Thoughts on NYG/NYJ game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cellar-door, Aug 29, 2011.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The OC is good, the QB is good, we have the weapons. Our O is going to be very good this year.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Schotty is a QB killer.

It is VERY rare for a QB to throw for 300 yards under him.

Brett Friggin Favre did not have ONE 300 yard game under Schotty, yet a year later he had 6 300 games + one in the postseason, one of those 300 yard games was 8 yards away from being a 400 yard game.

I know it's completely different systems but that's exactly the point. Sanchez is not handcuffing Schotty at all, if anything it's the complete opposite.

3. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

I just wanted to mention, I was almost shocked when Sanchez hit Holmes *in the back of the head* with the football on one of the crossing routes, His accuracy seems quite a bit better this year.

4. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

sanchez needs a Zanex before the game b/c he seems to anxious in the
    1st half.

5. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

good job by mo sticking up for himself against that punk douchebag brandon jacobs

6. nyjunc

Favre came to us a month before the season in a new system for the first time in over a decade and he sabotaged our season(thankfully looking back). fave would have had plenty of 300 yd games if he wasn't busy throwing balls up for grabs every week.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yup that was it, I agree 100%

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Don't forget the success Pennington had the year after he left here in Miami. I'm pretty sure he finished 2nd in MVP voting.

On paper we upgraded the position from Chad to Favre, but Chad had the much better season on a team with worse weapons, since he didn't have Shotty running his offense.. coincidence?

9. Calikid

Calikid New Member

Sorry that you don't like what I'm posting. I do try to contribute, other wise I won't post. While I've been to many NFL stadiums, I've never been to Giants Stadium so forgive my ignorance about the fans.

10. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Not really adding much to the discussion, I thought most of the game was unwtchable (Sanchez in the post-game talked about "just keep moving the chains" When did we do that, didn't we only have like one first down the whole first half?)

No, just here to say, this is my 4200 post, and that's close enough to 420 for me, so let's go home, smoke a bowl, and celebrate!

11. nyjunc

the coincidence is Chad was finally healthy.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

It's hard to blame Schotty for Pennington and Favre unless you're trying to say hes the reason their arms fell apart under him. 300 yard passing games for this offense shouldn't be necessary with this offense anyway. We use a more balance attack with a strong run game and if we are throwing for 300 yards it means we are probably struggling to run the ball. Im more concerned about Sanchez completion % than total yards.

13. No, it's always easy for some to blame Schotty. I think Irene was his fault, from what I have read.

14. Ten

Ten Active Member

I've watched up to the point where our starters got pulled.My thoughts:

• It was good to see Brandon Moore back in.Our interior line moved the line of scrimmage quite nicely
    • I thought Wayne Hunter had a bad game,penalty aside he got beat bad on one pass play and had a few whiffed blocks on running plays.
    • Dustin Keller's blocking also caused a few plays to be blown up
    • I thought David Harris had another excellent game.Possible pro bowl year if he carries this form into the regular season
    • Despite the rough looking stats,I thought Sanchez done not too bad.He was pretty smart with the ball,didn't force throws that could of resulted in picks.Although I did feel he locked onto receivers on the odd play or two
    • Not the greatest nights for the receivers.It felt like they couldn't get open.Although the play calling looked like typical pre-season let's not give anything away so not the end of the world
    • Pass rush from the D-line isn't looking great.I really want to see more moves right off the snap.It always feels like we need to get the hands on the plate before trying anything.With the exception of Westerman,it feels like no-body does this.
    • Maybin looks pretty explosive off the ball and showed great hustle to chase down a screen play.I think we need to keep him,his 1st round potential is still there
    • MVT showed his strength in the game,stonewalling blockers and drawing double teams.If he learns to use his hands then he could be a great player

15. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

@ what point is it ok to blame Schotty? I have a big problem with the passes he gets from not only the FO and other coaches, but from fans. I'm tired of every single QB being the reason we can't move the ball but the common denominator at OC is always Schottenhiemer. At what point do we open our eyes and say "maybe HE'S the problem." I know it was just a preseason game but c'mon. It's the same old BS every year. If it's Mark's fault, like some people like to conveniently say, then we need to explore other options soon. I personally don't think it is but somethng has to give. You cannot expect to win a ring with the same BS vanilla offense that takes a whole half to generate a successful drive.

Also, we need to address our pass rush. Let's not let that be an annual problem too. We looked decent on D but we get ZERO pressure unless we're sending a bunch of extra guys. At some point, teams are going to start picking that apart. Guys are getting stood up @ the line of scrimmage way too much.

As for the positives:
    1.I thought Kyle looked promising.
    2.Shonn looks like a beast. I love how he churns his legs and falls forward. He very rarely gets stood up.
    3.Santonio is a in the "you better double me" class now.
    4.I'm still really impressed by this Kerley kid. Hopefully Schotty uses him.
    5.Bellore and Mauga are as solid as you can ask for as backups.
    6. I think Strickland will be an upgrade over Coleman.
    7.Pace finally looks healthy.
    8.Leonhard is playing better than I expected. He looks good out there.
    9.Mark seems more comfortable when the rush is breathing down his neck
    10.We still gang tackle better than any team in the league!
    11.Maybin is fast as fuck n pretty good on blitzes. Unfortunately, he's still too light in the ass. He got manhandled a few times. I was literally lol-ing. Take him to Gaby's Pizza in Queens and tell him don't leave until he gains 20 lbs lol.

16. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Schotty isn't perfect, but he isn't the main problem. No one will be happy unless we have the number one offense in the NFL. I don't like everything he's done, but trust me, we could have a much worse situation at OC.

#116 bojanglesman, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  17. Franchize

Not tryna be an asshole or even disagree but what do you feel is our "main problem" ?

18. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Why does there need to be a main problem? The Jets have several issues, just like every other team (some more than others). They could use more depth on the offensive line. They do have some kinks to work out with Sanchez and the new WRs. We really aren't going to be able to tell anything about what needs work and what doesn't until the season starts and they are calling in depth, real defensive and offensive plays, not the basic preseason stuff.

I'm just happy the main guys made it through the preseason healthy. We could be the Giants........a walking morgue.

Players have to execute what Schotty calls. Does he make the perfect call every time? No. Who does?

19. Franchize

20. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

Seems somewhat pertinent to the current conversation, Schotty "won" the Herbie from Kirk Herbstreit for "College head coaches in 2012"...