vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

You can't fix stupid. If he can run block, fine, use him in those situations, but for god sake get him the fuck out of there on passing downs !

He's gonna get a QB seriously injured.....

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Project right tackle who switched to the position this offseason...
    No mini camp OTA's because of the lockout...
    Still 3 games left in the preseason...

calm down

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You're just telegraphing plays if you do that.

4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

There is more at risk than just a preseason game.

I am not one of these "bust watchers". I have normally been all for giving guys a shot to develop. But if last night is any indication of this guy's "progress" over a season, he has to go. Last night this guy was a danger to everyone else on the offense and is to blame for Turners broken leg.

I just hope they cut him before he gets Sanchez or Brunell a concussion or worse. The guy's potential is one thing, but risking a whole season for the team is another.

5. There's no denying Vlad has problems in Pass protection. There's also no denying his performance last evening was a immense disapointment.Who knows..maybe he doesn't get any better and is released a year from now.

But the majority of his issues are mental with picking up assignments. He is extremely apprehensive about committing to a pass pro assignment pre-snap. When that happens he gets happy feet at release, doesn't make good contact/punch and gets twisted like a pretzel.It's clear as day.

What people fail to acknowledge is that he had a few fantastic drive blocks in the running game. Additionally, I'll go as far as to say that when he was confident pre snap...he did a decent job in pass pro.

You'd like to think his current shortcomings are correctable. Time on the field in practice and in games, combined with film room and hands on coaching w/ Callahan should in time, get him much more comfortable with assignments and being better prepared pre snap. It looks ugly...and that's mainly because of the position he plays. People only remember the bad plays and when the QB gets nailed..the mistakes get magnified.

I'll go on record saying that it's still early in his development and that I believe he is going to surprise alot of people when he starts playing with confidence. Flame away.

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

With all due respect, what is pathetic about being concerned with Vlads lack of progression? After last night, are you really confident that he just needs more time before he develops into a legit starting lineman? Be honest with yourself.

Vlad got owned all game by rookies and backups. This isn't like freaking out over Slausson getting run over by Ngata on one play. This isn't like Brick where he had his ups and downs as a rookie, but showed an obvious progression.

Of course the jury is still out to some extent, but I know I have adjusted my expectations from Vlad quite a bit, and I think even his biggest defenders have to say the same thing. At this point, he looks to be another year away from being a capable backup. I'm sure we didn't draft him so that in 3 years, he'd be a serviceable backup.

I can't see how anyone could disagree with this, but I'm interested to hear something solid to support the other side of the argument.

7. BookEndTackles 72&79

It's undeniable that Ducasse struggled last night in pass protection and that kind of play is unacceptable. Obviously, he needs to improve dramatically and he certainly has shaken my confidence in him a bit.

However, the coaching staff has put alot on the kid's plate and it's obvious he isn't picking it all up. He played three positions last night and each position has their particular nuances, blitz pickup, footwork, technique, etc. He doesn't seem to be the brightest guy in the world and he is thinking too much out there rather than being instinctive. He seems to do fine in the power running game when it's time to blast straight ahead and get to the next level and he seems fine once he engages the defender and can drive him off the point of attack. Those things don't require alot of thinking.

At this point the staff needs to consider sticking him into the one position he feels most comfortable in. Let him learn and develop at that spot so he can focus with a more clear headed approach on the things he does well before his confidence is shot. I can't say I know where that spot is but Rex seemed to think he was more comfortable at tackle than guard. We might need to carry an extra OL on the practice squad until he starts to pick up the mental approach to the game.

8. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

the last post was pretty accurate...vlads issues come from not knowing his assignments... and the only way to get that down pat is by practicing and studying his assignments day and night.... now it is only year 2 and it is definitely possible that if he becomes a better student of the game maybe he can be a reliable backup, mayyyyybe a starter one day...

but either way, we CANNOT keep him out there with the 1st team offense

9. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he is a player that really needed ota's this year

10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Awwww..Shit! Dis guy is calling all u ppl stupid cuz he knos football since we all dont kno dat we dont kno it and cuz we dont realize it

you sir are a twat

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I love how because he had two bad pass pro snaps his run blocking skills are dismissed and pissed on.

The tape doesn't lie. I know what I saw.

Why he can't get better at pass protection and picking up assignments is beyond me. No one else watched the tape, so until someone does and offers me counter analysis that is lucid and strong, the alarmists can fuck off.

I'm not trying to defend him - he needs a lot of work and is still a full year away from having the thought of protecting any QB. But the tape showed he did his job most of the time. He's not Adrien Clarke.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Good post.

Rex did say in the press conference that he wants Vlad at RT only, but with the injuries it made it difficult and he had to play 3 positions on the line. Vlad is truly being thrown into the fire.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Right now, we really can't risk having him in there at the same time as Sanchez, no matter what position he's playing..

I'm not giving up on him or saying he's a bust or yada yada.. but we really can't put Sanchez at risk like that in the preseason.

14. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I wish Vlad was as good as Adrien Clarke.

When a second year players pass protection is so bad that he lets up 3 sacks to second/third stringers and rookies, that's enough to let me know he's a year away from being a backup if he's lucky. I don't care if they averaged 10 YPC running behind Vlad- if he lets up 3 sacks to poor competition in a pre-season game, he's a complete liability, and shouldn't see the field this season.

Only having half your game at a decent level doesn't help. If Shonn Green fumbled the ball once every 30 carries, it wouldn't matter how well he ran the ball, he wouldn't get on the field.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You can keep averaging in mistakes and doing the math for what it'll be for a game or season, but its pointless.

Like I don't know what the averages will be. If that's your only response then let it go.

The kid had really good moments and really bad ones. I'm not saying he's going to start next season, but to write him off like he's Mike Haight is stupid. And Adrien Clarke sucked worse and you don't even know it.

If your his staunch opposition on this board, then he'll probably stay on a roster for a while in this league.

Watch next week he gives up zero sacks. What then? Then let's average that over the course of a the season. Zero sacks in a game times 16 is... holy fuck is going to be great in that case.

Stupid fucking argument.

16. What you're failing to acknowledge is that other than a great swim move, the other sacks were not a result of being physically inferior or beaten...but rather from mental lapses. It doesn't matter WHO the competition is or isn't, if you don't know your assignment you're going to get beat..back-ups or pro bowlers.

I will repeat again...when he appeared confident with his assignment...including against the 1st stringers....he held up ok in pass protection. Additionally he was much better than "Decent" in the running game...he was paving huge holes.

My point being...if he can get his assignments down, and start playing with confidence, he has the physical talent to far exceed being a back up by next season.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Exactly.

Once again the good football minds of TGG know their shit.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I agree. Great analysis.

For those whining like it was their nuts getting stepped on last night, I'd point out that once upon a time, your new RT Wide Open Wayne Hunter, wasn;t good enough to get on the field.

He's now the starting RT, on the best line in football.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

/thread end. lol