Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

im not sure if i like Maybin, he showboats after every little thing he does.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

fixed your post

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Me not want no showboatin'

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm sure a lot of that comes from being considered an epic bust. Trying to feel good about himself.

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If it comes down to keeping 2 of 3, Bellore, Westerman, and Maybin, the Jets let Maybin go. He looked okay in pre-season, but the other 2 have a lot more potential imo.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It comes from completing your assignment and making a play in front of 80,000 people.

How in the hell can anyone keep that excitement hidden?

They can celebrate after the play, because out of 60 snaps, they might be able to make a big play on 4 of them.

That's something most people don't understand.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree. Maybin relies on running past the Tackle and getting to the QB. He has one move, and he's off balance constantly.

Its a house of cards with his production.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Aaron Maybin has way more potential than either of them. Athletically, he's miles ahead of both of those players.

Jamaal Westerman is a hell of a special teamer and Ryan likes his potential as a pass rusher. He'll make the team.

Nick Bellore has reportedly made the team. He's an inside backer, so he's not competing with Maybin for a roster spot. Hard work can go a long way in this league - this kid and Josh Mauga have the ability to replace Bart Scott in the near future.

Garrett McIntyre vs. Aaron Maybin is what it will come down to.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Pass rushing isn't like speed or height - it can be taught. He can learn how to get after the quarterback.

You can't teach the quickness of his first step.

10. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Please explain. Westerman has been here for a long time and knows the system. He did zilch this preseason. maybin has been here three weeks and has 3 sacks and many pressures. Bellore is a MLB! McIntyre is the other OLB under consideration and too has show more then Westerman in this preseason despite only being here since February , 2011. IMO Westerman should be cut! He will amount to nothing!

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Westerman is a cheap, developmental prospect that this staff has faith in.

You're underrating him as a special teamer - that's where we're going to get something out of him. He won't get many defensive reps behind Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas.

12. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I am assuming McIntyre is making the team because everything I have read says Rex likes him a lot.

And, while Maybin has talent, it's hard to get too excited about him based on what he has done in Buffalo. And he hasnt been that stellar in pre-season.

Westerman is a stud on special teams and a good back-up. He is what he is.

As for Bellore, I think Bellore can be the linebacking version of DeVito who has become a stud for us. A guy who will work hard, and one day start for this team and be a very solid linebackers. Rex loves guys like him, Jimmy, DeVito, Pouha, Scott, etc... Guys who might not be the best athletes, but who work hard, give it their all on every play, and take pressure off the other guys so they can make plays.

13. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Thats the point, Westerman knows the system. Great special teams player who you know Westhoff is fighting to keep. A solid back-up, who Rex knows and trusts. So, there is no voice to cut him when decisions are made.

Also, I dont take pre-season seriously. It is a joke. I prefer to look at what a guy does in the regular season when all 22 guys on the field give a shit, and all the players deserve to be out there.

Which brings us to Maybin. When playing against other pros in regular season games, he has looked awful. So, a few sacks against 2nd and 3rd stringers means little to me. If there is room, and rex wants to go with 9 lb's, he should make the team. But, if it means letting a guy like Bellore go, who is still a lb despite being an ILB, Maybin should get cut.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Rex liked Vernon Gholston a lot too.

I've learned to not read into anything that Rex Ryan says about his players.

I'm a big fan of Garrett McIntyre, but Maybin is a superior talent.

He has 3 sacks and he's only been in this defense for two weeks. He's done all of this with limited reps, while also being surrounded by third stringers and camp fodder.

Westerman is a very good special teamer, but he's an unknown as a backup in this defense. He's done close-to-nothing as an outside linebacker on this squad.

There's promise there though.

I'm also a big supporter of guys like Nick Bellore. He was a hell of a backer in college and when he signed him, I knew he'd have a shot. Manish Mehta reported earlier this afternoon that he'll be on the 53 man roster and deservedly so.

Mike DeVito got a shot on defense because for some reason, the front office failed to upgrade the defensive line for multiple off-seasons. I'm glad he made the most of his opportunity.

The same could happen for Bellore if Scott starts to wear down. I feel like Bellore would be better in David Harris' role though. He's always been a tackling machine. He could potentially become that battering ram type like Scott though. You can't coach the type of toughness that kid plays with.

Like I said, Bellore's always been the focal point of his defense. He's always been the leader and a driving force. If he can learn to play Scott's role, I'm all for it.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

That s the biggest thing about Bart's role. It takes a gigantic set of balls to consistently batter olineman like that. If the kid has that type of toughness, let him at it. That job isn't for anybody. More to the point you have to be a fucking lunatic.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

on any given snap Maybin gets re-directed more than a Lucas flick.

the only time he sniffs the qb is when he literally runs a half circle in the backfield to catch people from behind.

hes got an insane burst off the line but its like watching an armless player rush the passer.

anyways, hes worth keeping for at least 1 yr to see if anything can come of it.

itll be interesting to see if they give him a shot

the potential alone is intriguing

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I've been talking about Arizona State inside linebacker Vontaze Burfict for a few years now.

The kid is borderline insane. He plays with the type of reckless abandon that Bart Scott plays with.

If Scott were a few years older, he'd be the perfect replacement. However, if we can find someone in house like Josh Mauga or Nick Bellore, then props to the scouting department.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I can't imagine cutting Maybin. I know he's on the bubble, and I know Westerman and McIntyre have done well. Westerman is a lock. But I can't imagine how we could keep 2 punters, 4 QBs, and 4 TEs over the years, and not be willing to take a chance on a guy

If you want to keep McIntyre, that's fine, keep all 3 guys. But I really want to see us give Maybin a chance.

19. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Sounds like McIntyre made the club, Maybin will probably be cut.

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

A lot of teams will be looking at what LBs we cut, we are very deep and a lot of good young prospects.

I do like what Mabin has done in his little time with the Jets.