A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

And the Jets rushed for a combined 2374 yards to the Patriots 1973.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

kind of...... two rookie TE's, had great seasons. Woodhead/Lawguy, and random WR clowns. the WR's arent really good lol. Look at Peyton Manning. He can throw at you, and make you look good, so can Brady.

Jets scored other ways?

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The redzone offense was terrible last year. Not much more to say than that.

4. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Players relevant to proving your point invalid don't count? Sorry.

5. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

The fact that you had more touchdowns on the ground has more to do with your offense as a whole having the ability to move the ball downfield in the red zone in position to score at the goal line. Our offense was anemic much of the time, and we could not simply pass until we got to the 5 and then punch it in like the patriots could. Our Red zone offense in general sucked, so stating that the Patriots had a better red zone run offense means very little when taking into account the fact that our offenses in general are polar opposites in that regard. I'd love to see the Patriots try and run the ball week in and week out with 8 guys in the box and see how they do then.

BJGE and Woodhead do not scare me as much as Greene and LT would in Pats uniforms, it is not even close. There is nothing BJGE does that makes him unique or threatening as a RB, Chris Johnson has his speed, Peterson has strength, what does BJGE have that intimidates opposing defenses? Absolutely nothing unique about him talent wise that would separate him from the pack. With Greene, the one thing he has going for him is that he hits people HARD and can drive defenders back to gain extra yards not to mention he has some impressive break away speed for a big running back; and no I am not comparing him to CJ and AD, but with Greene he at least has a distinguishing characteristic that is useful unlike BJGE who is purely a system driven running back, and the same goes for Woodhead. You put any of these guys on another team as a feature back and they will fail miserably because they simply do not have the skill set or talent to be featured backs in the NFL. Whereas Greene; though he will never be a Curtis Martin, will have a successful career as "the guy" for the Jets coupled with a complimentary back or two.

I find it hilarious that you insinuate Jet fans are in a Fantasy land for thinking our running backs are better than yours, I didn't realize that BJGE and Woodhead were Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders.

You are comparing Danny Woodhead to one of the greatest running backs to ever play this game who in his 30s, is still better than how good Danny Woodhead will EVER become. It is just delusional to think that Woodhead brings more to the table in NE than what LT could bring on the ground and in the air as a receiving option. And I would pick Greene over BJGE any day of the week, because as I said before, there is nothing about BJGE that would give me a cause for concern as an opposing fan, but with Greene my cause for concern is on 3rd and 3 and shorter where he can just bulldoze defenders out of his way to get first downs, or be able to break through the 1st and 2nd lines of defense and then have enough speed to break a long run. (I anticipate an evidence-less and exaggerated comment about how Greene has fumbilitis so don't bother)

Finally, even with your new additions, I would still take the NYJ running backs because of OUR new additions. You forgot to mention McKnight in the first place, who is going to become a big part of our offense this year, along with Bilal Powell who we drafted this past year who looked promising in his first pre season game.

So at the end of the day I will take the cast of Greene, LT, McKnight, Powell, and Conner over BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, and Veree because the guys the Jets have actually differ in play style to make a more diverse backfield whereas the guys the Patriots have are simply people who can run in space and catch passes from Tom Brady.

#225 Rex's Sweater Vest, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

^^ What he said.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

OK... I'm not sure that justifies dismissing the argument entirely though...

8. 624

624 Banned

I think you are arguing for the Patriots rushing attack, not their running backs individually.

(Which still is in favor of the Jets, but a different argument nonetheless)

Just like it's reasonable to say the Jets have better receivers, but we would sound stupid to say we have a better passing game.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

From what I understand, I cant remember where I read this but Belichick was legit have a spazz attack on the sideline, and was completely losing it on the sidelines. They said he was acting like the Patriots were down a huge amount of points even though it was only 7-3.

I think he told Rex what happened when they shook hands and apoligized about Welkers comments.

10. 624

624 Banned

Shit, soxxx found us.

Time to go hide in another thread.

11. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I always enjoy seeing the influx of Patriot fans before the season, before the first meeting, then disappearing until the next game. Luckily they also disappear after their first play-off game.

12. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

He'll never look in the Burress thread.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Alright when I wake up tommorow ima unleash hell on Patsfan. Better get ready...

14. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I don't waste time writing huge blocks of shit about stats that no one wants to read.

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

The Patriots definitely had more redzone opportunities than the Jets, but that does not change the fact that they were able to do better (rushing) ONCE THEY GOT THERE than the Jets were (44% success vs. 40%). You describe Greene as a large, powerful back who can push for those 'extra few yards'... yet he was almost entirely ineffective in the scenario (red zone carries) where that is most useful. He scored TWO touchdowns all of last season.

