Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

See...We're almost at consensus.

Schotty has NO short yardage offense....It's not just 3rd. It's not getting the ball out of Sanchez' hands in 3 seconds. Lower his rushed total, increase his compl.%. With our running game and defense, if Sanchez is over 60% We'd almost never lose a game. 13/14 wins.

2. ........

........ Trolls

I don't know about a consensus. I certainly don't agree that he's one of the worst in the league, and I think plenty of people think he's bottom 5 at best. IIRC, we had more of a short passing game VERY early on with Sanchez, but he had a tendency to stare down his primary read, which led to defenders jumping the routes. He progressed to a weird little hitch read that he'd use to look off defenders, and finally to trying to progress through too many reads. It's a developmental issue and rests in large part on Sanchez himself, but he's gotten a hold of it better. This season will be telling. I expect Sanchez to take a step forward, and if we still have problems with the short passing game, we'll know where the blame likely lies.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's not unusually for young QB's to be uncertain what they are seeing at speed during a game against a new team. Even after reviewing tape all week it's simply not the same. As much as you might like the OC to plan for hesitation and inaccuracy by his young QB it’s simply not possible.

As far as the politics I'm happy to keep that in the BS section and keep my lack of reasoning regarding football seprate from my lack of reasoning regarding politics. (blow me smiley)

#2323 Biggs, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't think we are at consensus.

I, for one, doubt all the Schotty bashers here bash Schotty for the reasons I bash him, let alone those bandwagoners who understands very little.

Believe it or not, short passing attack requires much better QB than the air-it-out offense would dictate. Going short passing attack with Sanchez in his early years is not a good call. I don't think Steelers did that with Ben either - they took care of short and medium yardage with rushing attack, and Ben was left with [simple but safe reads] - which is usually not equal to [short yardage receivers]. Unless you start using some of the concepts like clear outs and as such, short yardage receivers does not necessarily equal to safe read. (And it's one of the concepts rarely used in Schottenheimer offense. Not used often, but it is still there - you really have to DIG it to find it. Hah!)

The reason why you need a better QB with short passing attack is because 1. you have to know where the receivers are going to be at each precise read timing 2. you have to know (or should be able to anticipate at least) how the defense will react, leaving holes here and there. Look. You are lining up to 10 guys at the line of scrimmage. If you think finding holes from the short field with 15+ guys moving around is either safe or easy, you are deluding yourself.

As for the Jets... I believe they have the OL to grind out good chunk of yardage out of the rushing attack, provided they added some imagination. (And I do NOT mean they should try that triple reverse shit. I really hoped somebody shot Schotty when he dialed that shit up and failed each and every time. What he fuck????) Say, we have a very good, mobile and athletic OLs. Why don't I see any of the counter trey kind of stuff? Are we using the OL to their maximum potential? I have to say we are not.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are my main gripe with Schottenheimer, and I don't expect them to be fixed this season (sadly.)

1. He loves to sit on the clock. Mark has been seen barking at the sideline, demanding plays. More than enough times last season alone. But Schottenheimer will draw delay of the game penalty before fixing this problem. He just loves masturbating with the time he has on the clock.

2. Brutal 2nd down calls.

3. Multiple receivers in the near zone. (This one cannot possibly be on Mark or Rex, no matter how you slice it.)

4. Not utilizing the OL enough with the rushing attack.

#2324 Zach, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. ........

........ Trolls

Great point, and definitely speaks volumes about Brady. I've been criticized in the past for calling him the ultimate system QB, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm demeaning the guy. Their short passing system is incredible, and nobody could execute it as well as he does.

6. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

The thing I don't like about Schottenheimer is that he doesn't take advantage of a short yardage passing game. If we're trying to eat up possession, I don't know why we wouldn't do that.

7. Hobbes3259

NOr do I think hes bottom of the barrel. I just think he overlooks the obvious because he thinks hes brilliant.

8. Hobbes3259

:rofl2: Well played.

9. Hobbes3259

You're delusional. the 3 step drop is predicated on a pre snap read.

Your assertion also makes Matt Cassell Tom Brady. Maybe they are, bit if they are it is systemic.

10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

One of my main beeps with schotty is not letting a rb get into a groove. I can't stand to watch the rb be subbed out every play. Can our rb's get a series at a time. Only 2nd to qb's rb's need to get a rythym

11. ........

........ Trolls

Definitely possible, although I do think he has been handicapped a bit with a young QB for the reasons I mentioned above. I just hope that he doesn't grow MORE 'creative' as Sanchez grows. I'm very curious to see what happens over the next few weeks of the preseason. The early reports out of camp have low completion percentages and high INT rates for Sanchez against our staunch D. Here's hoping that Schotty doesn't feel a need to correct things with the playcalling.

12. Hobbes3259

Thats why Moore is here. the FO gets it.

13. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

How is it brainless if it's visible with your own eyes? Steels goal-line late game. That's ALL you need to watch. I still get sick thinking about it.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Didn't Keller drop a TD on 2nd down on that drive?

15. ........

........ Trolls

Ehhhh. It was a botched play. Schotty couldn't get the play in due to 'technical difficulties', and they didn't have a backup in place so Sanchez rushed it. It was a doomed play from the start. The complaint is that, with 3 downs from the 1 yard line, it should have been Greene, Greene, Greene.

Of course, IMO, if you can't hear the play call, the safest thing to do is call a run if you're Sanchez.

16. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I was not very impressed by Schotty's play-calling last night.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

3rd and 12 going for 5 yards up the middle doesn't excite you?

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Oh boy, complaining about preseason playcalling?

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The only thing I see that's concerning is the OL. Granted we haven't seen our starters all together yet but the fact is without getting very high quality play out of our OL this team isn't going anywhere. Not only have we looked bad for 2 weeks in a row we haven't been able to show any fire on basic straight ahead running plays. The personal we have in now are simply being overmatched.

20. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I've said it before...The guy does not understand down and distance. It's like he comes to games with a list of plays he's going to run, in order, and no matter what the situation is...he's going to call them. As inconsistent as Sanchez is, he looked his best last year when he was in no huddles and 2 minute drills. I think it's a testament to not having to adhere to Schotty's ultra-conservative play calling.

A lot of people point out the obvious (the Steelers game). My problem is more so with his calls on the 1st two downs in games. It seems like we're always in 3rd and longs because we don't make things easier for ourselves on 1st and 2nd down. Schotty has no creativity. I know a lot of the blame rest on Mark's shoulders but let's be fair.