Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Agreed. Maybin in two weeks did more then Westerman has done in two years. I think too many are raving about his special team play and have failed to consider that REX wants him to be our designated passrusher and he just not got it done so far. A guy like Bellore also played well on our special teams thus making WESTERMAN 's position a bit weaker. Its time to see Maybin play against the big guys. If he can develop even more as gets more comfortable in our scheme, with his speed, LOOK OUT NFL! I also like the Matthias Berning kid. He is tough and quick as we know WESTY can not do it! We needed a passrush last year and he never was called upon to supply it. However I will say that Bellore , Dixon, MTV , Pitotuia and Mauga made the preseason for me. I read elsewhere that McIntyre was told he'd be on the final 53 tonight by Rex.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would also like to see Maybin on the field with some starters. I'm sure the attention that Pace will demand opens things up for Maybin and vice versa. I don't think anyone here is painting him as a stud pass rusher but I think we can mostly agree that he's got potential and we've got nothing to lose unless a veteran pass rusher becomes available.

3. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

I wonder if maybin can cover

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

When Maybin was on the field against the Giants starters he was disruptive. You can't criticise him for only beating 2s and 3s when those are the only real opportunities he's been given.

In any event, making the 53 today is irrelevant, being there next Sunday is the bigger challenge.

5. Wides

Wides Banned

This thread will soon be renamed to, "Jets Never Should Have Signed Aaron Maybin"

6. boxorox

boxorox Banned

More or less he looked like a 1 picking on 2's and 3's. He deserves a shot to see if he can look like a 1 against 1's imo and I think it's a no brainer. There are enough guys heading to make the 53 that aren't really uniquely useful in any way that they can afford to take one big gamble here. Let's not get this twisted...the Jets FO did a logical thing bringing him in here. They wanted to see if they could bring in someone that could get to the passer. He has gotten to the passer and then some. If you're not going to bring him in now...what the hell did you bother for? Not like there's 8 guys that have stepped up as much or more to make you want to give them the spots instead. Just a few guys that probably aren't going to be super useful starters this year. No big loss to lose one of them (if they even get pulled from PS)

7. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

I think this is an amazing point. How many players did we have in the preseason that were just dominating the competition whether it was against the 2nd string guys or 3rd string guys.

Maybin
    Ropati
    Kenrick
    Dixon
    Kerley

That's about it

Whether or not they are doing that against the ones at this point doesn't matter imo because they are atleast a step up against everyone else. Westerman and Wilkerson have yet to show this against backups and thus I dont think should be playing against the 1's.

I think this is what upsets rex about McKnight... Although our backup o line is terrible he hasnt shown any flashes this offseason. I'd rather pick up my boy Da'rel Scott. LETS GO TERPS!!!!

#407 inSANITy, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I hope we can keep Maybin, to me, he has more upside than Westerman.

9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Kentucky Jet,

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking, when looking at ST play we might punt the ball 5 times a game along with 1 kickoff. For 6 plays a game Westerman is not worth a roster slot when comparing what he has done to Maybin up to this point. Yeah Maybin might run a 1/2 mile until he finally gets to the QB but he has this preseason. Considering the guy has been around for 2-3 weeks and has 3.5 sacks this preseason sounds promising. Let him take Taylor old role on this team and let Bellore or McIntyre take Westermans role. Westerman has really not shown a pass rush ability the last two years.

10. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

McKnight has shown pleanty this off-season. Prior to that game against Philly he was doing very well and caught REX's eye. I see your post as just piling on based on being biased and misinformed. Please tell us which running back could have run well behind that OL against Philly. With no holes and blown assignments I doubt EMERSON BOOZER, "your boy" Da'rel Scott or Barry Sanders could have run behind that OL. Honesty is always the best policy! LOL

and to your list of Jets who stood out I would add: Bellore and Mauga

I would delete K. Ellis and add MTV and quite possibly Behring. Conley has punted very well and has been pretty consistent. McElroy for a young QB played pertty well too. Logan Payne did well on the specials. just saying....

#410 Kentucky Jet, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  11. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

Jeff Cumberland...just saying guy lit it up this pre season and i havent heard much about it.

12. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

Well. He made the 53, what are the odds he'll be there opening day? I'm kind of hoping he gets a shot.

13. BillOReilly

BillOReilly New Member

Cut him now. His only future is being a 3rd string DL in the CFL.

14. LordFavre

LordFavre New Member

CUT HIS ASS!!!! We don't need the Jills leftovers.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Maybin walks around with more springs than a guido at an LI club.

That said, dueche or not, we need some sort of pass rush spark. I like the way he gets off the ball. Has to watch how deep he gets (ie, 10 yds past the QB isn't going to cut it). Worth a further look simply due to lack of alternatives. I was hoping for much more than i saw from Westerman this preseason.

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I have no idea what this means.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, either you're young, or have never been around a guido club.

Springs is when walk around like you are too big to put your arms down all the way to your sides.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Oh, interesting. I've seen plenty of those guys, I just never knew it was called "springs."

[​IMG]

19. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Bellore was fairly dominant against 2s and 3s and Berning was against the 3s

20. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

Maybin got the tag "bust" by the fans because they believe the highest draft pick will magically transform their team. The real problem is Ralph Wilson and his low paid coaching carousel. Five coaches since 2001 and three while Maybin was there. An obsession with finding the next Jim Kelly hasn't helped either. The best Bills players hit free agency and depart. The combination results in almost no consistency in a playbook or coaching philosophies and little room for mentoring young players.

In essence this is almost a rookie year for Maybin, making the team now allows the coaches to work with him and make improvements. A few times of getting himself on tape near the quarterback will make our defense even more difficult to prepare for.