Sanchez's Career vs Top QB's 1st Two Seasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Wanted to start some decent discussion here, and compiled some stats about Mark's first 2 seasons vs those of some of the better QB's in the league.

Some of the more elite QB's sat for a couple of years, so clearly they had an upper hand in that respect.

He's still got some work to do, but hopefully will continue to progress.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think Sanchez would look much better if you included ALL games from the first 2 seasons, including playoffs. Because guys like Flacco and Ryan both have crapped the bed in their playoff careers so far, and I know Eli was a joke his first year in the playoffs.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Matt Ryan has played terrible in the playoffs. He has more picks than touchdowns. Yet the media is hailing him as the next Peyton Manning(well actually he might be the next Peyton ala big time playoff choker) That pick 6 against the Packers was one of the worst plays ive ever seen, that buried his team and their great season. Everything went down the drain because of that.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The next time Sanchez makes a play that ends his own team's season it will be the first.

5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

What about the most important stat...W's?

He's right up there with the best of them in wins and playoff wins his 1st 2 seasons.

6. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Matt Ryan will win a playoff game this season.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

IDK how much there is to discuss here. 8 of the 9 listed easily have better numbers than Sanchez. The only exception is Brees, who had a better 1st year, but worse second year than Sanchez.

Basically these stats say that Sanchez sucks. Of course the counter-argument is that he has played better in big games than many of them, and was forced to start earlier in his development. Also, he has played in a conservative passing offense which has limited some of those numbers.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Agreed and I don't even see the Falcons making the playoffs next season. And if Matty IcePICK doesnt win a playoff game this season I don't want to hear damn thing about him being elite until he proves it.

Same with Josh Freeman, people are ranking him top 10. I mean honestly can we calm down for a second, I will admit Freeman has played better in the regular season than Sanchez but he wasnt under the microscope either like Sanchez has been. Next year is a big year for Freeman and Ryan, best of all they are in the same division so someone is bound to fail.

One note to... I didnt realize this but the Bucaneers didnt beat a team with a winning record until week 17. (went 1-5) I guess thats what happens when you play the NFC West. To bad they get the NFC North next season. Wins wont come as easy =o

#8 soxxx, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  9. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Sanchez has been impressively clutch in the post season. I hope he continues to develop and becomes an elite QB. Having said that, how well would our offense run with either Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger or Payton Manning at the helm? Better? Worse?

10. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

FO said that Sanchez had the most dropped interceptions in the league last year. The top 3 players in that category(Favre, Romo, Garrard) each doubled their INT total the next year. We'll see what happens with Sanchez.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Is there an attachment I am not seeing in the OP because I don't see any "list" at all. No links, no nothing. Where are the stats LJF compiled?

12. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

How many of the QB's in the list drafted early and didn't play their senior year in College?

1) Sanchez.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That's a fake stat.

14. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

A dropped interception is simply a pass that wasn't caught by anyone. It's covered in the completions statistic.

15. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Rodgers really skews those numbers.

16. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

What game did he miss in 09?

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Sanchez missed a regular season game last season (Buffalo week 17) that would have been a stat padder...good for another 2 TD's if he repeated his earlier Buffalo performance.

Also you have to consider that Sanchez vultures some of his passing TD's by running it in. He had 3 rushing TD's last season (Rogers does this too).

If you account for Sanchez's rushing TD's, his regular season numbers look like this:

20 tds 13 ints

Then, if you add in the playoffs, just for the sake of TD vs Int Ratio, you get:

25 tds 14 int (17 games)

Nearly a 2:1 ratio which is good.

Lets compare Sanchez to Flacco and Ryan in year 2

Mark Sanchez Year 2:
    25 tds (3 rush) 14 int (17 games)

Joe Flacco Year 2:
    21 Tds 15 int (18 games)

Matt Ryan Year 2:
    23 TDS (1 rush) 14 ints (14 games)

Sanchez had more TD's in year 2 than either Ryan or Flacco. Ryan missed a few games, but you can see the ratio of TD's to Ints is still close to the same as Sanchez.

So what will Sanchez do in year 3? Well lets look at year 3 for Flacco and Ryan:

Matt Ryan Year 3 (including playoffs):
    29 tds 11 int

Joe Flacco Year 3 (including playoffs):
    29 TDs (1 rush) 11 int

Both had similar numbers to each other and made great leaps forward after having similar year 2 TD/Int numbers to Sanchez.

If anyone wants to see a bigger breakdown of Sanchez stat wise, I made a long post here:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2223424&postcount=26

The TL:DR version is that Sanchez is very streaky. His good games are very good, his bad games are extremely bad. Nothing you wouldn't know from watching him. The only interesting thing I found was that his bad games seem to come for no reason...he played great against NE twice, and then shit the bed in the one big blowout. He'd sometimes come up huge against good defenses (PIT) only to have a bad game against bad defenses. He is streaky. Contrast this to Flacco in year 2, who had great numbers against bad defenses and a number of poor performances against good defenses.

Sanchez can be great if he can turn his 'F' games into 'C' games.

Also you mention the other elite QB's got to sit for a few years, which was to their advantage. Many of those other QB's also had long college careers, where as Sanchez only started 10 college games.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think it was the Tampa game, right?

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

It that long wall of text I posted earlier, it basically lays out the counter argument. Sanchez in year 2 if you count rushing TD's and the playoffs has similar numbers to Ryan and Flacco. They're also comparable with Eli, and better than Brees (who had a bad year in year 2). They're not in the same league with Peyton Manning, Brady, Rogers or Rivers. Considering how well Flacco, Ryan and Eli did in their third years (technically fourth for Eli) there is good reason to think Sanchez will get better.

The only thing that is abnormally bad for Sanchez is completion percentage.

20. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

This chart is comparing apples and oranges.

In order to get a better read-out you need to compare Sanchez Year 2 to everyone
    else's Year 1 to get comparable measures.

Sanchez was a junior coming out, so Sanchez Year 1 was equivalent to his senior year in college.

When you compare Sanchez Year 2 to everyone else's Year 1, you have a comparable measure and you will find that Sanchez tracks very nicely - middle of the pack or better - compared to his peers.