Sanchez's Career vs Top QB's 1st Two Seasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I could care less if he's completing 20% of his passes so long as we are winning the games. Why would we change a winning quarterback on account of statistics? That's just crazy.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well lets be reasonable.

20% means that the defense is winning the games.

Sanchez has to get to 58% this year. I've never seen a QB jump 6 or 7 points in comp % in one year.

58% is where he can and should be.

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

20% is obviously an exaggeration, but using any one stat to determine whether a QB is viable is nuts.

4. Trifco

Trifco New Member

No, not really... the issue was about how this team with another QB would be building a dinasty by now (at least that's where I understand the question was directed).

Sanchez hasn't cost a SB trip to the team so far.
    If the team hadn't make it to the playoffs in 2009, then yeah, I'd agree that it had a lot to do with Sanchez and the history would be totally different; we wouldn't have seen him perform in playoffs which could've lead to the team losing faith in him and a totally different 2010 season; in that case, yes, one could argue that with a different QB, probably the fate of the team would've been different.

But for whatever reason, we made it to the playoffs, so from then on, it's a whole new tournament, and Sanchez was not to blame for the team falling short of the goal.

And last season CG is not fair to point fingers at him. That first half was on the defense and Mark's performance in the second half was great...

So it's not the same. This team hasn't been held back because of the QB so far.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

oh so aside from what 3 games hes been loaded with weapons your full of shit and in denial to say otherwise.

the only way to upgrade over the targets hes been given would be to have two pro bowl WR's and adrian peterson

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i appreciate it abyz

and I couldnt agree more thats exactly what I was getting at.

*for those who dont agree with our sentiment*

Look, people here are getting touchy about Sanchez and keep downplaying homefield advantage and the regular season as if these playoff appearances are guaranteed.

if Sanchez played ANY worse either of these last two seasons we dont see the playoffs. and minus us getting off the field on 3rd down last year, the defense HAS carried this team.

its just a unique debate cause conversely Sanchez is the farthest thing from the reason we never saw the SB in those two playoff runs.

that being said if Sanchez was playing at an unquestionably high level (65% completion, 4000 yards, 28+ tds) i dont think theres any doubt in my mind Rex and the gang wouldve met Obama by now.

so I really dont see the point in deflecting critics expecting a noticeable jump in his performance year 3. when you usually learn what a player will pan out to be at that point.

I have faith in him, just not blind faith.

7. A-11 Jets

A-11 Jets New Member

I like the Outsider's because they often have an interesting take. Hard to get too worked up about metric's though, because even the Boston "Dickheads" know that football might be soccer, but it is not baseball.

I agree with: If Sanchez improves completions the rest will follow. If Mark improved to 58% or 60% he would be all "tits".

I also like McElroy, from what little I've seen, he looks like he knows what he's doing. His arm strength, to me, looks suspect for the NFL. Not that I'd know anything from two preseason games... But, He looks like a great pick up, not because he is a future star in training, but because he looks like a player that will be part of the team and can help it.

On a serious note, we should be examining some of the real "X" factors:

1.) How many girlfriends did these quarterbacks go through during their first two years?

2.) How many hot dogs did each eat on a yearly average? Plus or minus, private back yard BBQ parties, which you are not able to chart.

3.) How many god damn snack breaks did each QB take annually?

I mean why not? seems about as reasonable as the statistical data on how far the kickoff tee moved, if it moved on kickoff. Ohh, I mean dropped interceptions... What ever that means. (Interception + Dropped + Hit Ground = Incomplete Pass?)

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I don't see what is so unreasonable about your post. If Sanchez plateau's or worse, he really isn't going to be the answer. It will be time to cut bait.

That said I think he will improve over last year. Whether that is a small or huge statistical leap remains to be seen.

Honestly, the accuracy thing really bothers me. No successful QB in the modern era can have a comp. % in the low 50's. He really needs to improve that big time. He will have adequate chance too because the Jets are going to be airing it out quite a bit more than in the years past. The training wheels are off..........

