Current Jets 53-Man Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WW85, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

He's not getting cut. The reports already came out on that, but it seemed pretty clear he'd make the roster before that. I thought he had an edge after the first PS game, but as Cato (I think) pointed out, it would come down to ST value. That's where he earned his roster spot over guys like Lankster.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, Lankster looked better on ST than he did in coverage. He was flat out bad last night minus the pick-6. I do agree though, as much as I'm sure Rex loves Bellore, I bet Westy had a say in it.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We can agree to disagree.

Lankster looked solid on teams to me.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

At this point it's fair to wonder wether Cook or maybe even Trufant make the final 53... has Trufant done anything on ST last year?

5. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Some random roster thoughts:

WR
    I can't see Turner making the roster. I don't think he deserves even the PS, much less the roster. Then again, I can't see keeping only 4 WRs even though the Jets have Keller and Cumberland who could function as receivers, and even J. McKnight who could play slot WR. With Plax coming off not playing for two years, his injury history, and both his and Mason's age, that just doesn't make sense to me. Then there's the fact that Kerley is a rookie. None of the other WRs they have cut could contribute if called up. I think there's a chance they keep Payne on the roster because of his STs play, and hope he makes it back sooner than they expected.

OL
    I think Rob Turner should go on IR. He's gonna miss over half the season, and while versatile, isn't all that good. I think they should look to sign at least one vet if not two to provide reliable solid depth, even if they wait until after the first game of the season. While Ducasse has improved, I still don't think he's a reliable backup. I'm torn on Felix. He's the only one that can backup Mangold, and I believe he can play OG too. They possibly could stash him on the PS if he's eligible. Kroul doesn't deserve to make the roster imo even though he's shown some ability. Hopefully, they can stash him on the PS.

DL
    I like Gilbert, but can't see how he can stick on the roster. There's just too much other young talent on the DL and at other positions. I think he'll get signed in a NY minute by someone else. I'm not sure Teveseau deserves to make the roster, either, considering the way he has gotten pushed around the last 2 preseason games, but I think the Jets like him and have him ahead of Ellis, so I'm sure he sticks.

LB
    I just can't see Berning making the squad based on his play in games. If he makes it, he has lit it up in practice, yet gone unnoticed by the media. I especially can't see his making it over Bellore or McIntyre. I think Maybin deserves a shot. He has speed that none of our other LBers have. Let Rex and the CS work with him for at least a month or two and see if he can develop. Satele just doesn't have it. He should stick to his pizza shop. I hope the Jets won't waste a spot on the PS on him.

DB
    We all know that Rex has a Jones for DBs, but imo he has to get over that if this team is going to take the next step forward. I think he has ignored the LB positions for too long and been overconfident in what Westermann and the others can do. Further, I don't think that Trufant, Lankster or Cook (the only 3 DBs worth considering) deserve a roster spot over Bellore, McIntyre or Maybin. I see that Lankster has been cut. Good. I think Cook & Trufant should be too.

The guys who I think have a shot at the PS:

Robby Felix (if he doesn't make the roster)
    Josh Baker
    Eddie Jones
    Matt Kroul
    Trevor Canfield
    Dan DePalma
    Matthias Berning
    Scotty McKnight
    Michael Campbell?
    Drew Willy?
    S from another team

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) Whoa... my sig doesn't agree with you! Kidding aside I think you're underestimating R Turner a little bit here... he's a damn good contributor on jumbo packages and can get the job done pretty well at C or G.
    In other teams he would be a starter and we're lucky to have him as a backup.
    I like the idea of not putting him on IR as down the road he can become very useful (also not knowing if Moore is 100%).

2) Tevaseu got pushed around pretty bad vs the Giants (although Baas is a mean run blocker). That said the CS is high on him and Pouha is not 100% so I'm cool with him making the roster in front of Gilbert. We also have a lot of young players at DE so Gilbert would be more of a luxury than a necessity.

7. boxorox

boxorox Banned

I fully agree on Turner. He makes our team best possible for the playoffs and that matters a lot.

We do need to go 4 wr to start I think. If we're keeping all the Lb's around (and even cook) we can take them out of the lineup as more interesting guys at O line and WR become available.

I think there are a lot of redundancies at LB and even Tevaseau...we have a lot of talent, we want to protect it. Sure. The problem is that Maybin may offer something that almost nobody on the team does...I think he has to end up with preference on whoever the bottom LB on the totem pole (or Cook/tevaseu) is until he proves he can't do anything for us.

#107 boxorox, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The reason you don't IR Turner is that they're building a team to win in January, not just September.

9. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

There is no way Berning makes this team for 3 reasons

1. We aren't keeping 5 mlbs. Especially when a guy like westerman can play the position if 3 of our lbs go out.
    2. To my knowledge Berning didnt make any plays outside of the last game. (not saying he didnt play great, but one game isnt giving you a roster spot, especially against phillys 3's)
    3. Berning will clear Waivers.

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Good night, sweet prince.

[youtube]3_WxcNirNDM[/youtube]

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Interesting...they had no problem cutting 16 or 17 players yesterday but couldn't figure out who the last 9 were. They didn't practice and I am sure they have looked at enough film to know who they want to keep and who they don't. Only thing I can think of is they are looking at other teams cuts to see what position they can afford to dump and what they feel they may need to keep. In any event the last few names from every team will be fun to watch today.

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Why Felix? Wilson, mcIntyre are going to be Jets.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Tracey Wilson, not Kyle.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

To my knowledge, you haven't watched this kid in practice. If the coaching staff decides to keep him, it's not just because he had an excellent last game of the preseason.

I'll trust the scouting department, coaching staff, and front office on these moves.

15. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I still say you keep Maybin, he has shown in 3 weeks what we havent had in a longtime. He has the ability to rush the QB something that Westerman has not been able to accomplish in 2 years. As I have stated in another thread let him take Taylors role from last year, he has that ability in this defense.

16. Kentucky Jet

Turner is a good player but far from being a starter for us or any other team. His over-aggressive personality limits him and his value to a team. he gets too many penalties in the short amount of playing time he receives. It is quite possible Felix will learn other positions and prove to be a far better center then Turner. Turner is a natural OG and Felix is a natural center. If Turner comes back by mid-season he will not be in football shape. It will take him until the end of the season to be ready to play at a high level. I'd IR him rather then lose a young promising player like Maybin or u name it.

MYV is a young NT and just learning the position. it takes time to develop a young guy at NT. He played very decently against the Giants strong DL. At this time he is on an equal footing with K. Ellis and is a lot cheaper. He gives us the luxury of a future trade of Pouha to a team in need of a NT. We will have two young ones in Ellis and MTV.

17. Kentucky Jet

Got it. Thanks. My biggest concern is Maybin. I am loving the sacks and pressures he brings!

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It definitely looks like he has more drive than Gholston ever did. I would like to think it would translate over to the regular season too.

19. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I understand that, but who knows how effective Turner will be after missing all that time. He's good, just not as good as some here try to make him out. For instance, I don't think he would start anywhere in the league. He has improved and is pretty good, but isn't that good. I think they could possibly sign a veteran who would be better. It would be costly, but they could sign Gurode, Davis (if he has anything left), or another experienced vet.

20. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I totally agree. I just don't see Turner bringing much to the table this season over another player, be it a vet OL the Jets bring in, or a young D prospect they don't want to lose.