vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

That's perfect actually. GM's don't spend high draft choices on 3 year projects at Guard. That's what late round and UFA are for. I'm pretty sure Tanny wishes he had a do over on that one.

At this point, Vlad is a 3 year project to be a backup.

2. 624

624 Banned

Vlad's hopeful future position is tackle, not guard.

3. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

His hopeful position is anywhere he can get a fucking spot dude! His only hope is Moore retiring after this year, and back dooring a spot on this line. RT is far too important for Vlad to play, and he's not taking Hunters job away any time soon. At least at Guard he can be hidden a bit and won't face the talented edge rushers that would smoke him on every down.

Let me edit your statement a bit:

Vlad's hopeful future position in his third season is backup tackle or backup guard.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is why I refuse to go round and round. 624 stated a fact and its being dismissed.

Rex and the FO want him at Tackle. Due to injuries, he's been thrown all over the line. They want him at RT.

They don't want him to play guard. He's had to out of necessity.

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I was never convinced about this; he's a really heavy 6'4" which is a perfect build for a guard but a little short for a tackle. His arm length (34" and change) is ok for tackle but again, less than ideal. Your ideal tackle, especially at RT, is more of a 6'6" or 6'7" tall guy.

He's not way too short or anything but he's an inch or two shorter than perfect for tackle--and exactly perfect for guard.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's completely fair. But then we had different expectations.
    His run blocking is NFL caliber. His pass pro, when in position, is good enough to manhandle 2nd stringers, and do okay against starters. That's a backup who's still raw - right on par with what he was last year with no offseason this season. And that stadium wasn't empty. Its Texas. They stay a lot longer than we do. Our fans are shit compared to any fan in Texas. They love football, they stay.

I agree.

no, there were idiots who said cut him now. That's why I went over the tape. He needs one more year. How is this a bad thing for a project with no offseason this year? Because he's a 2nd rounder? I don't care where he was drafted, all draft picks get 3 seasons. Pick 1 to 256 get three fucking seasons.
    He's going to give up one more sack this preseason. That's just going to happen. And he showed he can run block all game. He's going to take Turner's spot as the 6th OL this season. I will guarantee that, which is a high risk guarantee on my part.

Another VG comparison.... ugh.

7. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Just watched the first half of the game and Vlad seems to be getting off the snap a fraction behind the rest of the line is tentative as heck and seems to be getting his hands slapped away from getting in the chest of his guy both at guard and tackle.

The play where he totally whiffed on his run block too busy getting to the next level was attrocious. Mulligan did his job, Kroul got his guy out of they way and moved up. I swear Vlad was watching Kroul on where to go

back to technique and footwork for him for the next while I reckon.

Not saying he can't come through this because Callahan is too good and I don't reckon McNally will quit on him.

I do say all of this as middle aged overweight guy sitting on his couch you understand

#247 southsidejet, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Nothing was being dismissed at all- it was a bullshit statement about Vlads "position" I am aware that ideally, Rex would have liked Vlad to backup the RT spot, and have Turner to backup G/C. They had Vlad all over the place last night hoping that he would not look awful at any one position.

Vlad will play wherever he's least horrible, and they will make him the backup by default. If signing a backup Tackle is the best fit for this team, you think they are going to pass on him because that's Vlads spot? Give me a fucking break. He hasn't earned the backup spot at either position.

#248 bigcotch, Aug 16, 2011
  9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so you reject reality and substitute your own?

okay

10. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

You and 624 are wrong on this. We really don't know whether they wanted Ducasse to be a guard or tackle.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Rex said it in the press conference. I'm know I'm not wrong.

12. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I don't even know what you are getting at.

Vlad missed out at Guard last year, and he's not unseating Moore or Slaus obviously. Turner is the swing man at G/C. Hunter earned the RT spot, so that obviously leaves Vlad at backup Tackle. I get it.

Now Hunter is hurt, and the guy is going to play whatever position is left after we sign another lineman. Vlad isn't going to dictate who we bring in at the other backup OL Spot. We could easilly sign a backup Tackle, and Vlad would be back to guard.

Bottom line, and the point I was making was, Vlad hasn't earned ANY spot for this team. His hopeful position is anywhere he's not horrible.

Hopefully we just fucking sign Woody. We need backups at C/G/T

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

When he was drafted, Mike T. said he would play left guard or right tackle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5130870

From the article:
    Ducasse will get a chance to compete immediately at left guard. Tannenbaum wouldn't commit to that, saying it would be left guard or right tackle. But he did say that "we're going to keep playing around with that over the next few days."

Unless you mean Rex said he wanted him to play guard this year. That I'm unsure of.

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

At the initial draft press conference Rex Ryan repeatedly said he'd be a guard.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...nference/47d81b55-79f7-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9

Tanny said he'd work at both guard and tackle. http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...om-UMass/47d84450-79f7-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9

Which position did they think he'd play? Maybe the plan all along was to have him take Woody's job in 2011 they're not going to announce "we have the RT of the future right here folks". On the other hand they might have wanted him to play LG and they just didn't want to say he had that spot until he beat out Slauson.

#254 ManlyGenius, Aug 16, 2011
  15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I should have been more specific:

Last night's post game PC. They realized he can't play guard very well and he's more suited for Tackle. But he's playing guard due to the injuries to Mangold, Moore, and now Turner.

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

is this stupid thread still going on? It is literally amazing to me that some of your are so profoundly stupid and ignorant when it comes to football and OL specifically that you are seriously going to judge a very good looking young Lineman based on a few mistakes in preseason game 1 of his 2d season. LMFAO @ you morons.

Vlad also had some great fucking blocks last night.... did anybody care to mention that? LOL.

FWIW although he was a dominant LT in college just on the basis of his quickness, size, power and work ethic, Vlad was slotted to be a guard or maybe RT when he was coming through the draft process by pretty much every team that was looking at taking him. He played 3 positions last night and he looked good at guard and less good at rt. but he had good plays at each and every position he played. Plus as I think some have pointed out - Mcelroy f$cked up some calls last night which resulted in linemen not knowing the correct protection was and that usually results in breakdowns at the LOS which lead to sacks and hurries and turnovers. i love the idiots in this thread who think they even know what was actually going on during a particular play much less pronounce that a 2d yr man is a "bust" because of a sack in preseason game 1 - absolutely moronic.

Preseason G1. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've been trying.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Whoa, AbdulSalam as the voice of reason. Right on!

BTW, you spelled Salaam wrong.

19. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Tell us how you really feel.

20. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

While I agree it might be too early to judge Ducasseā€¦I also don't think he is worth defending just yet. Let people call him a bust and let him prove them wrong. I refuse to give anyone the benefit of the doubt until this franchise wins a fucking championship.