80s/90s uniforms

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by srqman1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. BleednGreen247

Bring back these helmets

[​IMG]

2. zllehs

zllehs New Member

lol the maniax? the XFL?

3. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Yeah, they had some of the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen.

4. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

I like the 80s/90s helmets more than the current, but our current uniform color scheme is cleaner and more classic-looking. I think the two could mesh together only if you were to make the helmet a darker shade of green akin to the uniforms. Was never all that crazy about the kelly green to begin with.

5. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

6. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

What I don't get is that the 80-90's Jets had BLANDER jerseys and you're the one who likes them so much. The old 80-90's Jets had the most generic uniforms on the face of this Earth. The uniforms we have now are ICONIC in football. They are the uniforms the Namath-era Jets wore when we beat the Colts in Super Bowl 3.

7. zllehs

zllehs New Member

both are bland.... the 80's-90's jerseys are the lesser of 2 evils (logo is much better though)
    if they went back to those i would just start complaining a year later anyways lol

i want something new altogether

and i know where this jersey is from and its importance
    but for the love of god that was almost 1/2 a century ago
    what looked good in the 60's looks old today
    We arent the yankees or the steelers or the celtics our jersey isnt iconic and synonymous with our sport

a new logo that actually looked like a jet with a jersey design that consisted of more than just a base color and couple simple double stripes (maybe even adding some black to the jersey and logo) would be the way to go to move our look into the modern times

its ok to change it... it ok to enter the 21st century

#67 zllehs, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. zllehs

zllehs New Member

just out of curosity who do you guys think has the best jersey in the NFL?

my vote goes to the falcons

[​IMG]

that white jersey pants combo is flawless
    this uniform is coming up on 10 years old now and still looks fresh
    one of the best logos in the league too

i would love a black white green mix like what the falcons have

9. steves850

steves850 Active Member

10. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

The NFL's jerseys are not going to all change in 2012. Nike is taking over the production of NFL uniforms, so they might change the precise materials the jerseys are made out of. But they won't have any creative control over jersey design.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The kelly green is awful, I wouldn't mind our old jerseys w/ the new draker green. Ibelieve we will be wearing 80s era throwbacks at some point- I'm not sure if it will be this year though.

12. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Hey! I actually really like the old-school Chargers uni, dammit.

13. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

The problem with these “new” & “exciting” logos and jerseys is that they end up looking outdated and tacky really quickly. Whoever mentioned that the Patriots uniforms scream 90’s is totally right (RMorin). Their uniforms look like something out of the Arena Football League. Shoot me if we ever have uniforms that look like something out of the AFL.

Overall I think the best sports franchises have distinguished, classic logos and jerseys that underline heritage, not “flash”.

On a slightly different note… a few seasons ago the Tampa Bay Lightning hired Steve Yzerman as their GM. Last year one of the things Yzerman did was overhaul the jerseys. The Lightning have always had these cheesy black and silver jerseys with a flashy lightning bolt logo that looks really dated and bad. They overhauled the jerseys and logo and went with something much more simple. Yzerman said the look he wanted was “bold”, “classic” and “iconic”. Sounds similar to the redwings, who also have one of the best jerseys in the NHL.

Anyway getting back on track, I think Yzerman has the right idea when it comes to jerseys and logos. The best ones are ones that have heritage, will always look classic, and aren’t glitzy and flashy because that quickly turns gaudy and old.

With respect to whoever posted the new Winnipeg Jets logos, while those look cool right now, in a couple years those are going to get old. The best jerseys are the ones that are classic and timeless, in my opinion.

With that being said, I think the Jets have one of the classiest jerseys in the league right now. It’s simple, which is key, the colors are good, and there’s nothing odd about it. I’m not in any hurry to see the jerseys change any time soon. However, I do think it would be badass to have a week where they play in the retro 80’s jerseys with the old Jets logo – just for a week some time.

14. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I wish football teams had crests like soccer teams do. Very classy.

15. nyjunc

I don't think teams care if the look gets outdated, that's when they bring out a new logo and sell more merchandise.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Can't say or show it any better than this. :up:

17. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I prefer the current/retro shade of green to the 80's green, but that's just me. I would be fine with using the 80's unis for the throwback game instead of those dreadful Titans uniforms. That, or use the ancient helmet logo with the airplane that has been posted here.

For the record, I prefer the old Patriots logo to the silly space-age one. And, the Chargers '63 unis are the best looking ones in football. http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/173365/52de53f01c8e9ea4a77170b55f574593-getty-_medium.jpg

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Agreed. It looks like Buffalo has gone back to their good old ones, too. New England should but they've actually been a ton more successful in the current ones, so they'll probably keep them.

19. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

While we're on the subject of other teams' retro jerseys, one team that should not ever bring back their retros again is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That tang orange is just an eye sore.

20. nyjunc

I love those uni's.