Thoughts on NYG/NYJ game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cellar-door, Aug 29, 2011.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Nothing says lovin' more than scissorin', no? :rofl:

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think they got some good stuff on tape tonight.

Sometimes you can learn from mistakes.

A couple of guys stepped up pretty good.
    Hope they find a spot.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I know it's preseason, and who knows for sure, but I'm suspecting Tom Moore is having some influence on the play calling. Obviously, a guess on my part, but...

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

sure you do, it means Schotty is gonna give us all aneurysms again this season. :smile:

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Scissor me timbers!

[​IMG]

6. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Bellore didn't butterfinger the fumble. Another Jets' helmet hit the ball and knocked it away from him.

7. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

We obviously didn't see the same game. I thought the starting OL pretty much sucked. How many three and outs did the Jets have? For the most part, Greene had no holes to run through and Sanchez didn't have a lot of time to go through his progressions and did a good job escaping pressure several times.

I think the offense will probably be ok in time, but how many games will it take? How many games will they lose in the interim that they could/should have won? They haven't effectively run the ball all preseason. Hunter has been anything but solid. He looked very shaky tonight. Sanchez and the receivers aren't in sync. Then let's not forget Schotty. I have little confidence in Schotty. I'd have a whole lot more confidence in our offense if the Jets had a quality OC.

8. NJjets1981

NJjets1981 New Member

I feel like Calikid just writes stuff. He claims to have gone to HS and college in NYC, but that would leave me to believe he has watched at least ONE Jets/Giants preseason game. Clearly he would know that at a Giants home game where they produce 3 pts. and they have Jets fans sitting right next to them, they are not gonna be too loud.

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Flat...flat flat flat! The whole team looked flat! Not uncommon for a pre-season game but against the Gints I expected more as far as intensity.

Having said that, I was not at all impressed by the first team offense. I watched it...twice and the O-line DID do a great job of blocking...that Giants D-line is notorious for making offenses look bad. I watched as much as I could of the receiver corps...Sanchez was going through his progressions...it was obvious and clearly he thought there was coverage. On that note, if you are having your intermediate and deep routes taken away...where were the quick slants etc...the ones we saw the week before? Where were the screens...force the coverage up then go back to your deeper routes.

The D was just ok. I am ok that they didn't give up points...but I am really tired of the bend but don't break stuff...it's not good for my constitution. lol lol

The 2nd team of the Jets is far and away more talented than their backups...they basically kicked their butts in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Maybe our depth is getting the experience they need.

One thing that is absolute necessity is we need to iron out the kicking situation. That will bite us in the butt at some point this season.

Overall, glad with the win even if it is pre-season. Winning builds confidence. I'm not happy with the overall effort though...it IS pre-season though so I take it with a grain...let's hope we do not see that in the regular season. I, too, will give credit to the Giants. They are a much better team than we, the Jets fans, credit them. They SHOULD have made the playoffs last year and were a 10 win team so a little credit has to go there.

Praying that no one gets hurt next week!

Final note...Wilkerson better learn you can't pull that crap in the regular season. Ejected...what an embarrassment!

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Anything missing from tonight's offense expect a large dose of on September 11th.

11. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Actually that'd be a great idea. If you start complaining outside of the SOJ game thread, you're banned.

felchin'?

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm not confident with our current Punters or Kickers.

The Aussie puts a unique spin on the ball which was giving the Giants returner a fit on fielding. However, i feel he's a little inconsistent and doesn't seem to boot well for distance.

Conley seems to be a little more consistent. However, when he does boot it deep, could use more hang time to help the coverage units get downfield.
    Both Giants Punters are better imo.

Haven't seen Folk consistently drive kickoffs deep into the end zone. Novak been a little better in that area.
    Neither inspire confidence on place kicking.

Will be interesting to see if any moves are made after cuts, or if we roll with current kickers.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I don't like to give Shotty the benefit of the doubt, but I am hoping the play calling early in the game was purposely vanilla and conservative for a reason.. Because if that's the way they're going to go into the season, it's going to be brutal. I don't think they threw a pass beyond 5 yards until late in the second quarter, it was infuriating.

Obviously the offense has work to do, especially in the run game. Greene looked pretty good, but the line doesnt seem to be opening up big holes like last year. Hopefully as Moore gets into a groove after his injury it will improve.

On D I was really impressed by Pitoitua again. Would not be surprised to see this guy end up starting or at least playing a whole lot.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's looked good especially against the run. If he can use that tall body to pressure and disrupt passing lanes, i think we'll see a lot of him on gameday.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Brandon Moore came back and played great. Showed why he is probably the most under rated linemen in the nfl.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wild Cat looked good. Holmes TD was good. Defense looked strong. Brandon Jacobs is a baby back bitch. Those are my thoughts of the game.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I am so pleased that the wildcat is still in the game plan.

18. boxorox

boxorox Banned

I didn't see most of the first quarter but going from the second quarter I was very pleased with Sanchez's performance. He wasn't missing high like he tended to do in the past, reading the thread it looks like he didn't early either. I think the pass that missed way left really wasn't that bad I think it was Burress? trying to get outside but he got held up a bit so it looked a lot worse than it was. The only truly bad throw was when Plax was wide open in the middle and he held the ball a second too long and threw it to where he should've thrown it if he had let it go at the right time. He was a little indecisive there but he didn't miss to a dangerous spot at least so that's something. He made a great throw to Tone in the end zone and hit him all over the place elsewhere. The Giants have a pretty tough d and I thought he's showing good progression so far from year 2-3. I guess most everyone thinks there's no difference between the Bungles and the Giants or something.

If we can just get the big W in week 1 we get 2 free wins to let the team gel and let the young guys get comfortable in the system. We just desperately need to start 1-0 and we can be in a position to bulldoze our way through the year if that happens...and at least being in a good wildcard position if we can't beat the pats the first time. Every game is huge of course, but week 1 is really really huge because we'll be most vulnerable there.

Schotty is of course the biggest fear factor, but again in the second quarter he was letting them open it up. I liked the balls he showed calling 4 wide on the 4th and 1 and Sanchez made a good touch throw to pick up the first down. They wouldn't have called it in years past and Sanchez almost certainly wouldn't have hit the mark if they had. O line looked pretty flat overall but Sanchez is very evasive so they got away with a few anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic that Schotty won't fuck it all up until he gets released. I have no idea what people that are hating on Sanchez are talking about. Have you been watching how horrible he has looked at times over the past two years? We know he can look entirely great when it matters most...it looks like his horrible might be upgraded to slightly bad now. We can work with that very very easily.

Defense looked entirely awesome. I'll give up a few runs all day long if we're going to get to the quarterback that well...but I also assume the run d is going to perform way better than that on average. Good luck to every offense in the league...they're going to need it.

19. Greene had 3 runs of 5 yards or more in limited duty. Sure there were some good stuff jobs by the Giants, but I chalk that up mostly to predictable play calling and the lack of passing game.

Hunter gave up one pressure to Tuck on a great inside move...other than that I thought he played well. Whether you want to admit it or not the Giants have a great front 4 pass rush...Sanchez was not sacked once. Sure there were acouple pressures, but afew of those were a result of good coverage on hot reads/quick pass play calls.

This game was the only time this entire preseason that the starting 5 has played together. I thought they played relatively well given the poor passing attack and the opponent's tough front 4.

Just my opinion though.

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I thought the O-line did a fine job. Tough to pile on them. Greene had some space and Sanchez made through relatively unscathed. What more can you expect in their first game together in more than 8 months?
    The Hunter penalty was a huge minus, though, but that's just on him.