Sanchez's Career vs Top QB's 1st Two Seasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

This is my whole summation of Mr. Sanchez in a nutshell. TYVM

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

It's becoming clear that for this team to take that next step, it would help them greatly to get a 1st round bye and home field advantage in the playoffs...so his regular season numbers HAVE to improve.

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

His receivers might be part of the problem but I'd really like to see Sanchez to start trying to work his way down the field rather than relying on defense/special teams to set him up with great field position. With the new kickoff rules, most drives are going to start around the 20 yard line. I'm getting sick of Sanchez throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down and walking off the field with a passive look on his face. Got to start taking shots down the field on 1st and 2nd down.

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

So far in the pre-season Sanchez has a 60.5% completion rate, and that's unlikely to change much now.

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

People really need to take it easy with the win's argument. Literally every starting qb in the NFL could have won as many, if not more, games with the defense, offensive line, and weapons that Sanchez had.

Josh Freeman would give anything to have this much talent. And some pretend that Sanchez is the reason for all those wins.

Just like Big Ben had next to nothing to do with the Steelers winning in his first few seasons, that is the case with Sanchez.

6. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

What was his completion rate last pre-season?

7. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

No idea. I do remember him throwing at least a couple of picks last year, so on that alone you can say that this pre-season is a significant upgrade.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

A 60.5% completion rate really is not all that impressive in the preseason (look around the NFL).

9. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I have no idea how to read Sanchez. Last year, I thought he'd struggle early and then put it together as the season wore on. He did the exact opposite.

It just seems that he presses too much and whatever he has going on in his head completely fucks with his game.

He just never looks comfortable outside of a two or three game stretch.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

+1 exactly ive said that numerous times.

the thing i hate hearing is this oh dont worry it will fix itself attitude from some people as if playoff berths are guaranteed.

this defense has carried us to the playoffs two years in a row.

and aside from them blowing that lead to the 2nd half vs the colts in 09 and the 1st half vs steelers in 10 , sanchez simply playing pretty good gets elevated to "he played lights out"

i love seeing the clutch plays when it matters, but hes going to have to play unquestionably good for us to do anything other than dream of a SB appearance.

11. MyFavoriteMartin

MyFavoriteMartin New Member

Yes, it would be great if Mark improves, but I think it has more to do with our style of offense that puts us at a disadvantage when it comes to winning the division. To be honest, the Pats' explosive style offense gives most defenses in this league fits, so they're designed better for the regular season than the Jets. It's always going to be very challenging for the Jets to get a better record unfortunately.

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol i disagree.

if mark were throwing for more yardage more tds and less INT's then it would open up the run game immensely therefore making the whole offense more effective tenfold.

some will blame everything on schotty and he should shoulder some of the blame.

but theres no deflecting from the fact Sanchez HAS to play better and become more consistent for this team to do jack shit other than becoming this decades version of the early 90's bills and the late 90's early 00's eagles

13. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Playing a home playoff game in this division is really expensive... the Pats are still coming with almost perfect seasons, so it's totally unfair to put it on Sanchez' shoulders that we haven't played a home playoff game...

There's been several games this past 2 years when the defense has cost us the game, not Sanchez. So I don't agree completely with that line that makes it sound like the defense has done no evil and Sanchez hasn't won a game despite of the defense.

Coupling this to the previous part, not playing a home playoff game is both on the Offense (not only Sanchez) and the Defense.

it's not lights out, but... for instance, didn't you feel like if he has had the ball one more drive against the Steelers we had won that game?
    When he's on the game playing comfortable (usually in clutch time, but not only then), he looks like a top QB.
    He's had games when he's looked unquestionably good for us.
    So we know he can play like that.
    He's problem is that he's inconsistent.

The "it will fix itself" usually has a background:
    If he has shown that he can play good and that his problem is inconsistency, and considering he's only played 3 seasons as a starter QB after High School, then it's fair to assume that his problem is based on inexperience.
    So, some of us think that his problem is inexperience. Not something else.

Saying that "inexperience will fix itself", sounds fair.

#153 Trifco, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  14. mangoldman

mangoldman Member

So if the consensus is that Mark needs to become an elite passer then what do we know is being done about it?

does he have the physical tools? Seems so

does he have the mental tools? Well certainly hes a bright individual. A solid leader and competitor.

What remains to be seen is if his brain can handle those quick thinking, cognitive decision making abilities that allow to correctly read the defense, look off receivers and then after all that make a throw accurately. all in the midst of a mere second or two.
    This is simply not a trait that every human being has. And if we can say at some point soon that he does not have this trait then we definitely need to move on from Mark.
    As much as I hate to admit it, it feels more and more each year that if you truly want to win the big one the man behind center has to be special.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He needs one more road playoff win to be the all time NFL QB leader for road playoff wins. He is 4-2 in NFL Playoffs in his first 2 seasons. I wonder how that compares to other QBs in their first 2 seasons in the NFL?

