Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

What is it now? 12 years?

2. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I know some Bills fans have dropped in to say that Maybin doesn't have the skills to go to safety, but I'm thinking that maybe Rex has sub packages in mind where Maybin plays some special role where he either supports the run stuffing effort out of the defensive backfield or sneaks around like Ihedigbo and Coleman used to do for a clean shot at the QB.

In other words, he would line up somewhere near the safety spot but wouldn't actually be required to play safety in the sense that he'd never get a cover assignment. I know that's a big stretch, but that's the only way I can see a 230-pounder making it on a team like this to be any sort of contributor.

Surely they'd never ask this guy to be a 3-4 OLB and sometimes DE like Thomas, who weighs about 40 pounds more than him.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I would rather have signed a replacement for Turner but whatever.

4. Montana

Montana Member

ConorTOrr: already in. Nearly beat Clifford on the right side and missed a sack by a 1/2 second or so.#Jets

(Gholston reference in 5....4...3...2....)

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Do you think this move was done in place of that? One has nothing to do with the other. The Bills paid him to play for us basically. If he does stick around we pay him $600k.

6. Montana

Montana Member

1) He's currently 242 lbs....and has added 16 pounds over the last two weeks.

2) He was brought in to be a pass rusher....period.

3) He lined up at left defensive end in a four man front today, with his hand in the dirt....

7. MadBacker Prime

Also I see people still mentioning his weight. Cimini tweeted that he lost weight due to illness and is already back up to 242.

If it was illness related or not it doesn't matter, all that matters is he's gaining weight now.

Put any position label on him, who cares. Rex said he was brought in to rush the passer so he's just another DPR.

Clay Matthews is 255, so if he gains 13 more pounds will you all be happy with his weight?

8. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

What was his weight during this impressive pass rush (4 days ago)?
    [YOUTUBE]qvb9kUeXrQ8[/YOUTUBE]

9. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It will be interesting to see if he can do something in a different role- if he even makes the team. He's obviously not going to see a lot of snaps if he does make the team.

Were there any standout players in the Bills D last year? Seems that they were in the bottom 10 in every defensive stat. Did anyone on the team manage to overcome the coaching staff and play well?

10. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I love these folks who somehow think that signing maybin has anything at all to do with determining if we need to sign a replacement for turner. LOL.. two totally different issues.

11. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

I love this move

Could be a beast pass rusher. If he doesn't work out, it won't cost us much

12. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

Sup Jimmy? How's life on the cuck farm treatin' ya?

To answer your question the D was predictably atrocious last year, and DT Kyle Williams was the only one who stood out.

13. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

A more appropriate metaphor would be that Buffalo is the withered dandelion drooping from the frayed band of America's humorously endearing plaid beanie.

14. MadBacker Prime

JennyVrentas: "Maybin said he lost 10, 11 lbs before camp bc of illness. He's abt 240 now, wants to get back to 255. #nyj "

Happy? I wonder how Drew Coleman sacked QBs weighing only 180. I think the fix is in.

(sarcasm) for those that can't detect it.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

My (likely to be cut) backup LB

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

This is a hilarious thread. People are behaving as if this is the Mets acquiring Gary Matthews Jr. to be the opening day center fielder. It isn't. It's the Jets giving a guy a third line shot.

-X-

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

If anyone can get anything out of him it will be Rex. I'm assuming that if Rex sees potential we will keep him.

18. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I changed my mind after thinking about it, not a bad pickup still need to hit the OL FA market!

19. ........

........ Trolls

Didn't you know we can only deal with one person every 72 hours? Tanny must be going crazy with anticipation.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well wouldn't it be something if the jets could pick up another teams trash and turn it into quality play.....

seemed to always happen to the jets back in the day.

he gets swallowed up by the OL so they have to keep him on the edge and in space. likely part of the situational 4-6 or 3-5 packages.

jil