Sanchez's Career vs Top QB's 1st Two Seasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Hey anyone remember this bullshit from before last season:

http://deadspin.com/5452869/mark-sanchez-is-the-new-jamarcus-russell-only-worse

Mark Sanchez Is The New JaMarcus Russell, Only Worse
    Jan 20, 2010

Vince Verhei (From ESPN) draws an intriguing comparison. JaMarcus Russell, 2008-09: 198-for-368, 2,423 yards, 13 TDs. Mark Sanchez, 2009-10: 196-for-364, 2,444 yards, 12 TDs. The difference? Sanchez threw more picks. And only six people thought to mention Russell's "poise." Six.

Russell is of course a national punchline, and Sanchez is a famous beachwear model who is praised to the heavens for occasionally passing a football to members of his own team. Verhei ran some numbers, though, and found that Sanchez's top comparable was none other than Russell himself. He mentions the stats above and notes further:

Russell started 15 games at age 23 in 2008; Sanchez started 15 games at age 23 in 2009. The biggest difference is in interceptions, where Sanchez was significantly worse, throwing 20 interceptions to Russell's eight.

-----
    In case anyone missed it, JaMarcus in year 2 had 3 TDs and 11 INTs and was run out of the league. Sanchez had 25 TDs (3 rushing) and 14 ints and took his team to the AFC championship game for the second year straight.

Also if you count Rush TD's along with the playoff stats, Mark Sanchez in year one had 19 TD's and 22 INT's. Much better than the 12 TD's/20 INT's that is always mentioned.

Here is the TGG topic from back then:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=53476

#61 Organized Chaos, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Thanks for your input

3. Organized Chaos

If you add in the playoffs, and count Rodgers rushing touchdowns, last season looks even more amazing TD to INT ratio wise:

43 TDs (6 rushing)
    13 INTs

4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sanchez is a BEAST relax Super bowl!

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Where's the stat for sexy?

6. NJjets1981

NJjets1981 New Member

With the stat for "Almost" INTs, in the useless pile.

7. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I think Rex missed da boat when he didn't bench Mawwwwk Sanchez when he had da chance to, becawwwwse I thought it was da right thing to do.

It's like da thing with Jimmy. When Jimmy was winning ONE game he benched Aikman. He knew dat Steve Walsh wasn't da fuchah, he knew dat Aikman was da fuchah, but he needed to teach Aikman a lesson.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mark wants to step to the next level as a QB in status he'll need to get his completion percentage up to the 60% mark and the rest of the numbers will take care of themselves.

But he can lead this team to the promised land even if he doesn't reach that next level as long as he keeps the turnovers down and has an elite defense on his side. That said I really hope he takes it to the next level cause I'm tired of cardiac finishes and would like a few laughers.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Most of those cardiac finishers were on the defense last season.

Sanchez bailed them out more than once, and in Chicago he couldn't do it again.

That's why I'm not worried about Mark. I'm more focused on the front 7 this year.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Dropped interceptions are imaginary numbers, like negative 4.

What about dropped receptions hurting comp %? Sanchez had a WR corp that was 4th.

How about dropped TD passes? I can remember 5 from last season. Do they factor in too? Or because they don't support a certain case they get ignored.

Fuck the numbers, watch the film.

How come the players and coaches drool over this kid? That's not forced. Mason left Flacco to come here because Sanchez gets it done unlike Flacco, and Flacco has better numbers.

I hate numbers when it comes to football.

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Do you not remember Mark throwing an interception against the Texans with about three minutes of the game left?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sweeeeeeeet. An article about an extremely subjective non-existent stat written by a Patriots fan that has a bevy of results biased in favor of the Patriots and certainly not in favor of the Jets... and it's posted on a Jets board by a Patriots fan.

Don't really care much about a credible argument, do we? Care to post a link for chart for Adjusted Super Bowls Won While Not Cheating (ASBWWNC)?

#72 abyzmul, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

guyzzzz we picked a shitty QB, and traded tons of picks to get him !!111 But he is getting better, and almost got us to the superbowl two years into his nfl career.!!!!

wHERE is the article sayin he sux?!!!

14. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

u can talk all you want about statistics... the real deciding factor when considering greatness is the ability to win.. which obviously is a proven attribute of our QB...

statistics dont take into account game situations...

for instance... playcalling affects the statistics big time IMO...
    with no intention of knocking schotty, i feel a main reason why sanchez's completion percentage is so low is because a lot of the time when a pass play is called, it is because a pass play is necessary for a 1st down... and the defense is more prepared to defend against the pass... if you run on 1st and 2nd down and your faced with a 3rd and long... obviously you know whats coming next if your the defense... if a trend like this is consistent for the season, having a great completion percentage is nearly impossible....

with that being said i do think schotty did a better job last year in mixing up the play calling on 1st and 2nd down... hence the improved percentage

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

When he was hit as he was thrown?

That's different than throwing a pass cleanly and getting it picked off.

16. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

He doesn't suck so let's get that out of the way first. But, he has a lot to improve on. Sanchez has benefited from being on a good team with a great defense and very good running game. But, he has not been accurate. Ranking the 100 QBs that has played a game in the '09 and '10 seasons by completion percentage, his '09 season ranks 86th at 53.8% and his '10 season ranks 81st at 54.8%. He really needs to improve his accuracy if he is going to be regarded as one of the top QBs in the game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pass_td

#76 PatPatriot, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Where does he rank among those 100 qb's in playoff completion percentage, playoff touchdowns, and playoffs passer rating?

18. Organized Chaos

Two things.

First, Sanchez is often considered to be a bad QB. He was compared with Russell last season, and this season people still think he's one of the worst QB's in the NFL, yet his season 2 numbers compare with Ryan and Flacco who are considered above average QBs.

Secondly, Sanchez's accuracy rate went up by 1% from his rookie season, there is no reason to think he won't continue to grow. I'm more concerned with TD to Int ratio and winning games than his completion percentage though.

Also, there have been plenty of great QBs who have had sub 54% completion rate seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pass_cmp_perc

19. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I am expecting this to be Sanchez's breakout season. However, if he fails to put up good numbers, we have to at least consider drafting alternatives. While I understand this team is built around defense and the running game, and Sanchez doesn't NEED to be great - I can't help but imagine the dynasty this franchise could become with a pro-bowl calibre QB.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this is why no one takes you seriously.

And what then when that pro bowl caliber QB can't play well in january?