As for those that think he can't get better - I think you're wrong. As a PP pointed out, his rookie season, from a QB developmental perspective was essentially his senior yr of college, he really began to look much better towards the middle and end of last season and he has really progressed as a field general/team leader. I think he is going to continue to improve in all facets of the game and I think he's going to win the AFC Championship and the SB. The notion that he has hit the ceiling is unsupported by the evidence - I think he's going to have his best season yet this year.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i dont hear the ravens or steelers complaining about how tough their division is.

the pats benefited from brady's ungodly and uncommon pass att to INT ratio last yr and made teams play from behind early for a good portion of the year.

and if sanchez was playing at a high level 14-2 wouldnt be out of the question for us.

im not saying the defense has done no evil. but theyve carried this team and to say otherwise would be ignorant.

for all those clutch plays that sanchez made to help us win, it was in low scoring games which the defense held the other team in check. and we made 1 play in an otherwise anemic performance in those games to rise above.

and lets not act like the browns game was because of sanchez. that was all holmes on that last play.

for every good throw sanchez has that a target drops he has 2 plays where he makes a bad read or an errant throw.

i

we didnt have the ball for one more drive. im not giving him credit for a non existant drive based off of the good 2nd half he had

he obviously hasnt had enough games where hes been unquestionably good. otherwise this debate isnt even going on

nobodies mentioning inexperience, i never said inexperience cant be fixed. im talking about missing open recievers, you cant afford to do that in the nfl. the margin for error is almost non existant. especially on a team that runs as much as we do.

its fair to assume his problem is inexperience?

thats a minor fraction, that argument holds no water anymore. the kid has enough experience.

im not condeming him, im just saying he HAS to step up. i think people are falling in love with mark sanchez the person and overlooking the player.

if sanchez didnt put together some pretty good playoff performances a good amount of people would be screaming bust.

like i said I have all the faith in the world in him, but its time to see it instead of counting on it.

ive gone off in detail about this earlier in the thread and Abyz put it best

"we didnt trade up to number 5 to draft doug flutie. sanchez is supposed to be competing with the elite tier of quarterbacks."

ill put it this way, with this defense, if sanchez took his game to the next level, we would be blowing out most teams we play. plain and simple.

yet somehow we end up in nailbiters where were praying to score 17 or 20 points.

like i said this isnt all sanchez but for all the bad plays we overlook due to lack of experience, those are the plays a championship caliber qb makes.

so all im saying is i want to see playoff sanchez in the regular season, this yr. otherwise im not sold on him.

and ill be damned if i smile and watch us go through Chad Pennington 2.0

#156 Coach K, Aug 31, 2011
  17. boxorox

boxorox Banned

I really don't understand all of the people that are ready to just "start going in another direction" if Sanchez doesn't adhere to whatever random performance results that you expect to see from him this year. We are married to Mark Sanchez. Unless you think you're going to throw 7th round backup throwaway pick McElroy in there and expect Tom Brady 2.0 to show up....what exactly are you proposing? Dumping Sanchez early will destroy the entire salary structure on the team...in the meantime where is it exactly that you're planning to get mr. right now champion from? Do you think they grow on trees or something? Yeah let's just trade for Peyton...maybe give up Revis and Harris and Tone for him...no biggie. God why didn't everyone else think of this and win the Super Bowl? Hey just trade up for another top pick QB. Shit if that one doesn't win the Super Bowl in year one let's just dump him too and try again!

You're just sitting here like oh no big deal if he doesn't pan out we'll just figure out someone else. If he doesn't pan out we're fucked forever. This team is built for the next 5 years and he is the only man in sight that can get the job done for us. Grow up. He's at a huge disadvantage age and experience wise over all of his elite counterparts at this stage in their pro careers. He has shown flashes of greatness. He needs to improve consistency. Sit down, shut up, buckle in and pray that he keeps coming along. Any other position to have is retarded and useless, sorry to be the bearer of the truth in your forum fantasy land.

