Old Man Joe says...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Aug 30, 2011.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

but but but...... he's old...... and drunk....... and said not nice things about the JETS.

yeah, alot can be said about ole joe as the years have past, but he said nothing off the mark about this (apparently many others shared his sentiment about Edwards).

If you don't think the JETS PR staff parades their lone hero, and that he's asked all these questions you're fooling yourself.

No, his opinion really doesn't matter anymore, but it's humorous to see you guys get your panties in a wad ........

about the 49ers reference; they had this other guy named Steve Young that also won a championship after Montana left.
    The JETS still haven't won shit since........ unfortunately :drunk::sad::jets:

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

LOL.. WTF?????

A lot of Joe people in here are missing the point. It has NOTHING to do with his comments about Burress...NOTHING. It has to do with ALL his comments about anything.. THEY ARE WORTHLESS....

Where was this guy when Coslett was here... Where was this guy when Kotite was here... You know what If Joe was talking then and "Telling the Truth" back then when a lot of people NEEDED the truth, he might have some credibility with me.....

But, at this point, there's not a damn thing Joe says that I don't know already in spades... To me, when he's on the radio he's unlistenable.... I'd much rather listen to Jon Gruden or anyone else in touch with the game....

And I respect what he did when I was 2... I respect people getting old... But, as a FOOTBALL FAN, If I'm going to listen to someone I'd like to hear some cutting edge real stuff not, Obvious ramblings that anyone can spew out but, just because it's Joe we're supposed to bow to his knowledge.

I turn the station. I'd rather listen to whatever song is on the radio or even Francessa.

But, enjoy living the life Joe lived, I guess. you're right, I'll never experience that....lol

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

well said.

The Jets are finally contenders again, and all of sudden here comes Namath from out of the shadows to fight for a share of the spotlight.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

YOu don't agree with what he said. BFD. Get over it.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Where was Joe when We as Jets fans SUFFERED.....

Where were his comments then.... He could have said anything back then and we all would have gotten 1000% behind him to try to change the culture of the organization...

THEN, Joe could have put everything on his back like he once did and he could have been in the hearts of those of us old enough to suffer through a ton of bad Football but, young enough to have never seen him in action.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

a valid point indeed.

7. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Wrong. I totally agree with what he said... Problem is, I said it before the Jets signed him... Once again Joe is late to the party with worthless info.

Nothing to get over.. Just expessing some opinions on a message board....

But, again, since you seem to keep missing it, it has nothing to do with what he said in one instance.... honestly I'm so over it I don't even listen to Joe any more... His voice bugs the heck out of me and the content is absolutely worthless.....

If there was any value at listening to Joe at all it would be for nostalgia like listening to Greg Nettles or Ron Guidry or Muhamed Ali..... But, i don't need these guys telling my franchise now what to do and I don't need these guys on a weekly time slot.....

Guidry was a Sports hero in my lifetime but, if he babbled worthless baseball information, I'd shut him down down too unless that's what I enjoyed... Me, i like to listen to and read intelligent modern football talk....

if Joe wants to talk about Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll side of Foobtball, I'll pull up a seat.....I just read Keith Richards book and it was great. Lets hear the real Joe Stories.

We needed Joe in the 80's.... This franchise has already taken the step up and hear comes old Joe with wisdom.... please.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

the stupidity of the so called jets fans in criticizing Joe is embarrassing. First of all what he said was actually 100% valid. Secondly he is SUPER BOWL CHAMPION SUPER BOWL MVP HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACK who (oh BTW) was and is a MAJOR NFL CELEBRITY. He is also a recovering alcoholic who has not had a drink in over 7 yrs.

Give the man his Respect, he has certainly walked the walk.

9. Namathian

Namathian New Member

Too many spoiled kids on the board...don't know what it meant to bleed green through the hard decades...don't know what it meant to at least have Broadway Joe and his Jets to cling to during that time.
    If it wasn't for Joe, the Jets may well have sucked enough to get moved to Florida way back when.
    So do me a favor kids:
    Hate on Joe all you want and talk Tampa Bay Jets.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

where was Joe's opinion during the Kotite/Coslet regimes?

thanks for playing.

11. Namathian

Namathian New Member

Where was Joe's opinion? On the sports channels and the internet of course. What's that...those barely existed back then??

Played.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

oh...communication and opinions began with the inception of the internet.

how silly of me.

13. Namathian

Namathian New Member

Yeah communication existed back then: via NBC, CBS, ABC or U.S. Mail.
    Since Joe wasn't on the networks, I guess the letter he sent you must've got lost.

Played again.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

what the fuck are you talking about?

Joe could've voiced his opinion in a variety of different ways back then, but he didn't, because the team was awful during that time.

I respect Joe, but he doesn't need to be at the forefront of the franchise. This is about Rex, Sanchez and the rest of the 2011 NY Jets. Thanks for the memories, Joe...but this isn't about you anymore.

That's not a sign of disrespect...it's reality.

15. Namathian

Namathian New Member

And the most clueless of all cite stuff like Namath's TD/INT ratios and Completion Percentages in comparison to modern day QB stats. :rofl:

The funniest part is that they are making complete fools of themselves and they don't even realize it!

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Namath was a god back then...nobody is denying his success or what he's done for this franchise.

But that was 4 decades ago. It's time to move on.

17. Namathian

Namathian New Member

I agree. Been time to move on for 35 years now...and damn don't I know it.
    No need for some to spit on Broadway Joe though.

No need at all. It's wrong. You'll never see a Yankees fan spit on their legends (and some of those drank heavily and said outrageous stuff).

Lay off of Joe.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

nobody is spitting on Joe....we just don't need him sticking his nose in front of a camera every time something happens with the Jets. Enough already.

The point being made is....now that the Jets are perennial contenders, Joe is everywhere. Where was he for the lean years? He didn't have any sage advice to share back then?

EDIT: I'm not saying he should disappear, the man is an ambassador to this franchise......just tone it down a bit.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

this is pretty accurate

20. Namathian

Namathian New Member

Joe has been at tons of Jets events in the past 30 years.
    20 years ago though, you didn't have the digital cams, iphones, and internet to record anything. Heck, there were a bunch of polaroid cameras and two or three reporters with pencil and paper...the sophisticated one may have had a tape recorder, and there was NO way that any of them would print anything remotely controversial.