Football is becoming soft

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by inSANITy, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

You mean you want him to completely catch the ball before the defender has the right to hit him? Hah! Moore was trying to separate the ball from the receiver, he was gonna do it whether the wideout bobbled it or not.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The ball was clearly over the WRs head, he was in a defenseless position. That will be, and should be, called every single time.

3. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Clearly over his head? The wideout dropped the ball and Moore hit him about a half second after that.
    We obviously aren't seeing the same thing and I know you're stubborn as hell so, agree to disagree.

4. nyjunc

It was of his finger tips and at no time did the defender make a play on the ball, he wa going for the knockout shot. It was stupid and illegal and he was rightfully flagged and fined for it.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i dunno which hits you guys are debating but the game is becoming more soft.

anyone who disagrees go watch soccer or baseball.

i can understand trying to eliminate concussions but alot of the borderline hits should be left alone.

also eliminating two-a-days is the biggest puss move ive ever heard of.

and a quota on contact practices?

wtf. i could understand maybe implementing a rule where not EVERY session can be in full pads. but yeah what bart scott said is exactly how i feel.

and just because the guys are stronger and faster doesnt mean we should start putting them in bubble wrap.

if you dont want to play, then dont.

6. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Again, if you've ever played safety or secondary for that matter at any level you can tell that type of hit is not intended to knockout a receiver but in fact to make sure he doesn't catch the ball. I'm sorry he couldn't tell in half a second the wideout was going to drop the ball because he only missed it by maybe an inch. Do you want him to wait until he catches it so he can wrap him up?

Oh and, make a play on the ball? There was no way he was going to reach it, I've discussed that earlier in the thread.

Go watch basketball or something if you're gonna complain about this weak stuff. It wasn't helmet to helmet and he didn't spear him, it's fine with me, and this is an example of how the NFL has gotten a little too soft for my liking.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this 100 times.

like i said i cant weigh in on the play you guys are talking about.

but the Smith hit on Boldin is a perfect example of DB's doing their job right and the play just ending wrong

also when WR's try to angle their fall or move at the last second I dont see how its the DB's fault

especially when theyre coached to annihilate any receiver with the ball in fingers grasp.

8. nyjunc

I actually have played in the secondary(though I mostly played on offense) and he made no attempt at the ball, he went for the kill shot. It wasa dirty hit and would have been flagged 20 years ago just as it was the other night.

I'm not complaining, you are the one complaining.

I'd love tos ee you take a shot like that and tell me the NFL is soft. They are putting these rules in place to protect these players that have gotten bigger, stronger and faster over the years. soon we will see a death on the field from the collisions. They are doingt he right things and again this play would have been called 20 years ago, this is not a new rule.

If the players of today hit the players of the 80s/70s/60s/50s they would literally kill them. They are so much bigger and generate much bigger collisions due to their size and the speed of the players.

It's easy for allof us to call the game soft and it is softer to an extent but that is to protect the players from killing themselves.

9. nyjunc

Eric smith led w/ his helmet and launched himself into Boldin. He didn't do things the right way on that play.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thats why 170 lb WR's, 260 lb OL, 210 lb LBers and 180 RB's have no business playing unless they can hang.

any legit helmet to helmet should be called

but i think theo's point is these plays that fall in a extreme grey area where one of the players re-angles themself before impact

or a facemask brush a facemask when theyre putting their shoulder across for a textbook hit.

he, and I are sick of seeing flags on such ambiguos plays.

i think thats the point hes making and if so i entirely agree.

when your a defender the opposite side of this argument is when guys like Fitzgerald and Cotch jump up get walloped land with the ball and score on you.

your job as a defender is to separate the reciever from the ball, no more, but definitely NO LESS

11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

really cause he was aiming to come across his shoulder and kerry rhodes contact from behind is what led to the helmet to helmet.

i know what i saw.

you dont have to agree but nobody will convince me otherwise (i know your familiar with this school of thought)

12. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Again, he had no play on the ball.

Should I say it again? He had no play on the ball, hell if the wideout wasn't even there he still probably wouldn't have caught it... Anyway, he dropped his shoulder into the guys chest, he didn't even extend his arm afterwards, the whiplash from him hitting his head on the floor is what did Jones in. Maybe you should watch the video again?

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Kerry Collins isn't winning 10 games either. :lol:

14. nyjunc

It doesn't matter wher eh hit him, he led w/ his helmet. Rhodes hitting Boldin from behind made the hit helmet to helmet but that wasn't the problem, the problem was he led w/ his helmet.

He was flagged and fined, that's all we need to know.

15. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

[YOUTUBE]MMZAsZD9I3s[/YOUTUBE]

^ That on the other hand is a player trying to knock a wideout out cold, launching himself at a receiver, and not paying attention to the ball at all. He was flagged in the game, but a week later the NFL offices said they "shouldn't have thrown a flag."

I'm confused now, I don't know what to believe anymore.

16. nyjunc

That was worse than the hit on the Bills WR but the same type of play, hitting a defenseless WR. will be called every time.

17. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Except the NFL later said it shouldn't have been flagged...
    Oh, and the fact the Welker didn't know he was gonna get hit.

18. nyjunc

I think the NFL said it should have been flagged as it wasn't during the game which is why they suspended Smith $50,000 and suspended him a game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b3c79c&template=with-video&confirm=true

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

really cause if Rhodes doesnt hit him from behind then everyone just talks about what a good play Smith made.

people lead with their helmets all the time it only gets flagged when someone pays the price.

your making it sound like that flag was thrown no matter what.

i completely disagree.

naturally when your running full speed and launching yourself into someone your head will lead the charge. its the defenders job to make sure there head goes across the shoulders and not directly into the facemask.

Smith played the ball right, Rhodes changed their course of collision, thats how i see it

20. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I'm talking about the Welker hit. I said it in the post, and posted a video.
    He was flagged in the game for unnecessary roughness, and later...
    Alright?