A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NJjets1981

NJjets1981 New Member

BRADY on the JETS looking toward the SuperBowl:
    “The Jets – well we’ve heard that for a few years so it’s always, you don’t ever hear us talking too much about that,” Brady said.
    The reason they dont talk about it, is because they know there is a STRONG chance they wont even make the AFC Championship game. Thats the PATS confidence.

2. gopats88

gopats88 Member

... as opposed to '01, '03, and '04 when they WERE talking about superbowls in the preseason... oh, wait...

3. NJjets1981

NJjets1981 New Member

Well then they didnt need confidence then, they new the defensive signals.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

My God some of these ratings are horrific. I can't confidently speak about most of the Pats players, but Pouha, DeVito, Harris, and especially Wayne Hunter are ridiculous.

On the Pats side, I will say I've read several places including Profootballfocus and FO that Merriweather was pretty terrible last year so it would seem his rating might be a little high. On the flip side, I thought Vollmer was better than his rating here.

5. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Couple things I wanted to point out.

Offensive Line: You can't really rank it by averaging everyone together (or however you did it). Left tackle (and arguably center) has a shitton more weight than a guard where Mankings is first overall. Wayne Hunter and Matt Slauson are valued really low too, but that's just my opinion.

LB and DL: Comparing apples to oranges. 4-3 versus 3-4 base sets, even with the hybrid sub-packages both teams run.. can't definitively say one or the other. If you absolutely had to gauge it I'd say the Pats have a better defensive line and the Jets have the edge at LB but it's negligible both ways.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

One big mistake in those rankings is they have Pool starting at safety. Try and stay current, guys. Eric Smith is the starter.

I will say, though, that the Pats right now look to have a much better DL, unless and until the new Jet players show otherwise.

As much respect as I have for Mankins and a couple of other offensive linemen on the Pats, with Mangold and Ferguson at the key positions of Center and Left Tackle, excuse me while I take the Jet line every day of the week. In that connection the rating on Hunter is the one of all of them that jumps out at you as an error.

But I'll say it again, going through the rosters, the advantages slightly favor the Jets except at Qb, where up til now, least in the regular season, the Pats have had the clear advantage. It's really up to Sanchez to narrow that gap, and that will be the key to the Jets' season.

7. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

I know this will not be received well by any Jets fans, but I wanted to point out that in my fantasy experts football draft last night, Mark Sanchez stuck around until the 12th round. The Jets defense went in the middle of the 5th...just sayin

On a side note though, How do you all feel about Mason this year? I am pretty sure Sanchez will improve on his regular season stats this year, esp with his offensive weapons(assuming he is allowed to throw the ball, and throw it deep).

I was able to grab Mason in the 9th round as a 3rd WR, good move, bad move, thoughts?

#387 jb1095, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

:rofl:
    1. Why are you even talking about Fantasy drafts in this section?
    2. What kind of "expert" takes a defense in the 5th round?
    3. What kind of dolt takes the draft order from a fantasy football draft (An apparent bad one at that) and uses that info as a correlation to how good a QB is?

Can the season start already please?

9. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

There goes the season I guess.

10. gopats88

gopats88 Member

About the O-line and LBs, yeah I know. I just didn't want to go too far into this analysis, which I expected to get shitted on anyways since it's ESPN. I just wanted to make the obvious comparison and leave it up for discussion.

As I wrote, I included the highest rated players for every position. ESPN has Poole rated higher than Smith. In fact, NYJ safety ratings look like this (Poole 69, Leonard 69, Smith 65).

11. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Also, just because you guys complain about Slauson, Harris, and Hunter's ratings, I figure I will also post what ESPN/Scout's Inc. has to say about them:

Wayne Hunter - Grade 57
    Comment: Hunter has good size with average strength and athleticism for the tackle position. He appears to be aware to react quickly to stunts and twists with decent use of his hands to maintain leverage. He isn't powerful at the point of attack but can lock on and stay connected. He is inconsistent at playing with great pad level and tends to lose his technique. He is a steady effort player who works to finish. He appears to be a bit of a tweener, lacking great athleticism for the tackle position and great natural power as an interior lineman.

