Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tomjet529

tomjet529 Member

cant keep weight UP?? resign JENKS as the eating coach!!

2. Martin is the man

IMO pretty good pick up low risk high reward kid looked amazing in college

#202 Martin is the man, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. my85olds442

my85olds442 New Member

gawd, its the second comming of Vernon Gholston.. Vernon Gholston light?

4. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Looks like he tripped over the air ..haha

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's difficult for them not to when I've locked them in the room.

...what?

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Not saying that this guy is going to turn into LT, but looking at what we have as OLB pure passrushers it cant hurt. His weight is up to 240-250lbs and the guy can run, he played for a dog shit team and for coaches that flat out suck. Granted this guy doesnt always show alot of heart but maybe we can polish this turd into something.

7. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I think the "so what if he sucks,his contract isn't guaranteed" argument is a bit misleading. Yea, he may not hurt us financially, but him getting a shot is taking reps away from someone else who isn't light in the ass. I agree it's low risk but some people are acting like it's NO risk high reward. That's simply not true. If that were the case, we all could go sign with the Jets and get cut. With a normal off-season, I'd be all for the move. In a shortened off-season like, I'm 50/50.

I got ridiculed before for mentioning this, but I would rather bring in a vet for a cheap 1 year deal who @ least knows what they are doing. The only question would be what they have left in the tank. The way Marion Barber laid him down like a bitch, he might only have sugar in his tank.

I hope this works out though. One thing I am impressed with is that he ran a 4.5 40. I'm sure theres some way to make use of that in Ryan's D.

NYJetsMan7...Best avatar I've seen on this site!

8. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

He's only 13 lbs lighter than Clay Matthews and gained a lot more as of late, he's not 228lbs. He'll get weight on soon enough

9. Franchize

That very well may be. I'm not arguing that at all. I just think it's unfair to dismiss some posters' skepticism about this guy.

Also, anyone here concerned with the reports in 09 of him using PEDs to bulk up? I'm not saying they're true or that I believe them. I'm just saying the reports exist and may put a different spin on his inability to maintain weight. Heres one of the few links regarding it.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We aren't committing anything so,as others have stressed, this really isn't a risk for us.Worst case scenario is it doesn't work out and he'll be gone next season with no cap ramifications.
    As far as taking a roster spot from someone else who may have more to contribute that's the risk you take with a lot of players but if Rex sees potential I say we have to give him a shot.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

A moronic argument if there ever was one.
    Aaron Maybin was a bust as a 1st rd pick... but giving reps to him is a much better investment than giving them to the likes of Eddie Jones or Brandon Long (our 3rd string OLBs atm). If you haven't noticed this time of the year rosters are pretty big... it's not like he's stolen a place on the final 53 man roster. Some of the guys who are on it right now will never ever EVER be on a 53 man roster... cutting one of them doesn't mean shit.

Plus you think anyone on this site is anywhere near the athletic level of Maybin!?!?!?!? -.-"

#211 Mambo9, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  12. Franchize

Who knows? I have friends who are as big and run as fast. They just don't play football. Unfortunately, a lot of them are Giants fans. Are you suggesting all Jets fans are weak nerds or out of shape, couch potatoes? Is that a prerequisite for being a Jets fan? May explain my continued allegiance to this team.

No Aaron Maybin is a bust...period. His play isn't even worthy of a 5th round pick. However, notice I said I'm 50/50 on the move. I just said it is unfair to get mad at the people who are skeptical. At the end of the day, he did stink up the joint in Buffalo, so I don't get why people are acting like it's blasphemous to have doubts about signing him.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1. Big and fast is NOT the definition of athletic level!!!

2. It's fine to be skeptical... it's moronic to think a guy brought in for 500k to fight for a roster spot will destroy our D and this franchise.

/

14. Franchize

1. PLEASE show me where I said that he'd destroy the team or our D. Please! I'm begging you. Holy Shit dude...calm the fuck down. You are sucking him off like he's your pimp. Relax! I said CLEARLY I was 50/50 on the move.

Aaron Maybin is Lawrence Taylor, Patrick Willis and Clay Matthews combined. He was sent here from the heavens, to the Jets, as a Pass Rushing Saint! Start the dynasty now...Aaron Maybin is here! Let's elect him as president. I'm sure his brilliance will translate into politics and fix our economic woes too. HAPPY NOW? :up:

15. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Have you considered decaf?

Your opinion seems to be that Maybin has never been able to play football. His college career seems to indicate otherwise. His pro career, to date, contradicts that. Paying him minimal $$$ to find out which one is right is cheap and essentially risk free.

Your hyperbolic, hystrionics are unwarranted.

Chill, Winston.

#215 Donttasemebro, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the odds of this particular experiment are worse than Seattle's odds to become this decade's dynasty, but the thing I really take away from the situation is that the Jets have become a team that will, without fail, cover every single base they can possibly cover while staying true to their overall goals.

It's not unheard of for a guy who was given up on to come from nowhere with a new attitude and physical skills that had gotten him recognized in the first place, but reality is that it's more rare than we want to believe, even though we've witnessed the unlikelihood repeatedly with this team.

Low risk, unknown benefit move that affects the overall direction of the team not at all.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If the guys problem is he can't keep weight on who better then Rex to turn this guy around.

18. Franchize

No, my opinion is that while he's mediocre, I'm still 50/50 on bringing him in. However, I do get why some people are against it (He stunk it up in Buffalo). I also get why some people are for it (as you mentioned, he did have some success @ Penn St). I just don't get how anyone can be viewed as "stupid" or "moronic" for either stance.

What gets me is when people jump down others throats for valid concerns. However, when someone had the audacity to say Maybin was brought in here to give us inside information on the Bills, and that barely received any backlash. People joke. I had jokes on Maybin. Big Deal. He was a bust in Buffalo. People act like it's blasphemous to question any move Tannenbaum has or hasn't made. Last time I checked, we haven't won a Superbowl in my lifetime. Tannenbaum isn't the oracle of the NFL and neither is Rex. I like the guys (I actually think Rex is one of the best coaches in the league) but acting like they can do no wrong IS NOT a requirement of being a Jets fan.

19. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

welcome to the internet

[​IMG]

20. Very unlikely this move works out. 9 times out of 10 these first round busts don't have any difference in production even with a change of scenary. However these are the things working in the Jets favor and why I think they made the move.

1. Word out of Buffalo was that his biggest issue is inconsistency with his playing weight. If that is the case, the Jets are a good fit for him as they managed to figure serious weight problems w/ other high draft picks like Bryan Thomas and D'brickashaw Ferguson.

2. Above all else Rex values closing speed with his outside pass rushers. That's why he loved jason taylor a year ago despite Taylor not being the player he once was.Jt still had the closing speed to get to QB's. He feels that even if the player doesnt have the greatest technique, ability to break blocks or a multi-dimensional game...he's going to get them free or matched up w/ an RB with his scheme. As such, what it boils down to is closing speed in order to close the deal and rough up the QB. Maybin struggles w/ disengaging blocks, technique and overall power..but he does have elite closing speed. Rex feels if he can get him as a free rusher or isolated on a smaller RB...he can produce.

3. Jets saw the guy 2 times a year since his rookie year. You'd like to think they have a pretty good scouting report on him and they saw something they liked.

Again, unlikely this works out...but there are some reasonable notions as to why the move transpired.