Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Bilal Powell will be throwing him around on the sidelines when they try to high-five each other.

2. K14Howard

K14Howard Banned

Maybin will be a beast..

3. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I bet Maybin just made Rex Ryan and Tanny smile a little bit.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Maybin has been SICK tonight...he may have just made this team lol.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I was going to post about Maybin at the tail end of the 1st half, but bit my tongue.

I think I can see why Bills drafted him with 1st round pick; he had something Jets D lacked the previous few years, that is an OLB that could turn around the corner and pressure the QB. He indeed seems to have elite closing speed - which Rex craves a lot. At the end of 1st half, he fell on the ground because 1. the defense basically knew he was coming and 2. the turf was wet. If this kid learns to play LB like he's supposed to, possibly this could turn out to be a major steal. Remember. Jets D under Rex never had an OLB that could close in, and still managed in top 3.

I know I am going on a limb here, but here is hoping Maybin does turn out to be 1st-round worthy player. (Then it would mean Bills suck that much worse. har har har.)

6. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Couldn't agree more about your post. His closing speed and ability to turn the corner is the one thing this defense has been missing since Rex came here. I think the one thing that most Jet fans who are against this signing or dislike Maybin forget, is the role he will have on this team. He is not coming here to be an everydown player or live up to being the 11th overall pick. He is here to do one thing, and that is rush the QB. He's been with a terrible Buffalo D, this has had 3 or 4 different defenses in his 2 year tenure there, and clearly there was a falling out with him and organization. Again, he is still 23, and if he stayed in college, would just be coming out now. There is no denying he needs to add on weight if he wants to be an everydown player, but FOR NOW, he is the PERFECT fit IMO for what this defense needs. I don't think there is any veteran out there with as much upside as this kid as far as pass rush ability goes. For this defense, as a DPR, with tons of talent surrounding him, and being fortunate to get coached up by Rex, this is a huge steal.

7. zllehs

zllehs New Member

It's a little too early to say I told you so to the haters and doubters so I will bite my tounge until the regular season lol

The guy has 1st round talent or atleast close to it so at the price tag of the gets minimum he was worth the risk

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

[​IMG]

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't know if this guy will do anything for us but in one game on a short week of practice he showed more than gholston did in 3 years.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

this guy will get pancaked 80% of the time...only thing he has going for him right now is his speed and the ability to tackle...Vernon the Ghost was a misfire 99.6% of the time

11. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

12. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

That'll happen when Rex invites you to the buffet table.......

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He does need to put on at least 15 pounds of muscle indeed - doing that while not losing his elite closing speed would be the task. If that happens though... you know, be careful what you wish for. :grin:

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

i like Maybin alot, main difference between him and gholston is the passion for the game. Maybin loves football and u can tell, i doubt if Gholston ever liked it that much.

15. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Aaron Maybin played a helluva 4Th quarter in a preseason game.
    His performance thus far ranks up there with some of Browning Nagle's finest moments as a Jet.

16. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

17. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

18. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yea i liked everything that he said in the interview. I hope he's going to be part of special teams also. Seems like he could be a great replacement for the Ihedihbo role.

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I have to admit this made me chuckle.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner