19. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

I heard Rex cut Maybin because he heard Ed Wang was available.

20. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

What a stupid move. Now we officially have zero speed pass rushers on the squad.

How can you justify keeping Gholston around for all those years but not even give Maybin - who actually DID record a sack - a fair shot to prove himself? I guess the Jets can't handle so many 'projects' at once.