#157 boxorox, Aug 31, 2011
  18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

dunno who this is directed at, but if its me i never said pull the plug after this yr if he doesnt show marked improvement.

im saying if i dont see at least a jump in performance in the regular season, my faith in him to fulfill what he was drafted to do will definitely be shaken.

not that my opinion is important or means anything particular

so, you say we stick with him for the next 5 yrs no matter what?

im not trying to put words in your mouth, im just asking because thats what you said.

but if your "truth" is to give any QB 7 yrs to prove himself, i think thats as ignorant as the people suggesting we cut ties after this year.

based off of what? the fact its hard to find a franchise qb?

that scared attitude doesnt get anything accomplished in the nfl.

theres a reason rodgers sat so long, cause the packers thought they found their guy. point being, if you feel you you see your guy, you pull the trigger. exactly why sanchez was brought in.

whos to say if 2 yrs from now sanchez hasnt progressed much that we dont invest a pick in someone else?

i think sanchez will step up, but you can only wait so long. and 7 yrs is a bit long for anyone to be given.

4, maybe even 5. but 7? no thanks.

i think its fair to say Sanchez will prove to be exactly what he is within the next 2 yrs.

im willing to bet its a good qb, but people playing devils advocate and not clinging to his playoff performances shouldnt be condemned.

that being said, yes anyone who thinks the jets should sever ties if he doesnt step up this year, thats an overreaction

19. boxorox

boxorox Banned

My post was inspired from yours somewhat but I see a pretty good percentage of people on here that doubt Sanchez to the point of getting ready to look elsewhere if this year or next at the latest doesn't meet expectations. I mean he has only led us to 2 straight afc championship games and was a few early tackles from the superbowl last year. It's kind of like the trailer for some random comedy I saw a few months back. Guy from the Apatow movies shouts at kid "7 RINGS, THAT IS WHY LEBRON WILL NEVER BE JORDAN!!". Kid asks if that's the only point that he's going to use. Guy says "IT'S THE ONLY ONE I NEED!!!!".

I don't think there's any reason in the world to doubt that Sanchez is going to be a solid upper tier quarterback considering all the circumstances. Doesn't mean he has to be the greatest of his generation or anything but why all the useless doubts and hate (people in general, and some extrapolations from your post included). He's our future and we're tied to him. I'm very happy about that fact from where I sit. Obviously things can change based on long term performance problems or injury...but I have no reason to believe either will happen right now, (or is at least any more likely to happen to Sanchez than any other developing prospect).

As to 5 years...first of all I'll say if he leads us to 5 straight playoff runs from here on out he can be completing 3% of his passes for all I care. So to make some broad statement like that doesn't seem too pertinent. But if you're saying...continued inconsistency, failure to mature...and the wins go away: obviously we'd have to start looking for a trade or draft pick in his 5th or 6th season even if it takes a year or two to develop someone and he get the full 7 years before he gets the boot for fresh blood. It's not important to even worry about, it's a far cry from becoming a reality so I'm not going to make random speculations about which year to can him in this absurd alter universe where the team would actually want to do that.

My point was that if that does in fact come to pass, our whole SB run will be screwed over and it's not going to matter what we do. There will be no good solution other than continually developing and retaining talent which is hard to do in this league. Adding on a theoretically catastrophic QB debacle combined with an equally expensive search for a replacement, not likely that we'll be able to get anything done without rebuilding years.

So what? To think we're going to need to replace him is crazy. He's either going to develop into a decent nfl quarterback, a good one, or something better than that in all likelihood. He isn't going to be some huge bustout, why would people think that? He has already accomplished more in 2 years than any bust could in their career. As a child for god's sake. I think I'd be picking even sophomore Sanchez over Jamarcus Russel's and several others from the past couple years. He wasn't close to the worst starting quarterback in the league as an underaged and underexperienced 2nd year player. What could possibly make you think he's not going to mature into a top 15 quarterback? Nothing. If you have at least an average nfl starting qb who is young and signed to a multiyear deal trying to upgrade is a truly obscene thought.

The organization has made great move after great move for several years now and put us in play for years to come with their excellent choices, show some faith in their biggest investment of all....Mark Sanchez.

They've been building this team right along for next year and the year after that, as obscene as it is to say that considering the kind of talent that has been here but it's true. We just added so much young depth in key areas this offseason it's scary to think about this same team next year with a couple new faces at WR and not much else. These will be the very same years that Sanchez will hit maturity. I like our chances a lot this year...but I like them even more for next year. Sanchez is the biggest reason for that.

And when Brady quietly disappears from the world in 3 years...guess what The youthful and same core Jets get the QB advantage over the totally deconstructed Patriots. Watch out world. There are a lot of aging dynasties in the AFC and we're poised to step up and fill that role.

#159 boxorox, Aug 31, 2011
  20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sanchez has a trio of receivers this year that is at least as good as any of the others had in the OP in their first two years. He may very well have a better OL than any of them. What he does this year will be very telling of what kind of QB he will be (not withstanding Schotty's play calling)