Thoughts on NYG/NYJ game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cellar-door, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Cromartie isn't quick, he possesses world class speed, he ran a 4.36 at the combine or something

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I know you out of everybody on this board will remember this. 1992. 5-0 preseason. Browning Nagle. I refuse to get my hopes too up or too down based on preseason results after that.

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

Cro needs to challenge that kicker. Throw a stiff arm or make a move or something. Don't just let the kicker angle you out of bounds. He might have housed it.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

More recently we had a great preseason in 2002 and people were calling us a SB favorite then we started the season 1-4 looking awful in those first 3 losses.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yep. good catch
    I was much younger (obviously) in '92 and coming off that playoff appearance, albeit with an 8-8 record, we were all geeked up about Nagle and the strong preseason when we just came out, lost a couple of close games early, lost confidence and just flat-out sucked after that. hahaha....ever since that preseason I root for at least one PS loss every year since.

6. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I agree but I would like to see him start initiating some contact. I know the last thing we need for him is to get hurt while returning a kick but on almost every kickoff I've seen him return he just runs out of bounds. He could have easily scored last night if he ran THROUGH the kicker rather than around him and towards the sidelines where he easily got pushed out of bounds.

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I think in a normal year, with mini camps, OTA's, 2 a days, etc, that is probably true. But this year is unique in that those small (but important) steps haven't really been in place. So pre-season is a much stronger gauge of what to expect, at least early. So the "Sanchez will be fine folks" need to make me understand how that is such a lock when the next time he sees the field will be September 11 for opening day.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, not by a longshot. But to shrug shulders (not saying you're doing this, but more than a few in here have) at a blah final dress rehersal seems oddly cavalier.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Sanchez is a veteran player now....this isn't his first rodeo.

I expect him to be prepared and ready to roll for week 1.

9. nyjunc

why do you throw out his good play in the first 2 games and just focus on the poor play in game 3? should NE be worried b/c they stunk the other night too?

10. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I think everyone gets that the W's and L's in pre-season is meaningless. But the performances, especially of the first stringers, and especially by the 3rd game, can be an indicator or shit that really needs to get fixed by game one.

I'd be stunned and disappointed if we lose to the fucking Cowboys. We're a better team. But the chemistry on offense and Mark's decision making (at times) left something to be concerned about.

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Seriously? He's our starting CB returning a kickoff in a meaningless preseason game. Do you really want to see him get hurt taking on a kicker? What the Hell does that prove? Don't you want to see our offense get some work with good field position?

12. nyjunc

In '02 our starters played really well in preseason.

In our 3rd preseason game last year we lost 16-11.

mark and the O were not sharp in the first half and they kept them in until the beginning of the 4th when we finally put up a TD.

13. boxorox

boxorox Banned

If he sucks (like 3 picks sucks not 2/1 td/int) in week 1 we're going to have much bigger problems than finding some chemistry or whatever it is that you'll be chalking it up to. If he plays ok to better than ok we'll have plenty of room to get firing on all cylinders and we should have enough juice from the D to pull out a big win at home to start things off right.

It's just not worth getting worked up over. I didn't see the first quarter but he really didn't look that bad to me...certainly much better than his "bad" games in previous years at the least. He has shown me enough especially late last year that I have confidence he's going to move forward from his past slow starts enough to put us in play for the division.

I'm much more worried about Schotty's ability to call an honest to god real game if Sanchez plays well. I'm more scared we're going to come with guns loaded, and Schotty is going to make us dump it out and shoot blanks instead. The O-line doesn't bother me. The D line doesn't bother me. The receivers don't bother me (2 years off the field seems like it would only add some extra longevity for Plax to me...someone that good isn't just going to forget how to be a receiver and he has less wear and tear than the average 34 wr if you subtract the bullet) Mason just needs to be a roleplayer and we have the raw kid poised to prove himself if need be.

Why should I be scared? No team is perfect, if there are no areas for concern that's when I'd really start to be worried waiting for the shoe to drop. You're nitpicking over one flattish throwing game in the preseason against a good team. Where were you last week?

14. nyjunc

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ he's reading Sports Illustrated while watching you masturbate.

16. boxorox

boxorox Banned

that is perverse.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Preseason is all vanilla for starters, I don't get excited or nervous based on anything in the preseason.

I only watch to evaluate the yoots.

18. boxorox

boxorox Banned

the two what? what was that word?

19. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

In my own opinion to a certain degree I agree with you. Yes, Mark is a vet now and I understand that but teams such as the Saints, Packers, and Pats dont ahve any fears about there starting QB. With the Jets Mark has been so up and down over the course of the last 2 years it makes people question things. Coupled with the fact that it is a shortened preseason and the fact that Schotty is a clown sometimes just gives people more things to question.

This is the year Mark needs to move into that great QB mold, he has been given every weapon around him possible to inlcude a top D.

20. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Great point. I see many excuses made for the QB and lots of people wanting to lay blame on the OC. Perhaps the OC is handcuffed by the play of the QB more then we know. Maybe it limits his pplay selection. I do not know but I am just saying.....