About the Jets being around 7 mill under the cap...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Anybody read something about this? No one seems to be talking about it but it sounds as quite a big deal to me.

Best info I could find on this is dated Aug 4:
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/capoptions.php

2. Rework the Mark Sanchez Contract

All summer long I felt the Jets would create cap room by fronting Sanchez money in the form of a bonus and spreading the cap charge out over the next few years. Sanchez publically stated that he was open to reworking his deal for the team and it was confirmed that the Jets did at least approach his agents about possible restructures. Nothing happened. Part of it was likely because the Jets needed him to be allowed to practice for the first week of training camp, which the 2011 transitional rules would not have allowed had he restructured, but with so much cap room it doesn't seem like there is much of a reason to reduce his $17 million cap charge.

But perhaps the Jets never considered a restructure about reducing his 2011 cap charge unless absolutely necessary. Maybe the talks were about increasing the cap charge. Sanchez stands to count for $14 million against the 2012 salary cap with the potential to earn even more money based on his performance during the season and possible playoff wins. The Jets did not sign Nnamdi Asomugha and will know shortly if there is any reason to hold cap room for Edwards, so why not use all this cap room to reduce the burden for 2012? If the Jets have a few million to spend in 2011, why not give it to Sanchez? Let him carry a cap charge of $23 million and reduce his cap charge in 2012 to about $8 million.

With the 2011 offseason essentially over this has to be a high priority for the Jets. Get the accounting in the best possible shape for 2012. They have until late in the season to make such a deal with Sanchez, but it would probably be the best use of the cap room they have created and really benefit the team next season when they will likely be active again in trying to sign a pass rusher and wide receiver, two very high priced positions.

I'm guessing:

A. Extending/Re-working Sanchez (to clear cap room in 2012)
    B. Extending Pouha
    C. Some under-the-radar FA or trade!?

PS In other news... with the new CBA will the dead money of players cut before the 2011 season be counted in 2012 or never? Reading different things...

--- Sorry if alread discussed, been away and couldn't find anything on TGG. ---

#1 Mambo9, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Extend Pouha!!!

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

He's 32 years old. How interested do you think he'll be in coming back as a depth player once Kenrick Ellis takes over the nose? This is probably the only contract he's going to get from us.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Shoulda kept Ellis.

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

How about re-structuring so we don't have such a shitty cap number next year?

6. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Older players aren't bad, look at Brett Favre.....wait...point taken lol

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Kenrick Ellis is very raw! Not Ducasse-like raw but I don't think he'll be ready to be a starter in 2012.

On the other hand Pouha has only really been a starter for 2 yrs (in the league for 6) and has been nominated captain for the season... I'm sure he'll be kept around another 2/3 years, and not for small money.

8. 624

624 Banned

Not for $5 million.

9. 624

624 Banned

Pouha will definitely be a high priority for a new contract.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I read there is carry over for unused portions of the cap. It was in an ESPN article. No idea if it is for a portion or the full thing but that may explain why the Jets are standing pat with that much cap room.

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

If Pouha gets hurt and the job falls to Ellis and he doesn't look, I don't think we're going to be giving Pouha starter's money (since that's what he'll undoubtedly be looking for) to be a backup.

12. 624

624 Banned

Well it's a whole different situation if an injury is involved.

Pouha doesn't have much wear on his body, plays a position where it is possible to play into your mid-30's at an effective level, and can play multiple positions on the line. He's also proven to be a capable captain and leader now as well.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The odds of that happening are slim to none in 2011... the fact Ellis is a genetic freak doesn't mean he's ready to start!

This I agree with...

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I hope making him a captain doesn't make Pouha think he has more leverage than he actually does. He's an average nose tackle in this league. The fact that average nose tackles are harder to find than average players at other positions makes re-signing Pouha a bit more complicated than say... Brodney Pool.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

We needa restructure for next year. Our 2011 team is ready and set to go imo, we could make our future even better by restructuring.

That 7 million next year could be the money needed to resign Plaxico if he performs well.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA you've got to be kidding me...

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Yeah I saw that too. I don't know if all the unused money or just some if it can get pushed into a future year but it seems Tanny has been using every possible way to get money for the next couple years in place.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im not saying to spend all 7 million on him obviously,

19. All Star

All Star Active Member

We might have to.

If he asks for as much as 3 years, $7 million total we might just have to concede to his contract demand. :wink:

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Might be needing some of that money to sign a somewhat reliable offensive lineman if Turner is hurt for any extended period of time, especially because it's not looking too good for Ducasse out there tonight..