Could the Patriots cut Ocho Cinco and Haynesworth?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nixhead, Aug 14, 2011.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Ocho came to the Pats with just one year and $6 million left on his old Bengals contract. He's now under New England's control through the 2013 season, with a $1 million base salary in the first year. Ochocinco will likely be year to year after that. His 2012 and 2013 salaries are both worth $3 million. Aug 10, 5:39 PM
    per rotoworld.
    Hayneworth signed a "restructured" contract with the Pats.
    Albert Haynesworth signed a restructured two-year contract when the Patriots traded for him last month.
    The deal was actually "signed" on August 4. We don't have bonus information, but Haynesworth's base salaries are $1.5 million (2011) and $6.7 million (2012). In other words, it's really a one-year deal with a pricey club option for a second season. If Haynesworth doesn't perform to the level the Patriots expect, they should be able to cut him without remaining commitment.
    Also, per rotoworld.

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Not saying this will absolutely be the case, but not for nothing, we pounded the Titans the year Haynesworth went off and got paid, so I'm hardly scared.

3. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Haynesworth restructured his contract so he only will make $1.5 million(down from $5.4 million) but he can make as much as $5.85 million total with incentives. It's essentially a one-year deal with the Pats because his 2012 base salary is $6.7 million plus $500,000 in bonuses.

Ocho's base salary this year is $1 million(down from $6) but he got a $4.5 million signing bonus so he essentially took a $500,000 pay cut. His next two years his base salary grows to $3 million with a workout bonus of $100,000 in both years as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_haynesworth_restructures_contract_081011

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4699681/patriots-limit-risk-with-contracts

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I highlighted this above, but...if these 2 moves work out, BB looks like a genius (again). They are boom or bust moves, for sure.

5. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Ocho is not a boom or bust IMO. He'll be a middle of the road player, which will help in the offense for sure adding a WR of his quality as the 3rd option. People are expecting too much from Ocho this year I think. With the way Brady spreads the ball around, don't expect a Moss-type resurgence from him. He'll be solid, but unspectaular. Somewhere around 55-60 catches for like 600-700 yards and 5 or 6 TDs.

As for Haynesworth, no one knows what to expect from him because of the crap he's pulled in his WSH days. The potential is there with Wilfork to form a great DT combo, but who knows?

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yeah, good post.
    I should have put it like, as long as 85 fits in, he can do great things there. Him, Welker, Woodhead and Branch with those TEs, you guys should score at least 3 TDs a game.
    I personally think Haynesworth is done, but fuckface has taken on guys like Dillon, Harrison, Moss, etc. who looked like they might have been done and they weren't. Haynesworth comes off as a pretty immature guy, so...who knows?

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Out of the 2 I see Haynesworth as the most likely to be gone.

8. ........

........ Trolls

IIRC, they restructured to push money into the 2nd year of their deals. I think both dropped their base salaries for this season into the $1.5 million range.

EDIT: Haynesworth dropped his base to $1.5 mil and has incentives that can push it up to almost $6 million. Since the incentives are based on playing time, and since NE currently has a heavy rotation in place, I'm guessing he sees $3 - 3.5 million.

Ocho reduced his base to 1 million by pushing money into 2012 and 2013, which means there are probably incentives attached to his contract as well.

EDIT2: Should have read the whole thread first lol

#28 ........, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. ........

........ Trolls

Price certainly has a lot of talent. He looked good in the preseason opener, whatever that's worth.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i hope he is cut. a motivated albert wouldnt be fun.

11. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Ocho is redundant in their scheme...isn't he essentially going to play Branch's role? He's not particularly fast, and he gets pushed around the LOS...

I think they cut Ocho if anything and keep Albert. Ocho doesn't scare me, Fat Al on the other hand..

12. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

You're right in that he's not a burner, but he's more physical than Branch and Welker. They need someone on the outside to run those timing routes outside the hashes and on the numbers and Ocho best fits that role for now. If Taylor Price keeps developing like he does, he'll start to take some of Ocho's targets. Personally as a Pats fan, they need every WR to contribute so the defense can't solely gameplan around Welker, Branch, and the TEs.

13. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

ocho is a hard worker with great footwor and good hands.he will do fine in that offense for 14 games this season

14. ........

........ Trolls

Nice touch there.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't k ow why a lot of people here dismiss ocho as useless. He may not be a threat against us, but he will still be a threat in the NFL with Brady throwing him. Look at his previous QB. Palmer is very close to being a below avg QB after the injury. Or was. See Randy Moss move to Patriots. 85 will have a huge season n I doubt he gets cut. He's not essentially a locker room cancer, just a clown after TDs. Not the worst case scenario. I can see Ocho having a 1300 yards season with 10+ TDs.

Fat Albert may not really be wat he was in Tennessee. He will be slow, as evident by his failed conditionings n physicals in Wash. Even then, a $1.5 mil gamble has great potential for boom, and no real value to call it a bust move.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Haynesworth is making MUCH less this season (1.5 this year). Ocho is making almost the same. Ocho's base is $1 mil, but includes a $4.5mil signing bonus, so he is actually making $5.5 this year (vs $6mil he was originally slated to earn).

I doubt they'll cut either, unless Haynesworth's knee makes him physically unable to stay on the field.

Haynesworth's demise is greatly exaggerated. He had a shit year last year, yes. He was playing in a scheme he went out of his way to avoid when he became a free agent and was put on the nose of a 3-4. Folks can say he was a jerk and unprofessional about it, and they'd be absolutely correct. You can also say Shanahan fucked things up by forcing personnel not suited to a 3-4 to play it anyway.

His first season in Washington his stats were not far off from his Titans numbers (he played 2 less games). Also, because he was taking up two blockers, Andre Carter had a career high 11 sacks playing next to him.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The best part of this story will be watching Bellishit, 85 and Haynesworth squirming when the inevitible questions start storming down on them Monday.

18. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

They will just ignore the questions and spew the regular. Why do you think they will be "squirming"? When has the media gotten under BB's skin before? Even with 'spygate' "Its an unfortunate situation but we're just going to move on and put this behind us".

I don't think anyone on the Patriots is afraid of the media, they all keep a cheat sheet in their pocket with the standard 0 information answers.

edit: This article is 100% "Look at me" and speculation. It's 0% inside information. It's someone who wants to believe that AH will be useless because if he happens to play he will most likely be a force.

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Pats were co-odds favorites (with the Packers) before they signed either.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

First, the Pats designate who will be available for questions and when. So this is not an issue. Belichik will do what he always does, ignore the question. He never addressed the issue when Moss was rarely on the field in his first Pats training camp and speculation went rampant with rumors like this.

Rumors like this have zero impact on the Pats training camp.