None of the backs discussed have the speed of CJ or the power of AP. Why does a RB need to have one distinguishing feature to be considered talented?

Greene is big and powerful, yet he has been unable so far to fit into the role of a 'Power Back'... what does that say for him?

BJGE has average speed, average elusiveness, above average (but not elite) power... but he is more consistent in terms of producing 3-4 yds EVERY CARRY, and also far more careful in protecting the ball than Greene is.

I honestly think that Woodhead is a more capable back than LT is at this point of time, and I do not mean that just within the realms of their teams. You point out that LT has an illustrious career, but that is obviously irrelevant in this discussion. He hasn't been effective running the ball since Week 6 last year, and you guys never took advantage of him in the passing game. He does not scare me much at all anymore.

That is fine. I don't completely blame you for that. I just think it is a lot closer than most Jets fans want to admit.

16. gopats88

gopats88 Member

No you write short, generic, quips... which are far more meaningful. The people responding obviously took the time to read my post.

#236 gopats88, Aug 22, 2011
  17. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I hate those position-by-position analyses that people try to do all the time. No offense to anyone who attempted one of those in this thread, but I don't think that's the most accurate way to determine what'll happen in the head-to-head matchups. My personal preference is to take the simple approach:

Patriots offense vs. Jets defense

The Pats have to get a power running contribution from someone to overcome the same problems that they had in the playoffs last year. Judging by their roster, Ridley figures to be the guy. It's tough to tell how he'll measure up, considering the season hasn't started yet. The guys who are short on the power running style (Vereen, Green-Ellis, Woodhead, etc.) figure not to make as big a contribution because the Jets' D-Line will likely plug up the middle while the LBs and CBs seal off the edges. The Jets also proved ready for a lot of NE's trademark RB and WR screens when the chips were down.

Besides the fact that they have an all-time great coach and QB, New England will be able to exploit what figure to be the Jets' chief weaknesses, which include covering shifty waterbug type receivers and skilled tight ends. The Pats have two gifted guys in Gronkowski and Hernandez. In what figures to be a close matchup almost every time out, either of those guys having a big day could mean the difference.

Also keep in mind the Jets may not be able to get to Brady very much if Solder makes a smooth transition.

Jets offense vs. Patriots defense

Patriots' D will almost certainly be better this year than last year, especially rushing the passer. Moving Mayo to Will is probably gonna do their QB pressure a ton of good. You also have to figure that McCourty coming back and adding guys like Dowling will give the Pats some shot at trying to contain the Jets' receivers. I still don't think the D-Line mishmash will produce above-average results, but they may not need a big boost from them if the LBs and DBs come through. Belichick has always been creative in getting his personnel mixes to work.

If the Pats are successful at stopping the Jets' run game, they may be able to do well shutting down the air attack. On the flipside, though, the Jets figure to move the ball effectively if the Pats need to toss an extra man in the box. It's just tough going against Plax AND Holmes one-on-one if both are in good form. A lot will depend on how well Sanchez can develop rapport with those two and Derrick Mason. One guy he already has good rapport with is Keller, who can have a big day if he goes overlooked.

Special Teams

I'd call this one fairly even as both teams are very well-coached and will probably have a few stud contributors. The likelihood of a game-breaking play coming from this area is slim to none as both sides are too well-disciplined. Each kicker has had his ups and downs-- Gostkowski is no Vinatieri, and Folk is a roulette wheel in the form of a football player.

Overall

In my opinion, these matchups will hinge on which team gets its short game going first. I say that because the Pats have had a ton of success substituting their West Coast style short-to-medium passing for a viable run game. The Jets often use their power run game to set up everything else. Whichever team can stop the other's short game has an overwhelming shot at winning. For the Pats, that'll simply give them the opportunity to outscore the Jets as they have the smoother offense. For the Jets, it opens up the mad scientist kit for Rex & Co., and Brady has historically not dealt with that well.

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I've read your 'analysis' in the past. Here's some of your meaningful prognostication for why the Pats were going to blow out the Jets in the playoff game.

From 1/09/2011:

IIRC, the Jets won the game in decisive fashion. If you'd like, I could post more pages of similar drivel you posted that week. It's pretty funny.

#238 James Calvin, Aug 22, 2011
  19. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Am I supposed to be ashamed that I though we were better than the Colts? or that my team was going to win that game? Sorry, but I'm not.

Obviously you are in a position to say "I told you so" after winning, but that doesn't make it unreasonable for a fan of a good team to argue the strengths of said team and expect the win.

Many Jets fans were saying things much worse going into the 45-3 game. I don't know whether you were one of those fans, and don't really care to search through your post history, but did you not think that the matchup favored you at the time?