Matt Slauson - Grade 64
    Comment: Slauson is a big strong lineman with limited athletic ability. He has power at the point of attack to be an effective zone run blocker. He understands angles and how to gain leverage with proper hand use on combination blocks. He can anchor effectively versus powerful bull rushers, but quick counter moves can expose his lack of lateral agility. He is average in space and on the second level.

David Harris - Grade 79
    Comment: Harris has been one of the most consistent performers for the Jets defense. He is a better run defender, showing great instincts and ability to leverage the ball effectively. Harris uses his hands well. He runs well and shows good range inside-out to the ball. Harris has a good feel for timing when blitzing. He reads route progressions well and is best in combination zone coverages. He is a solid open field tackler and has led the team in this statistic three of the past four seasons.

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This grade is egregious. Harris is one of the best ILB in the game.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

A few more that people might find interesting:

Ladanian Tomlinson - Grade 70
    Comment: Tomlinson has clearly has lost a step but still has excellent hands and natural instincts with the ball. He doesn't make the first tackler miss as he once did and has taken more direct shots in the past two seasons. His acceleration is still good at the second level or on the outside but he doesn't run away from defenders.

Plaxico Burress - Grade 77
    Comment: Burress is a once-great wide receiver with extreme natural tools -- namely his tremendous size that he utilizes very well along with impressive body control. He is a long-striding route runner who never possessed exceptional quickness, but projecting his movement skills after two years in prison is very difficult to speculate upon.

Shonn Greene - Grade 75
    Comment: Greene is powerfully built with deceptive quickness and agility. He shows good inline vision and ability to find a crease. Greene doesn't have explosive speed to press the edges but can be deceptive to pick up chunks of yards. He runs with excellent pad level and can move the pile on contact. Greene shows good hands as a receiver out of the backfield. He has improved as a pass protector but needs to continue to improve.

Brodney Poole - Grade 69
    Comment: Pool has excellent size and athleticism. He has good instincts and ball skills to jump routes but tends to break up the play more than make the interception. He runs well and shows good range in pursuit. Given his size, he isn't very physical in run support but does get ball carriers on the ground. Pool is solid and should continue to develop but is unlikely to be an impact player.

Jim Leonard - Grade 69
    Comment: Leonhard is one of the smallest safeties in the league but has deceptive strength and can get opponents on the ground. He is a smart, instinctive player who leverages the ball well. Leonhard reacts well as plays unfold, understands angles as a run-support player and makes plays in the passing game. His lack of size hinders his ability to ward off blockers, but he realizes his limitations and maintains proper body position.

Kyle Wilson - Grade 66
    Comment: Wilson has excellent athleticism and strength for a perimeter defender. He has great foot quickness and lateral agility in coverage. He reacts well, showing good instincts defending both the run and pass. He anticipates route progressions well to maintain proper leverage in zone coverage. He has the quickness, burst and speed to be effective in man schemes. He shows ability as a punt and kick returner.

Eric Smith - Grade 65
    Comment: Smith had been a career backup but had his most productive season in 2010. He is a good athlete with functional play strength and adequate quickness and speed. He is a competitive player, bringing toughness and attitude. He appears to be an instinctive player who understands angles and leveraging the football. He is an efficient wrap-up tackler when filling the alley versus the run. He is a solid zone defender but may be a liability in combination man schemes.

Mike DeVito - Grade 61
    Comment: DeVito has good size for and strength despite being a bit short for a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. He has a powerful punch and strong hands to hold the point versus the run. He plays with good pad level and has become a better reactor as blocking schemes unfold. He plays with a great motor but has limited range outside the tackle box. He is an average pass-rusher and needs to develop more effective moves and counters to contribute more when rushing the quarterback.

