A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Ty Law, Ty Warren, Asante Samuel, Lawyer Milloy, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Seymore, etc. were all young at some point while they were on the Patriots. What you are seeing is more of a repeating 'wave' effect than something truly new.

Belichick was once 'known' to favor veteran linebackers (hence all those years with Bruschi, Seau playing past their primes), but to make a blanket statement that the Pats have gotten by with older vets on defense seems inaccurate IMO.

#461 gopats88, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

im not making a blanket statement.

when you guys were at your best ie Playoff success most of your core defenders were veterans.

thats all im getting at.

the defense has been retooled and after a shaky 09 season they started to gel and become formidable last yr.

most of my statement was in response to Patfanken making it sound like our older LB'ers would be hard to replace, when I then said Pace and Thomas are nothing special all u need is capable performers.

the problem will be finding a replacement for Scott who has no problem taking on OL regularly.

3. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Okay, that's fine.

I was just trying to point out that we just went through the same youth movement that it looks like the Jets are going through. It's not like Pats fans in general are ignorant to the idea of replacing older players with young ones.

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Just to the idea that anyone other than the Pats could do it successfully.

5. patfanken

patfanken Banned

No I'm not saying that categorically everything will blow up in the Jets faces. I'm just saying that it MIGHT. You on the other hand are pretty much comfortable that it categorically WON'T

I also said that I didn't think that it is going to blow up THIS year, but in the next couple as lack of cap space squeezes the Jets FO's ability to add talent to the roster and keep the talent they have.

C'mon Captain, you start off SAYING that replacing your 3 older LBs won't be easy, then immediately spend the rest of the paragraph explaining how "easy" it will be to replace them. Got to pick one or the other.

RB has become the most replaceable position in the league. Several of the league's best offenses were teams with no name RBs including the Pats,Saints, and Packers. But those are all teams with prolific passing attacks.

The Jets offense REQUIRES a top running attack. And until it is tested you can't be sure that it will be business as usual.

Gholston has "all the potential in the world" - Lets see McKnight contribute half as much as Woodhead does before you anoint him a significant contributor based on NOThING

And while I'm very excited about Ridley's performance in preseason, and about Vereens "unlimited potential" now that he's finally practicing; I would never COUNT on either to be significant contributors. OTOH< You are COUNTING on McNight and Powell. HOPE is the better adjective for BOTH of us.

No, there is an old saying that "if you aren't getting better, then you are falling behind" IMHO, the Jets are have incurred slight loses at WR and the OL. They have bigger questions on the the DL. All this is somewhat mitigated by the EXPECTED improvement by Sanchez. Ergo the opinion that the Jets are a very good team, but not BETTER than they were last season. OTOH there is a good case that Buffalo, Miami, AND the Pats all got better

That's not saying the Jets can't beat any of those teams. It just an assessment of where I think they are AT THIS POINT in time. IF guys like Ellis and Wilkerson both turn out to be top notch rookies, and Hunter is all Callahan hopes he can be, and Slauson improves, and Westerman develops, Greene stays healthy and hold on to the ball, and Plex and Mason work out for the full season, and Sanchez is more that what he appears to be, etc etc etc THEN that opinion will change.....and I'll be the first to admit it.

Well if that's the case, I apologize. I have tried to do the opposite

On this we completely agree. Let the games begin.....in a few weeks

6. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Mayo
    Mcourty.
    Gronkowski
    Hernandez
    Spikes
    Cunningham
    Chung
    Arrington
    Volmer
    Woodhead
    BJGE
    Tate
    Edelman
    Fletcher
    Price
    Pryor,
    Love
    Butler
    Brace, etc

Would all beg to differ with your opinion. One of the key reasons the Pats brought in all the vet DLmen this off season is to add some maturity to what was the youngest Defense in the league.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

No, they brought them in because your defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the salary cap is directly tied to tv contracts and those contracts are going to increase substantially in 2013

he did not say it was easy, he said its not going to be too difficult ... things in life are not just easy and difficult, you dont have to choose one

huh? how is our running game not tested ... because we added one new o-lineman?

being a weight room freak does not mean you have "all the potential in the world" as a football player. the dude cant play football period

we are not COUNTing on significant contributions from the dark mcknight or powell ... but they provide very solid depth

the jets were more talented than ALL of those teams last year, they HAD to get better if they wanted to beat the jets

i love how people act like losing shaun ellis is going to take us from third ranked against the run to the 2010 pats line ... at this point in his career, he is very replaceable

and i really dont see why you keep comparing the 2010 jets to the 2011 jets ... compare them to the 2011 teams in the league and, on paper, they are up there with the best of them

ellis and wilkerson do not have to be top notch rookies to replace what was lost with ellis because he did not have a top notch season last year, same goes for westerman with regards to jason taylor

slauson has done nothing but improve since hes gotten in the league so, as a young player, its pretty safe to assume that he will continue to do so

i dont see why mason wouldnt work out for the whole season, the guy is as durable as they come

hunter, greene/plexs health and sanchez improving are legit things that need to go well if the jets want to get where they aspire to be ... but your list of "issues" is overly pessimistic

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

precisely ... and well played

10. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Let's end this goatfuck

The pats are very good but the Jets have had their number (other than the blowout) the last couple years. The jets didn't lose much of anything in the offseason. Neither did the pats so it's game on again this year bitches and no fucking "it's a rebuilding year" excuses. The jets are going to keep doing what they do, lighting up suckers and knocking out chumps. Pats better bring their A-game.

Now let's go eat a goddamn snack
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from twitter @pay_uno
    Tedy Bruschi on w/ @RyanRuocco @robinlundberg said Patriots have to keep up w/ #Jets & this city belongs to #Jets & Sanchez can b top 10 QB

#470 Donttasemebro, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

first off i said defense as in only a fraction of those names u listed.

and further more your dropping these names like each one of them is all pro.

your defense also had an uncanny advantage of brady's low int numbers inflating the leads they forced teams to play behind.

dont count on that this year, its easy to look good when teams are desperately throwing drives together down by 14+

i never said the lb'ers would be easy or hard, like i said you love twisting words.

pace is above average thomas is average. what dont you get.

the hardest need to address will be a young capable number 2 across from Holmes.

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thanks for addressing this before i had to do another round with him. pretty much what i was thinking