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Is it me or did that guys post go over everyone's head. I think they just read the first part......lol

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

agreed, their argument is solid. We knew from the second Mark was drafted, that our chances for success rested almost entirely on his shoulders. If he doesnt continue to improve not only this year but next as well, we might be in trouble.

However, we absolutely can win a superbowl if we get to the postseason and he continues his success there. If his regular season from last year is basically repeated, it will be hard to make the playoffs, but if we do, we are very dangerous.

That said, if Mark plays like postseason Sanchez starting September 11, not only will we make the playoffs, I would predict we end up as a top 2 seed in the AFC.

It's time Mark takes the next step, and based on his demeanor and his newfound leadership skills, the kid appears ready to take that step and become the reason we win regular season games. Why isn't it 9/11 yet?

11. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

The fact of the matter is that Sanchez improved his QB rating from 63 to 75.3 during the regular season. In addition his playoff statistics are even better 92.7 and 95.5. He plays his best in the biggest games. If the improvement continues this year we'll be set for a Super Bowl run. Given his lack of playing experience I think those statistics are pretty remarkable.

P.S. Remember that living well is the best revenge!

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Sanchez led the team to comeback or late game or OT wins against Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston and rescued the defense that could not close out games in those wins. Isn't that leading his team to the playoffs? Four wins? Some people are spending too much time looking at stats and not results. He wins.

By the way, one more completed pass in each game - 16 completions - and Sanchez would have had a 58% completion percentage. I think there were more drops than that.

As for those saying he needs to take this team "to the next level" - I could see being disappointed in Sanchez is he lost playoff games to teams the Jets should be beating. But the kid has been on the road as a significant underdog in every playoff game he has played in and he has excelled. I'd rather have a QB who plays well in January than in September and October.

13. felker

felker Active Member

A few QB's like Eli Manning and Drew Brees don't hit their peak for four or more years. The rawness of Sanchez may put him in this group. Brees had to change teams to get to his full potential. In Eli's case it may have been due to the fact that winning the SB took a lot of personal pressure off him.

It's really hard to say when and at what level a QB will peak at. However the folks that are making the statement the Sanchez will all of a sudden take a big step forward this year, well, what is opinion this based on? What has changed other than the passage of a year? The Jets system hasn't changed and 2 out of 3 WRs have changed.

14. Trifco

Trifco New Member

all of a sudden... big step forward... no.

I don't think he needs a big step forward, I do think he needs to keep improving at the same pace he has improved so far.
    He has been improving from year 1 to year 2, and he has shown that he has the skills and the talent to perform better, cause he plays great in some games, he's proved that he can play great football... he just needs consistency.
    So that's definitely no where near to an "all of a sudden", and he doesn't need a "big step forward".

If he keeps on building on what he's achieved so far, he'll be more than fine.

Also, he's just starting his 4th season after HS, he's still in the learning process.
    Also, about that 2 out of the 3 WR change... I think that'll be more like an improvement.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Yea, cause acquiring a wr with the drops mid-season and a a slightly above avg rb is all a rookie qb needs

16. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

This is why NDmick doesn't take you serious.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

the drops were left in cleveland

your grasping at straws.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

is this serious?

i hope not

since when did his opinion become the end all be all to QB analysis and Mick has echoed everyones statements with exception for he expects or would be satisfied with 58% being that its hard for any QB to jump over 6% in one season.

i think its possible though and if hes good enough he should.

Sanchez needs to step up and theres no two ways around it.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

not true, in 2009 braylon had a lot of drops ... he cleaned that up in 2010 though

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

you mean where he had 6 drops in 96 targets. i wouldnt call that a glaring problem.

listen, we obviously dont agree.

i believe Sanchez has been surrounded with WELL MORE than adequate targets since day 1.

you dont.

it is what it is.