Joe McKnight - Grade 58
    Comment: McKnight appears to be a versatile player who is effective in the running game and as a receiver out of the backfield. He has good foot quickness, balance and agility inline as well as vision to make effective cuts. He shows deceptive strength to move the pile on contact. McKnight doesn't have great speed but has burst to pick up chunks of yards. He is raw as a route runner and in pass protection but has the tools to develop.

14. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

1:) I was using it as a segway towards a couple of things. 1, how do you, as JETS fans, feel about Mason and his performance this year with the new receiving corp.

2:)The Jets Defense has an ADP(Average draft position IN the 5th round across ALL NFL.com fantasy teams, so I guess the 8 million fantasy football drafters must be baddies according to your logic)

3:) No matter how you cut it, Sanchez is just not that good and the fact that those that play fantasy football wont take him until the double digit rounds does say something, regardless of whether or not you want to acknowledge it).

Also, After reading these forums, it seems that many of you(not all) try to make the argument that Mark Sanchez is some fantastic QB in the playoffs. The facts simply do not back that up.

He has never thrown for 300 yards in a playoff game at all. He played HORRIBLE against both San Diego in 09 and Indy in 10(both games Won by the Jets, but good defense and a strong running game helped tremendously).

I understand the need to be loyal to your team, but he just hasn't been that good. Maybe he will be great this year, I hope so, I would love to see him step it up to an elite level of play this year and I am sure you all would too, but to go hanging your hat on misleading statements that he is an awesome clutch and playoff QB while disregarding his inconsistent regular season performance is just plain stupid.

15. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Sanchez isn't good for fantasy so he's not good IRL!!!!!!!

Also, you never draft a defense in the 5th round.

16. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

New York Jets TradeView NFL.com Team Page
    DEF
    New York Jets
    Bye Week8
    Rank4
    ADP68.37(Average Draft position 12 team leagues)
    % Owned99.2

I didn't say I drafted them, I just pointed out where they went in my draft, and what the ADP(Average Draft Position) is according to NFL.com I usually don't like drafting any defense until rounds 8-10 anyway, depending on what is on the board, but I am not gonna argue about it.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Thanks for posting these.

It just confirms that ESPN is beyond retarded. First they say Wayne Hunter is not athletic, despite athleticism being his best attribute and Bill Callahan proclaiming he might be the most athletic lineman he's ever coached.

Then they put a grade on Burress despite not seeing him play. They evidently don't even know who Mike DeVito is based on that write up. Part of Shonn Green's write up says he's shown good hands, which really isn't true at all. Just really don't see the legitimacy of most of these.

Are they equally bad with the writeups for the Pats players?

18. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Matt Schaub and Kyle Orton are really good fantasy QB's.

19. 1. Mason has been a productiver # 2 reciever for multiple playoff teams for basically his entire career. Has he lost some of his break away speed and shifty moves? Sure he has. But now he settles into a # 3 role where he won't have quite the pressure to produce big numbers like he did in Balty. His job will be to help move the chains, provide Sanchez a safety net and be a veteran presence come playoff time. The guy has been a consistent performer for a long time. Is it foreseeable his production slips a bit? Sure. But then again..he's no longer a starter...he's a #3. A damn good option as a # 3.

2. Who cares where anyone goes in fantasy drafts? Maybe front running Patriot fans priorities are dilluted due to the amount of success, but most Jet fans are about winning on the field...not fantasy draft popularity contests.

3. Statistically and on film Sanchez is a sloppy quarterback. He can struggle early in games with his accuracy and with his consistency. He's also only entering his 3rd year in the league, and despite these struggles, has still managed to quarterback a team to 2 straight conference championship. It's not as if the jets have had success despite Sanchez. He has made plenty of big plays and seems to get better w/ every game. Sanchez has the talent and the drive to take the next step and become a legit top 10 QB. If/when he takes that step, he's also going to have crucial playoff experience. Bad news for the rest of the NFL. Who the hell cares where he goes in fantasy drafts?

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Be honest. How many people picked Brady for their fantasy team the first couple of years he started?